AMP vs Turbo for smaller kids?

love-pink

Do you have a preference for smaller kiddos between the AMP and TB HBB's?

I ordered an AMP HBB for DD because I worry about the back falling off the TB when being taken in/out so often by the daycare, but I can't seem to find any pictures or anything showing the AMP working out for smaller kids... Maybe I should have went with the TB?

Pictures and opinions would be very helpful :eek:

ADS

skylinphoto

Ive tried my petite dd in both the hb turbo and the hbb amp. I like the fit of the amp much better. The seat was too deep on the turbo and the lapbelt a touch high on her.

Heres a pic of her trying the amp for a short ride. I believe she had just turned 5 and was 31lbs and 41-42".

20130224_161724.jpg

Oh, and my petite 7 yr old ds fits beautifully in both the hbb turbo and the hbb amp. Gotta be body type that makes the big difference..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Car-Seat.Org

Lenae

I don't have any pictured of Colton in the Amp, but he rode in his cousins once. The belt fit was moderate to poor, which is why he only rode in it once. The shoulder belt was okay, but the lap belt was definitely high. I can dig up a picture of him at 4 in the Turbo if you'd like.

carseatmama007

The Turbobooster was also too deep for my DD when I tried her in it at the store (33ish lbs and 41"). And the back fell off when I put it back on the shelf :thumbsdown: so I immediately knew that seat was a no go.

I'm looking into the Amp as well, and the Vivo.

JCsMomma

My stocky 7-year old has never fit well in a Turbo. He just seems so squished even though technically he fits. He loves his Amp though and made me keep it as a backup seat over several other much more expensive, nicer boosters. For reference, he is just about 65lbs and 51-52". I think he's on the last click on the Amp.

ETA: I realize that is the opposite of what you were asking! I guess my point would be that IMHO I think the Turbo is better for smaller kids :)

Last edited:

Brigala

CPST Instructor
If you had to make a guess, without a chance to try a kid out in both seats, which would you pick?

Kiddo fits nicely in the backless version of the Amp, so at least I feel confident about the bottom half fitting, but she really really really needs a HBB (she refused to ride in the backless, almost in a panic). She is slender.

Anything's got to be better than what kiddo has now (a badly fitting Cosco hbb without the harness).

sirrahn

We have both of those seats. The amp hasn't had the back on it for a while, but DD2 did try it out when she switched to a booster a couple of years ago. I liked her fit better in the Turbo, but the Amp wasn't horrible. She's skinny, but not overly short and long legged for her height. The Amp just looked like there was too much room side to side around her hips. It's been the perfect seat for DD1 who's more average sized though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC