Rear Facing Back-Seat drivers

mom of six

My ds2 is almost 3 and still RF in a RN65. He is my longest rear-facer so far so this is new territory to me. He seat is in the middle seat of the middle row of our 2009 Suburban.

So, for about the last month EVERY time I stop he says

"Go, Mom."

"I can't. My light is red."

"No, its orange."

"No, my light is red."

"Oh."

Another 25 seconds pass.....

"Go, Mom."

"I can't"

"Your light is still red?"

"Yea."

I am sure many of you have rear-facing back-seat driver stories. Please share so we can all giggle at these cutie pies.

ADS

carseatmama007

Haha! How cute!

My daughter would see stop signs that were facing the other direction behind me. She'd yell out "STOP!! The sign says STOP, stop mom!!" and I'd be looking around for a stop sign, and it always took me a second to realize she was talking about something we already passed, on the other side of the road lol.

kathysr98

Haha! How cute! My daughter would see stop signs that were facing the other direction behind me. She'd yell out "STOP!! The sign says STOP, stop mom!!" and I'd be looking around for a stop sign, and it always took me a second to realize she was talking about something we already passed, on the other side of the road lol.

That & when I passed through an intersection and the lights behind me were red I got fussed at!

jgomez411

DD is almost 3 as well and she drives me crazy!
She constantly tells me to go when the light is red. She always tells me to slow down or be careful. She is totally anti honking too. She is like "Mom! Why did you do that? Don't do that! Any sighing or frustration I express why driving, she has to know what happened. "Mom, what happened? Tell me mom, what's wrong" oh and god forbid anyone park too close to my car...she will tell at them, "hey guy! Watch out for mommy's car!"
Do I really have to deal with 15 more years of this?!?

creideamh

My almost 3yo does the same thing. "Why are we stopping? Is the light red?" "Yes." "Can we go now? Now? Now?" "Is the light green now?"
At least since she's RF, it's harder for me to hear her. :lol:

Syllieann

My almost 3 yo rf in the 3rd row. She doesn't try to drive but she is always telling me what she thinks of the person behind us at the stop light...oh, he is scary, that lady has big hair, he has a nice truck, Can I ride in that car instead? Oh yes, and look out for the squirrel that might get run over if I drop it into reverse and plow him down.

krasota

My kid's spatial sense is extraordinary . . . so much that he could give directions while RF.

But the red light thing drove him nuts, too. "GO! We need to MOVE!"

2BunniesMommy

I remember that at night DD1 could see the reflection of the light we were at on the back window and would always let us know when to go. Know what I hate about ffing, not getting drinks/snacks to myself! LOL

essnce629

So funny! I have the opposite experience-- both of my kids didn't turn into backseat drivers till they turned ff'ing! DS1 at 2 yrs old and DS2 at 4 yrs old.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
My husband loves to quip, "It's a shame she can't see anything since she's rear facing." My daughter is always shouting out directions. "Go THIS way! Go THIS way! No, not THIS way, THIS way!" and "To the right" and, of course, she knows all our normal routes by heart and will start yelling, "NO, WE CAN'T GO HOME!!!!" when we pass certain landmarks, or "To the bakery! To the bakery!"

The other day I promised to take her to the store, and when we passed the store we shop at most frequently (because I had in mind a different store that day) she started throwing an absolute fit. "No! The store! The store! The store is THIS WAY!!"

tmahanes

B watches the lights in the mirror and tells me when I can go and when to stop for the red light. I can't imagine how bad he will be when he is FF.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Car-Seat.Org

jwilliams

Know what I hate about ffing, not getting drinks/snacks to myself! LOL

My RF 18 month olds have a sixth snacky sense. As soon as I open anything, no matter how sneaky I try to be, two small hands shoot up in the air and there is a bunch of "gimme" noise. My car is small enough that I can easily share.

HappyHoo

My DS was worse on this than my DD.

He also for awhile would start whining for us to slow down or go faster ... but not consistently to figure out what he thought a "perfect speed".

But I will say he was worse when turned FF ... and so was DD. They both in general talked a lot more when turned FF v. RF.

babyherder

My nanny girl yelled at me for going through a yellow light yesterday. Sigh. She turned ff a few weeks ago and her backseat driving has gotten a little out of hand. She once asked me to stop for a pretend red light. Her 2 year old sis is still rf. Her new favorite phrase is "Why did you stop?"

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC