all they see is the age 12

mumof2

there is talk of changing the car laws over in Australia so that childrne have to be in booster until they are between 145cm and 150cm or 12 years of age. so basically whichever comes first.

a few FB pages have people saying 12 is too old to be in a booster..my 12 year old 165cm my 10 year old is 155cm.

arghhh do these people have no comprehension..if their 12 year old is under 145cms they would not have to be in a booster.as they have reached the required age...if their 9 year old was 160cm they have reached the minimum height to be out of a booster so no longer need to be in one.

I would say that most children would reach the height of 145cm by 12 years of age?

ADS

Baylor

12 seems old to me. I get about 57 inches? Which is 4'9". My son is almost that at 9. He 5 steps in some smaller cars but still uses lbb.

auto correct hates me

mumof2

most children wil have reached the required height at 12 years but you will get a few who wont.

Recent research in New Zealand and Australia shows that children need to use a booster seat until somewhere between 8 and 12 years of age (Elizabeth Segedin, 2006).

All 4 and 5 year olds required a car seat or booster seat
90% of 6, 7, and 8 year olds required booster seats
50% of 9 and 10 year olds
10% of 11 and 12 year olds still required booster seats

Baylor

most children wil have reached the required height at 12 years but you will get a few who wont. Recent research in New Zealand and Australia shows that children need to use a booster seat until somewhere between 8 and 12 years of age (Elizabeth Segedin, 2006). All 4 and 5 year olds required a car seat or booster seat 90% of 6, 7, and 8 year olds required booster seats 50% of 9 and 10 year olds 10% of 11 and 12 year olds still required booster seats

I think that is the issue. The few who won't at age 12 are just that few. IMO It should be more gaged toward the majority.
Here it is 8 which I think is a little too low. I think 10 would be better. auto correct hates me

Suzibeck

I hate age requirements and even really the height requirements as kids are built differently. Just use a booster until the darn seatbelt fits! My 11 yo 5-stepped in the Jetta at 9 and the 3rd row of the van at 10 but she still uses a booster unless we need 3 across. We have traded the Jetta in now and she does not 5-step in the Tiguan so she boosters in there all the time as well as most of the time in the van. I get that the law helps law enforcement catch those who is doing it wrong but education is a much better way to get kids restrained properly. Here the law states age 8 to get out of a booster and most 8 year olds don't fit in a seatbelt. My 11 yo will likely still need a booster at 12 but most kids won't. My older two were out of boosters by age 12. I remember when the law was raised from 6 to 8 and parents pitched fits. It is too hard with carpools, my kid won't go back in a baby seat, it is just a way for car seat companies to make more money... OY! People need education, not laws! Ok, off my soapbox...

bnsnyde

Here all they see is age 8. So the day the child turns 8 the booster goes away. They ignore the part about 4'9" (even that's not perfect of course) and 5-stepping to fit a belt.

VoodooChile

Here all they see is age 8. So the day the child turns 8 the booster goes away. They ignore the part about 4'9" (even that's not perfect of course) and 5-stepping to fit a belt.

Here too. I don't know anyone that knows how a belt should actually fit--on a child or even on themselves. People generally know a belt should rub on a person's neck, but lap belt fit, knees bending over the edge of the seat, rear all the way back--nope, no one seems to know that stuff. And if they did, it would probably be "ridiculous" and "overkill" like rf past one and harnessing past 3.

Athena

I empathize. The way people focus on the ages is frustrating. Here it's 8, so they take away their boosters at 8 when most do not five step. My 7yo is very tall, yet even in a booster, my shoulder belts do not fit her without a belt guide because she's narrow and built like a kid, not an adult woman. I think it's great your country is trying to encourage parents to keep their kids in boosters until they are tall enough. All you can do is clarify the facts of the law and if they still want to complain, they will.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC