Question 3 carseats in 02 Accord Coupe?

U

Unregistered

I'm wondering if anyone knows if three car seats will fit into a 2002 Honda Accord Coupe? We will have two FF and one RF. The RF seat is a Britax Chaperone, infant seat. I'm currently in the market for two FF (must have 5 point harness) seats for this vehicle. If you don't know for sure of seats that will fit, can you give me a seat suggestion and I'll research it!? Thank you so much!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there!

How old and heavy is everyone in the car?

Are you willing to part with the Chaperone? It's the biggest infant seat out there, so you may get more room with a different seat.

Wendy

A

atxthree

Hello, I'm new to this forum and not sure how it works exactly! Hope I'm replying the right way... I'm the one who posted this question as a guest... When we will be needing three seats in our 2nd car, the children will be 4.5, 3, & newborn. I really want to keep the older children in the 5 point harness, as long as possible! I was looking at the Radian's for the two older children. But according to the info I've found online, with those and my current infant seat, I'll be about 4 inches too wide! I really would love to keep the Chaperone! But, if I have to, I can sell. Thankfully, this will only be an issue for our 2nd car, our main vehicle will hold three seats w/o a problem!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's possible you could do a Radian, Harmony Defender (I wouldn't buy a Radian for a forward facing child), and the Chaperone baseless. But with the base I don't see any way of getting three across. Sorry! Even the Chaperone baseless would be a tight squeeze.

Don't go by just inches measurement. For instance, the Chaperone baseless might slide in and above two other seats, so the sum of their combined width is less than the sum of their measured widths.

The Radian for the 4.5 year old could be passed down later to the baby, then the 4.5 year old bought a combination seat or booster, depending on when that switch happens and how much room there is to buckle a booster. We generally don't recommend boosters until about six or older.

The Defender is just about as narrow as the Radian, but has higher top slots, a usable booster, then becomes a backless booster.

I've done in the past a Defender, forward facing Radian, and rear facing classic Britax Boulevard in a 2002 Honda Accord *sedan*, to give you an idea. I know the base won't work for the Chaperone, but if you tried it baseless it might just fit. If you could put the three year old in rear facing (under 40-45 pounds and 44") that would be safest as well as give you about three extra inches to play with. I don't think it'd be enough for the base, but it should ensure that baseless fits. For a secondary seat, I think baseless is a nice option.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC