What to do with unlocked shoulder belt?

Keeyamah

We got a new to us '92 ford explorer. I'm finally happy with my installs of a Scenera (RFing) and a Sureride (FFing) for my boys. Scenera is outboard and Sureride is center, leaving the last rear lap/shoulder belt for an extra rider. Went through some fun days of both outboard, Scenera middle, Sureride outboard, but now I'm totally happy with where they are.

That dang shoulder belt though, it's an annoyance and really little more than that. But is there anything I can do to keep it out of my way when I'm buckling my 14month old? I'm thinking like a clothes pin just to hold to the farther back portion of the belt. I know it would become a projectile in a crash, so that is why I'm asking if there are some softer options anyone can think of.

ADS

1mommy

I buckle in all 3 seatbelts in my back seat (seat installed with Latch) and then lock the belt so that its tight. That way its also not a strangulation hazard once your child gets a little older.

Keeyamah

They can't lock though, they don't have that kind of retractor, although strangely, the middle lap belt only does....

Keeyamah

Hmm, would just buckling it get it out of your way enough?

Ok, I think we've got a bit of a confusion in communication, lol. The shoulder belt that is in my way is the one where my Scenera is installed, not the free one. The free one is on the other side of the car (Scenera is passenger, Sureride center and open seat driver). So it's defiantly buckled, lol. I can go take a pic if you need/want.

1mommy

Ok, I think we've got a bit of a confusion in communication, lol. The shoulder belt that is in my way is the one where my Scenera is installed, not the free one. The free one is on the other side of the car (Scenera is passenger, Sureride center and open seat driver). So it's defiantly buckled, lol. I can go take a pic if you need/want.

LOL, ok I thought you meant the free one. OK I think I got you- is this one with separate lap and shoulder belts and you used the lap part to restrain the car seat but the shoulder belt inst in use? I'm not familiar with those types of seatbelts, just the ones that are a lap and shoulder combined. If I'm right is their a way to buckle in the shoulder part too to get it out of your way?

Keeyamah

LOL, ok I thought you meant the free one. OK I think I got you- is this one with separate lap and shoulder belts and you used the lap part to restrain the car seat but the shoulder belt inst in use? I'm not familiar with those types of seatbelts, just the ones that are a lap and shoulder combined. If I'm right is their a way to buckle in the shoulder part too to get it out of your way?

Nope,standard lap/shoulder belt. I think it just has to do with the car geometry / belt path of the Scenera that puts it where I like to stand to buckle my kiddo, lol. I'll go take a pic, hehe.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC