Consumer Reports crash tests circa 1972

mom of six

I know that consumer reports is not necessarily well loved around here but I was surfing the internet for some vintage/antique car seat pictures and I happened across this article. Some of the pictures are pretty interesting.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/resources/streaming/PDFs/CR_Aug1972_Child_Car_Restraints.pdf

Incidentlly, that GM Love seat in the picture is the same one my parents had. The cover is a blue nylon with little white flowers.:love: I think that seat was the beginning of my obsession.:dance:

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's telling that the only one that provided overall "good" protection was the rear-facing seat! You can see why Sweden decided to just keep kids rear-facing back then.

katymyers

It's incredible to me that in 1972 the only seat that really passed their tests was a rear facing seat and no one thought to try making one for larger children. Like no one connected the dots there? It's ridiculous that we are really just starting to figure out the whole ERF thing.
Also, just out of curiosity, the GM Infant Love seat they tested is the same one that eventually became the Century Infant Love seat, right? So the infant seat I had was designed in the 70's? That's crazy to even think about lol.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Wow. Those photos are chilling. I usually get anxious looking at modern crash test videos, but at least in those the seat doesn't appear to crush the child.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Would there be enough interest in reading this study that it would be worth transcribing? The text is pretty fuzzy... I'd be willing to work on transcribing it if it would be read by more than just me. ;)

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Would there be enough interest in reading this study that it would be worth transcribing? The text is pretty fuzzy... I'd be willing to work on transcribing it if it would be read by more than just me. ;)

I can actually read it pretty easily - maybe try a different computer to see if that solves the issue? That's a lot of squinting to transcribe all of that!

mom of six

I think a nice copy would be nice but what I want most of all is to see those pictures!!!

Classicseats sent me a couple of other studies/articles but they are from photocopies done in the 80's so the pictures are terrible.:(

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I was having a really hard time reading it, and then I decided to transcribe it anyway.

For some reason, it was easier to read while transcribing it. Something about sending it to a different part of my brain or something, I don't know. I've found that to be the case with a lot of things, actually.

So, I have it mostly transcribed in an RTF in case anybody wants it. I was part way through the last page when I had to turn my attention back to real life. It would only take me a few minutes to finish it up, though. I type quickly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC