Authentic Bucket Seat Styling, With Head-Rest!

classicseats

My latest find, a Teddy Tot universal car seat from 1977. It's new in the box with the instructions. For 1977, it's pretty crude. Bucket seat styling? Wow! There were other seats in '77 I would consider "bucket" seats, not this one. The price then, $20.95! What a bargain! At least the directions were easy to follow. Oh, Exceeds all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standard, too!

Link to the rest of the madness, http://www.pinterest.com/vintageseats/vintage-car-seats/

Attachments

• DSC03789.jpg
    DSC03789.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC03790.jpg
    DSC03790.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC03792.JPG
    DSC03792.JPG
    577.9 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC03793.JPG
    DSC03793.JPG
    595.9 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC03795.JPG
    DSC03795.JPG
    545.6 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC03796.jpg
    DSC03796.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 99
ADS

cookie123

I didn't really think there was much in 1977. It's probably better than what I expected. Enjoy your find! It's pretty.:)

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Just in case anybody wants to know (without reading the whole article) what Consumer Reports had to say about the Teddy Tot seats in 1972...
Teddy Tot 6200 (International Mf. Co., Roxbury, Mass.), $13. On impact, seat shattered and upper part broke off. The dummy's head did not contact the instrument panel; but severe distortion of lower-to-middle spine was noted on dummy, and abdominal penetration was evident. According to manufacturer, this model is the same as the Sears Cat. No. 85285, $12 plus shipping (not tested).
Teddy Tot 6600 (International Mfg. Co.). Poor restraint location resulted in spinal distortion on impact. According to manufacturer, this model has been discontinued.

But, to be fair, those were earlier models. I suppose there's a theoretical possibility that this model performed better. ;)

katymyers

Just in case anybody wants to know (without reading the whole article) what Consumer Reports had to say about the Teddy Tot seats in 1972... But, to be fair, those were earlier models. I suppose there's a theoretical possibility that this model performed better. ;)
:eek: that's really scary!!!

jjordan

So my mom is visiting this weekend and I asked her about what car seat my sister and I used as newborns. We were born in 1975 and 1977. She said she thinks it was called a bucket seat, and it looked a lot like the seat of our baby swing, except that it had high plastic sides all around. It had a 3 point harness and the seat was all molded plastic without padding. It was used rear facing but she thinks it could also be used forward facing. Any ideas on what that would have been?

I asked if it was unusual to use car seats and she said she thinks lots of people used them just to have someplace to put the baby, but didn't necessarily strap the baby in. She was always very safety-conscious and so I'm sure our seats were used in full accordance with whatever the instructions said!

She says she thinks we had at least one Fisher Price seat at some point, but doesn't really remember if and when we did have it. The kids in our family were born 1975 through 1983 and I think at least one of us would have been in some sort of car seat until at least 1986-87 or so. I have a vague memory of some OHS car seats in our car...

BabyKaykes

Guessing the lower spine injuries were from wearing an adult seat belt and having the gap between the seat back and bottom? The thought of a baby being partially pulled through that space is horrifying....

Welcome back classic seats!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC