Pavlik Harness -- will an infant seat work?

cookie123

I haven't met the family so have no idea what seat they might have. A doc came by and put one on a newborn - 8ish lbs - with a fractured femur. He said it generally works with the car seat when I asked. To myself I was thinking -really?

Any experience anyone?

ADS

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
When I worked in a day care there was a baby that had one. I think they had to undo some of the Velcro, do up the harness, and redo the Velcro, just the same as with diaper and clothing changed. The baby did fit just fine.

jubgulia

Pavlik harnesses are usually used for hip dysplasia and for that purpose it should work fine to just redo the velcro, but femur fractures are another story.

DS3 had a Pavlik harness for 2 fractured femurs when he was about a month old. We were anticipating fractures, as he has Osteogenesis Imperfecta, and had already gotten him a Maxi-Cosi CabrioFix carseat with a 3 point harness just before he was born. I don't know how I could have buckled him safely in a regular 5 point harness. We could not just undo the velcro because that was holding his bones in place, supposedly. Although it didn't do a good job and he fractured the femur again WHILE IN the Pavlik harness. They also wouldn't give him anything more than Tylenol (pretty worthless for bone pain) for the pain, so movement caused more pain.

If I had to do it over again, I would have him splinted appropriately (toe to chest) with the material hardening while sitting in the carseat so it's at a comfortable angle. Then it would not be an issue and he could have been safely buckled in a 5 point harness seat. That and get better pain meds.

If it will not cause the child pain to have the velcro redone every time he goes in or out of the carseat then that is probably the way to go if he cannot be resplinted.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC