Question School me on boosters

Keeks64

Were entering a new territory & I feel lost lol

FYI: were in canada :)

DS1 is 5y3m - 38ish lbs & 41"

I need to start booster training him, my mom & grandma occasionally need to pick DS up from school & neither can install let alone use his car seat correctly. So far I've always been the one to do the install & buckle DS but that won't be an option after school.

I thought I would be happy getting him the Graco SS turbo but I'm realizing there's so much more to choose from in the booster world

He will always have a headrest so that's not an issue but he's tiny, he sits very well & I have no worries about training him ..... I just want something that's going to support him & in the event he falls asleep (rare but might happen) keeps him in position

Would a Monterey he too much for our needs? What about a parkway?

Is the Turbo SS a good choice?

I was thinking maybe the Turbo SS would be fine as this going to essentially be a spare seat since he will be harnessed in his FR for at least another year & I will buy him a dedicated booster then

I think .... I just have the itch for a fancy new seat too lol

I only have a Target & Walmart locally .... One boutique might carry a Monterey but I think it's only RN's .... I have a BRU an hour away but I don't think that means much in booster land lol

ADS

kater-tot82

I think the Turbo with SS would meet your needs very well. It should fit a kid that height well. :). I don't think I would get a "fancier" seat as a spare....plus the Monterey is really heavy to move around.

tiggercat

I'd just get a Turbo SS and call it good. Easy to use, easy to move, fit is generally good in all vehicles. You can buy a fancy booster later ;)

Be sure to wait until he is a solid 40lb, though, as all our boosters have a 40lb minimum (yes, I know you know this :D ).

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Athena

We have a Parkway SGL 2012 and I'm not sure if this is different on the 2013, but I don't think it would fit littler kids well. It fits my 50 pound 52" kid, but if she were much smaller, I think it would be out too far on her shoulder. The Turbo fits her narrow frame better and I would think would be a better fit for smaller kids. HTH.

tiggercat

You know your 4yo is NOT booster ready when he can't stay in place long enough for pics, lol.

Here is my 4yo, 39lb, 41ish inch kiddo in a turbo (pink) and parkway SG (blue). I have a Monterey I can take a pic of later, if helpful.

I prefer the lap belt fit of the parkway, but the shoulder belt is off his shoulder, even at the setting above the one pictured. I just realized the turbo is on the higher armrest setting, I'll adjust and take another pic to see if that helps :)

(Sam likes the pink booster best, not sure if that's due to colour or comfort, lol)

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

View attachment 23258

Lower setting of armrests for Turbo, much better lap belt fit :)

Last edited:

Keeks64

Sorry forgot I posted this lol

I think we're going to get the Turbo SS for now since he's still a peanut & it fits littles well & he loves that it's green :)

I'll revisit the fancier boosters in a few months lol I know that I will want something different for our main vehicle ..... I'm thinking a Clek booster maybe :D

Keeanh

You could also look at the Harmony Dreamtime at Walmart. It has a bit more support for sleeping kids. It's not very tall, but you said he's tiny.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC