Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

I need a shallow convertible booster?

I'm a father with two toddlers that ride in my truck every morning to daycare. I have an extended cab Silverado (full size pick-up) and both kids ride in the back. My daughter is big enough now that she needs to inherit her older brothers RF/FF seat so I'm in the market for a shallow convertible booster for my son. He definitely still needs to be in a 5-point harness but I'd like a convertible so this is the last seat we buy for him. His mom is shorter than I am so he rides behind the passenger seat but even with her legs VERY close to the dash, his legs don't fit behind the seat so when mom is with us he is uncomfortable. I need the safest shallow convertible booster I can find (that's affordable) so the poor boy has some leg room. Help and Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: I need a shallow convertible booster?

Hi and welcome! Sorry I don't have any specific advice for you on seats as my son is too young for a combination seat at 18 months. BTW just to avoid confusion, the proper name for the seat you are looking for is a combination seat. Convertible Car Seat refers to rear facing/froward facing, and Combination Car Seat refers to harness to booster seats.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along and give you some suggestions.

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

The Evenflo Maestro is shallow and affordable, but it is outgrown as a booster very shortly after it is outgrown as a harnessed seat, so you will need at least a backless booster after the Maestro.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

Unregistered

Thanks for the correction in my terminology. Yes definitely a combination seat and not a convertible. I have read about the Maestro on here already but the listed specs make it seem fairly deep actually. I've looked at the Safety 1st Go Hybrid which seems to be pretty shallow according to the specs. Does anybody have any experience with this seat or something of similar size? Thanks for the help so far.

My dad has the same truck as you do. We have the Evenflo Securekid 400. There is tons of room for eveybody and it's not too expensive. It is also a neutral black with white accents. And 2 cup holders. They have it in store at Babies R Us.

7. Thank You from:

I also have the EVenflo SecureKid 400 and it's not a huge seat. It installs easily and will last a long time height wise - most kids outgrow their seats by height before weight. For a forward facing seat, the harness should be at or above the child's shoulders, so you want a seat with tall harness slots and the SecureKid fits the bill on that. It also has a 65 lb weight limit, so it should last your child a long time. My grandson rides in one and he's almost 6. He's very wiggly and can't stay in position in a booster seat yet.

Also be aware if you're installing with LATCH that you need to use the lower latch and the top tether. Also know LATCH has weight limits and at some point you'll need to install with the seat belt.
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

9. Thank You from: