Sub-compact SUV?? Help!

Bmoregirls

So we have been looking to purchase a new car and wanted something in the sub-compact SUV family. We are considering pre-owned so anything from 2009-2013 would fit our needs. We have twin 6 (almost 7) year old girls (one is 50lbs and the other 45 lbs) who are in radians and a 2.5 year old (31lbs) who is still rear facing. We have a safety first seat but also a radian for her as well. We were looking at the Toyota RAV 4 (a 2012) or the subaru forester (a 2010 or 2013) but after reading on this site and on the manufacturer's site we realize that we cannot put all three kids in car seats in the back. This is a deal breaker.

We already have one mini-van and don't really want another. We wanted something that was more fuel efficient and still had some space to move and groove for day trips to Mimi's house or to go skiing. We are replacing a sedan which we rarely drive anywhere because it is cramped, oh and leaking power steering fluid and needs more repairs than is worth fixing.

My question is what should we seriously consider in this category of vehicle that has 4 wheel drive (we live in NH up a BIG hill) is more fuel efficient than a mini-van (the rav4 is 21-27mpg so better than what we have) and can fit 3 radians across the back seat?

Please help!

Thanks!!!

-Bethany

ADS

lanwenyi

I know a 2014 forester would work, but you won't find a pre-owned yet.

Most other suv's have the dreaded crossover belts that make 3-acrosses incredibly difficult or impossible to get independently tight.

Whatever you get, you'll probably have to do 3 seatbelt installs, latch will take up more room and make it harder.

Wish I had more advice, but I don't know much about SUVs. Here's a bump, and a hope that more knowledgable people come along.

on my phone, please forgive my autocorrect

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My sister had a Chevy Equinox that was good for 3-across; I think her's was an '06? She lives in the middle of the BC Rockies up a big hill. Nothing winter tires couldn't handle. ;)

---My Kids

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The seatbelt geometry is really terrible in the RAV4 and often makes a three across impossible. Neat the end of this review are some pics of the geometry. You can especially see the issues in the pic with the rear-facing convertible installed.

ETA: sorry I wasn't clear if you understood this from your post or not

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
These aren't sub compact, but they are small SUVs (and my brain can't actually fathom something smaller with 3 kids. :ROTFLMAO: ) but how about:

Acura RDX
Honda CR-V
Ford Escape

All are available with AWD or 4WD.

Last edited:

Bmoregirls

We ruled out the RAV 4 due to crossover seat belts. The CRV and Escape just made the short list. Actually those cars are the list, like I said - short! Anyone know anything about the Hyundai Elantra touring or Hyundai Santa Fe with three seats?

I will take a look at the equinox too!

Thanks for the insight!

love-pink

I have a 2013 Dodge Journey and love it :) Ive had several 3 across scenarios and there is a third row if needed. I average between 24/27 MPG city. :dance:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Unfortunately, compact SUVs are basically compact cars. It's very tough to do 3-across in any of them, though some combinations work with effort.

Even the midsize SUVs can be difficult for 3-across. Plus, an AWD midsize SUV will not be as fuel efficient or as roomy as a minivan and will still cost more:-( It's sad, but true.

Have you considered a midsize or larger AWD sedan? I suspect than an AWD Taurus from a few years ago would be not much more expensive on the used market than a compact Japanese SUV and will have a lot more room in the back seat for 3-across. Still only mediocre on fuel economy most likely, but perhaps better than a midsize SUV.

One other suggestion, a few year old Subaru Legacy is reasonably priced, though a bit smaller than Taurus, but also cheaper than the Outback and larger than the Forester in back.

cantabdad

The Energy Department's fueleconomy.gov website is a good place to start -- you can use their "power search" function to sort through different vehicle models and get a feel for the combination of space, gas mileage, and AWD that you're looking for.

That being said, if you truly want a *sub*compact SUV with AWD and room for 3 carseats, I think the choices are slim to none.

Go up to a compact SUV, and you will have more options, but it will be hard to do too much better than the 21-27 mpg that you're already getting, though some of them are rated in the low 30s mpg highway.

In addition to some of the options that were mentioned (CR-V, Escape, Equinox) you could also look at a 2012 or newer Subaru Impreza wagon (or the similar Subaru Crosstrek) which have rear hiproom comparable to those vehicles, i.e. roughly 52" - 53". The Hyundai Elantra Touring is also around that size. At least in theory, that's just enough for 3 Radians (3 x 17" plus a little leeway).

For about $600 you can get a top-notch set of winter tires that will provide much of the same benefit as AWD (more actually, since AWD doesn't help you brake in snow) and open up a wider range of options -- e.g. the Toyota Prius V wagon or VW Jetta Sportwagen diesel, both of which will get you 40 mpg or thereabouts.

ks227

Are there any sub-compact SUVs?

My 2010 Chevy Equinox (the current body style/design) is free of cross-over seat belts and in theory is capable of a three across although I've never tried it (I suspect at least one Radian would be required, though). When I was car shopping in late 2009 we were planning to TTC and so I ruled out the RAV4 solely because of the cross-over belt issue! ;) In general you will find that the back seat room in most crossovers is pretty cramped, comparable to a midsize sedan (most crossovers are based on sedan chassis).

The Equinox is right between small/midsize and has ample back seat room. I'm 5'8" and DH is 6' tall. We can have a Britax 2nd generation convertible RF outboard and still fit a full hand width between the car seat and the driver or front passenger seat. One of the selling points for the Equinox for us was that back seat room, whether for adult passengers' comfort or for rear facing car seats.

My husband's car is a midsize sedan and my Equinox has more back seat room and more cargo room than his Toyota Camry. I also prefer the higher driving position and the AWD. I tell him I'll never have a smaller car as my daily driver again (my previous car was a VW New Beetle, believe it or not!).

Highland

Does it have to be an SUV? If you don't require AWD or 4WD or increased ground clearance, you might want to consider the Mazda5. Not quite as big as a "minivan" but it does have three rows of seats and technically seats 6. They've been around for a number of model years, so there could be some available as preowned and are still in production. Additionally, they have sliding rear doors so you won't have to worry about denting other cars.

Hope that helps.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC