Question What cars will fit two chicco keyfit 30 and tall drivers?

S

seacyn

I am pregnant with twins and looking for advice on what car I should buy to use with my two infant car seats. Currently, I have a 2006 Subaru Impreza, and I just tested to see if my two Chicco KeyFit30s would work. My husband and I both are relatively tall with long legs, and we have to pull the driver and front passenger seats up too far and tip them too far forward to fit the KeyFit 30 in the back seat. This wouldn't be a huge deal on the passenger side, but on the driver's side it's a non-starter. My husband can't get his foot up on top of the pedal!

So, I'm looking for advice on either: A) a model of car seat that will work in our Impreza with long legged drivers, or B) advice on how to find what cars will work with our car seats.

We've had a lot of twin parents recommend the Honda Odyssey, but I don't know how to ensure the car seats will fit. I've never driven a minivan, so I have no idea what I should be looking for in the specs to know if there will be enough space behind the driver's seat.

I'm definitely gun shy now. Do I have to take the car seats with us when we test drive? Is there another way to know if they'll fit?

Thanks for your advice!

ADS

seb3244

I have a friend that has 3 carseats in the 1st row of her in 2012 Honda odyssey. 2 are rear facing and one forward facing (one of which is a Chico keyfit). She is 5 10 and her hub is 6 4 & they fit wonderful.

I would bring the carseats with you when you test drive.

Congrats in your twins! Are they boys or girls or one of each?

S

seacyn

Two boys!

It's good to know that two tall drivers will fit with the seats. I am definitely looking forward to the test drive. I hope it's a comfortable ride for us.

I'm also going to test to see if we can fit the two infant seats side-by-side in our impreza -- one in the middle and one outboard. Originally, I'd just tried the two outboard positions, but I'm wondering if they'll fit in the other two spots. If that could work, then we'd at least have an option for getting home from the hospital. It wouldn't be too comfortable for me in the front passenger seat, but it would give us more time to shop.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
We had the same experience. We also have an Impreza and when we put our first infant seat in it, there was NO room in the front for person to sit. When we went to try them out, the only ones possible were the Combi Shuttle and the Cybex Aton. The only one comfortable was the Aton. A new car was not in the budget. We bought the Aton.

If you go the new car route, YES, bring the seats with you when you test drive. You can use sites like this to get ideas and rule options out if necessary, but you definitely don't want to buy a car and find out that it won't work for you. Even if someone of a similar height can use your car seat with a particular car, their torso/leg ratio, tolerance for cramped legs, etc may be different.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC