Question I need a shallow convertible booster?

U

Unregistered

I'm a father with two toddlers that ride in my truck every morning to daycare. I have an extended cab Silverado (full size pick-up) and both kids ride in the back. My daughter is big enough now that she needs to inherit her older brothers RF/FF seat so I'm in the market for a shallow convertible booster for my son. He definitely still needs to be in a 5-point harness but I'd like a convertible so this is the last seat we buy for him. His mom is shorter than I am so he rides behind the passenger seat but even with her legs VERY close to the dash, his legs don't fit behind the seat so when mom is with us he is uncomfortable. I need the safest shallow convertible booster I can find (that's affordable) so the poor boy has some leg room. Help and Thanks!

ADS

1mommy

Hi and welcome! Sorry I don't have any specific advice for you on seats as my son is too young for a combination seat at 18 months. BTW just to avoid confusion, the proper name for the seat you are looking for is a combination seat. Convertible Car Seat refers to rear facing/froward facing, and Combination Car Seat refers to harness to booster seats.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along and give you some suggestions.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The Evenflo Maestro is shallow and affordable, but it is outgrown as a booster very shortly after it is outgrown as a harnessed seat, so you will need at least a backless booster after the Maestro.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the correction in my terminology. Yes definitely a combination seat and not a convertible. I have read about the Maestro on here already but the listed specs make it seem fairly deep actually. I've looked at the Safety 1st Go Hybrid which seems to be pretty shallow according to the specs. Does anybody have any experience with this seat or something of similar size? Thanks for the help so far.

Lovatic24

My dad has the same truck as you do. We have the Evenflo Securekid 400. There is tons of room for eveybody and it's not too expensive. It is also a neutral black with white accents. And 2 cup holders. They have it in store at Babies R Us.

cookie123

I also have the EVenflo SecureKid 400 and it's not a huge seat. It installs easily and will last a long time height wise - most kids outgrow their seats by height before weight. For a forward facing seat, the harness should be at or above the child's shoulders, so you want a seat with tall harness slots and the SecureKid fits the bill on that. It also has a 65 lb weight limit, so it should last your child a long time. My grandson rides in one and he's almost 6. He's very wiggly and can't stay in position in a booster seat yet.:)

Also be aware if you're installing with LATCH that you need to use the lower latch and the top tether. Also know LATCH has weight limits and at some point you'll need to install with the seat belt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC