Are there advantages to riding rear-facing even if you're never in a crash?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Does the stop and go of traffic put any wear and tear on a kid/baby's body?

I feel like it would be a lot easier to get people to ERF of they felt like it benefitted their kid on a day-to-day basis -- not just in a crash.

Somehow every time I brake the car, I feel better knowing that my kiddo is rear-facing. But is there any actual logic to that, or does being rear-facing only actually help in a collision?

ADS

Baylor

Does the stop and go of traffic put any wear and tear on a kid/baby's body?

I feel like it would be a lot easier to get people to ERF of they felt like it benefitted their kid on a day-to-day basis -- not just in a crash.

Somehow every time I brake the car, I feel better knowing that my kiddo is rear-facing. But is there any actual logic to that, or does being rear-facing only actually help in a collision?

How fast are you stopping and going??? ;)

sarahlove

If you have to come to a sudden stop Im sure it helps.
We've had to slam on the brakes to prevent hitting a car not too long ago and everyone in the car, except rf dd, had a sore neck.

Suzibeck

I've heard it is good for ankle, knee and hip development. I don't have any links to back that up though.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
My husband had to slam on the brakes pretty hard not too long ago, and when we came to a stop he took a deep breath and said "I'm so glad she's rear-facing. That stop could have strained her little neck."

Also, she still sleeps in the car A LOT and she's over 3. I can't imagine she'd be as comfortable.

And she doesn't kick my seat, which aside from being one of the most annoying things of my adult boys' toddler years, also reminds me that she actually has somewhere to rest her feet instead of letting them dangle and fall asleep.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My mother (who is an OT) was telling me about a study she read for one of her CE classes about children not spending as much time weight-bearing on their arms and legs in the early months due to Back to Sleep and lots of time in "baby devices" leading to less tummy time, which led to shorter, less developed limbs (including shorter limbs long-term, though I don't know how long the term of the study was.) The way she explained it was that when children don't push their arms and legs against things, putting weight on them and exercising them, and the arms and legs are not stimulated to grow as much. So... which would be better for a young child if pushing against things and putting weight on limbs is necessary for normal development, legs dangling FF, or legs pushed up against a back seat to kick and stretch and exert weight on? Yep, RFing with their legs able to kick and bend and push.

That is, of course, assuming that children spend so much time in the car that this is going to be a large factor in their development. Which it usually wouldn't be, but hey, I suppose it could happen.

bnsnyde

I always hated when my son went FF b/c his neck would flop more as I made the car go. But that was before I knew to RF to at least 2, 7 years ago. He was 14 months when he went FF.
Now we aim for 3 or more...or past the 2nd birthday depending of the seat. My kids are so tall.

carseatmama007

Ever since I turned DD forward facing, she complains when I have to suddenly stop... maybe because moving forward into the chest clip hurts her more than going into the shell of the seat with her back?

She also complains about where to put her legs/feet. She's constantly switching positions (it reminds me of someone who has restless legs or something) trying to get them comfortable.

Oh, and she kicks my seat. And complains she's too cold when I have the air conditioning on because she can feel it directly now and she gets cold easily. And she's not as comfortable sleeping.

_juune

Well, this will depend on the size of the car and seating positions, but I've quite often heard complaints from parents that FF children kick the back of the driver's or front seat passenger's seats, which can be annoying :eek: [Maybe it's because we have mostly smaller cars over here.]

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Heehee. Most of our cars aren't THAT big that it prevents kicking.

Kicking is a HUGE annoyance.

When my boys were preschoolers (like 15-16 years ago), I had a cop show up at my house once because the kids annoyed my (now ex) husband so badly by repeated kicking of his seat that he pulled the car over and yelled at them (possibly hit them too, not sure since I wasn't there) and someone took down his license number and reported him.

I had a hard time getting too bent out of shape over it because I knew how incessantly they kicked no matter how many times they were told not to. It was SO annoying! What I didn't know then, but know now, is that it's probably because their poor little dangling legs must have been horribly uncomfortable. If I'd realized, I would have given them something to rest their feet on, both for their comfort and for my sanity. We didn't have extended rear-facing seats available back then so that wasn't an option.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC