News 4MOMS self-installing infant seat

ADS

jacqui276

That is really cool!

I wonder if the vehicle needs to be parked on level ground for installation though so that the base ends up angled correctly. That and vehicles not having latch is the only potential downside that I can see to this.

SnoGurl

I haven't watched the video (Internet is Sooo slow. So slow!), and I totally get the idea that car seats NEED to be made simpler to install (or at least harder to mess up), but I don't like the idea of relying on something that could not be working and you may not notice.

jordansmom

I haven't watched the video (Internet is Sooo slow. So slow!), and I totally get the idea that car seats NEED to be made simpler to install (or at least harder to mess up), but I don't like the idea of relying on something that could not be working and you may not notice.

I don't like the idea either or relying on it for a safe install, even though it is a cool concept. Seems like a lot of "technology" that has potential to break!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Sadly, they were very reluctant to give us a demo or really any other information than what you see on their website now. Aside from the very high projected cost, I wonder about battery life, reliability and what happens if the batteries die. Extreme heat and cold in an auto environment are not friendly to batteries in general. Other than that, it looks very cool and hopefully there will be more info soon!

msg221

That is going to be one pricey seat and it only has a 22 lb. weight limit. Not going to get much use out of it if you have a bigger baby!

YinzerMama

Alot of their stuff is really odd, too. They make this baby tub that you sit in a sink and it has this drain hole in it so you constantly have water flowing in and out - fresh water - so you're not washing your baby in dirty water. But I can't fathom what people are doing with their babies that they are getting so dirty that a swish swish in a normal baby baby doesn't cut it. How is your baby getting that dirty???

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
That is going to be one pricey seat and it only has a 22 lb. weight limit. Not going to get much use out of it if you have a bigger baby!

That was my thought initially, too. $500 or more for maybe 1 year per child. Granted, most parents who buy 30 or 35 pound-rated seats only use them for a year and then go to a rear-facing convertible anyway, so maybe we will see that limit raised, even if the size is barely enough to meet the requirements. Also, the price tag may be shocking, but it's a different time. Lots of parents in urban areas shell out bigger bucks for a stroller for their new baby, if only for the brand name, so why not a carseat? You know the celebs will clamor for the priciest model, and perhaps the affluent will follow their lead, as they do for other kinds of gear?

People used to be shocked when infant seats, often used for only a year per child, started to sell for even $200. One great model, the Britax Baby Safe, offered innovative features like pivoting, rigid LATCH and a load leg. Most scoffed at the $300 price tag. It didn't last on the market for very long. But that was 8 years ago. Now, models like the Cybex Aton and Nuna Pipa seem to be much more well received, even at the higher priced end of the market.

Maybe there is room for the 4MOMS seat, too? I wonder how many you have to sell to break even on such a technological marvel, especially after having to give them to celebrities and media to create the necessary buzz? Special Needs seats come up against this hurdle all the time, and that's a big part of why many seem outrageously expensive compared to seemingly similar mass market models.

SnoGurl

That was my thought initially, too. $500 or more for maybe 1 year per child. Granted, most parents who buy 30 or 35 pound-rated seats only use them for a year and then go to a rear-facing convertible anyway, so maybe we will see that limit raised, even if the size is barely enough to meet the requirements. Also, the price tag may be shocking, but it's a different time. Lots of parents in urban areas shell out bigger bucks for a stroller for their new baby, if only for the brand name, so why not a carseat? You know the celebs will clamor for the priciest model, and perhaps the affluent will follow their lead, as they do for other kinds of gear?

People used to be shocked when infant seats, often used for only a year per child, started to sell for even $200. One great model, the Britax Baby Safe, offered innovative features like pivoting, rigid LATCH and a load leg. Most scoffed at the $300 price tag. It didn't last on the market for very long. But that was 8 years ago. Now, models like the Cybex Aton and Nuna Pipa seem to be much more well received, even at the higher priced end of the market.

Maybe there is room for the 4MOMS seat, too? I wonder how many you have to sell to break even on such a technological marvel, especially after having to give them to celebrities and media to create the necessary buzz? Special Needs seats come up against this hurdle all the time, and that's a big part of why many seem outrageously expensive compared to seemingly similar mass market models.

These are all great points, and I have no doubt that there is a niche for it. I have seen a surprising number of the thousand dollar stroller when I'm in Toronto. I'm just not sold on the features, while it likely will work sometimes, it's also likely that it will give people a false sense of security. The price point, while expensive, has its place for sure.

ks227

We live near and I work in a pretty affluent area - I routinely go out to the mall or to a high end shopping center and see $1000+ strollers. I've been in our favorite baby/toy store (independent, not a chain) and had the cheapest stroller in the place with my City Mini. ;) I can totally believe that there is a market for a seat like this - remember that baby gear is not only functional, but is also often a status symbol.

Doesn't the Prodigy have an electronic base that tells you if it's installed properly? I guess this goes beyond that and actually installs the seat. It's cool technology for sure. Maybe I'm spoiled as heck by the Keyfit being so very easy to install, but that's just not a feature that I'd feel the need to have in an infant seat.

(The 4moms oscillating baby seat thing creeps me out a little every time I see it at BRU. :eek: )

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC