Would you..

carseatmama007

Would you be comfortable booster training a 4 year (5 in three months), 35 pound, 41" kid so she can ride boostered in her Grandma's van? Grandma is horrible at installing and using harnessed seats properly. She is a very mature child, and I'm 99.9% sure she'll do well with booster training. But she just seems so, so tiny, and she doesn't even meet the "4 and 40 lbs" minimum I hear. I just turned her forward facing in July, and I'm still getting used to that! Boostering scares me :( but an improperly used harnessed seat scares me more, and my mom just can't get it right (and I don't have the option of always being the one to install it). She doesn't ride in Grandma's van too often.. she stays one weekend a month, and the most they do is run errands 10-15 minutes from home (I know most accidents happen close to home though).

ADS

1mommy

Would a Frontier 90 be in the budget for you? With the Click Tight technology its a super easy install.

Suzibeck

My first preference would be to not leave her with grandma. Is this a child care situation? If you have no choice then I'd look into getting a Frontier 90 for easy install and work with your dd on properly using the harness. If that is not possible and there really is no choice but to have grandma babysit then I would consider booster training with a Recaro Vivo or a Graco Safety Surround, both fit little kids really well. I have a 5 1/2 yo who is only 43ish" and 33#, she has ridden in a booster twice for a short ride. I just can't make myself booster train her until she is at least almost 40#. I thought I would be able to, but I just can't. If I was in a position where I had to rely on others to transport her, I think I could get myself there, however. I planned on booster training her for Kindergarten so she could go with friends more easily. Now, I'm homeschooling her though and it isn't an issue.

carseatmama007

No it's not a necessary thing for her to go to Grandma's; however, they all enjoy the weekend visits a lot, so I'm determined to make something work- taking their wknds with DD away just isn't an option to me.

As for my mom getting boosters right.. I don't know. She has a lot of experience with boosters because of my 8yo nephew, and her big issues (not locking the seatbelt and not top tethering correctly) are not a concern with boosters. DD is also at the age where I could teach her where the buckle goes and how to click it & all that.

I think I'm feeling too uncomfortable with a booster though. Is a booster and a not top tethered harnessed seat equally safe? Because I'm thinking of telling my mom just to quit with the TT all together.. she never gets it right & it's going to do more harm than good. Not using the TT is an issue with the Radian because I've got safe stop on it & I'm not rethreading the harness to take SS off every time so Grandma doesn't have to TT. Can I easily switch from TT use to no TT with the Frontier? I know she doesn't need to lock the seatbelt with Click tight, right?

DD could probably use a new set anyway, regardless of Gma, because her Radian gives her very little leg support FF (she's very short torsoed and all legs.. She's 41" with a 13" torso!). So a Frontier would solve issues in our car and Grandma's (I think..). Might have figured it out!

sb518

I had similar thoughts with my DD and a booster. But then the Frontier90 came out so I chose that.

It is still too difficult for my dad to install :rolleyes: (he can never remember where/how to open the click tight) But I can install it very quickly and very easily in ANY car, and DD knows how to buckle herself in correctly. It's a 15 second install and rock solid in every car I've put it in, and I feel good about my DD having optimum protection in other people's vehicles versus a step DOWN in safety with a booster.

Initially I wanted a seat that other people could install easy, but it is really so easy that I can do it myself very quickly before I leave, even with weak hands and arms. Dd will help me push the plate down if I need.

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
My son just turned 5 and is 36lbs and he started booster training a few months ago. My in-laws watch my son when I'm at work and take him to school (which is 2.5 blocks away) Last year he was harnessed but I know it wasn't always correct (I installed but FIL put him in in his winter coat a few times) so I decided to booster train and he rides in a booster with my in-laws now.

mping

I start with boosters at 5 but don't full time booster until 7. It's a good way to get them used to it. I wished I had been more diligent in teaching my 7 1/2 year old but I was of the mindset "harness until junior high" a few years ago. She's full time in an Affix now. My 5 yo is in a harnessed Frontier but for short trips around town is in a booster. He's looking forward to being 7 so he can get an affix too :)

carseatmama007

I tested her out in the TurboSS at Target today just to see how she fits into a booster. I didn't care for the fit :/ her knees didn't really bend at the edge of the seat. Isn't this one the supposed "best fit" for small kids?

Last edited:

nannykates

What about the harmony folding booster? The arm rests are so high on that the belt is on the chest if its wrong and it still has pretty substantial sides and a shallow seat.

amandaj553

Definitely try the harmony folding booster (Walmart). It's awesome! The headrest and sides are very substantial. I picked one up on clearance for $33 b/c I was in a similar situation and couldn't pass it up at that price. I used it a couple of times for a 2 minute trip, but haven't needed it since. My DS isn't quite ready for a booster, I found out.

However, the belt fit was amazing on him... sorry I don't have pics. He is little and was almost 5 at the time (he turned 5 last weekend, but this was a few months ago). He is currently 41" tall and 37-38lbs, so fairly close to your DD's size.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC