2013 Britax SGL vs Recaro Performance Booster

JCsMomma

Okay, here are a few pictures of the new Performance Booster next to the 2013 Parkway SGL. They aren't great because it was inside the car parked in the garage. I went out to reinstall my younger kids' seats and I was in a hurry so this was the best I could do at the time. But hopefully they help someone :D

Shortest setting:
image_zps4251d818.jpg

Tallest setting:
image_zpsa699b8d6.jpg

Back view:
d95084b5-e015-4867-9217-38a9dc54778a_zpscb674db5.jpg

Side view:
image_zps10f67c11.jpg

I'm also throwing in one with my three Recaros in the van because it was just so pretty :love:
image_zps56a2ccd1.jpg

ADS

Lenae

Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures! I :love: the look of the Recaro. Seems like they kept the back the same and updated the bottom, and I love the back of Colton's ProBooster, and would only add cup holders and less tippiness! I may have found the perfect booster. The belt guide does look significantly shorter on the Performance Booster compared to the Parkway. I took pics comparing the ProBooster to the Parkway and didn't feel like there was that much difference. Recaro wouldn't have lowered the top position though, right? I'm going to have to dig up my pictures and see.

Anyway, thanks again!

JCsMomma

Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures! I :love: the look of the Recaro. Seems like they kept the back the same and updated the bottom, and I love the back of Colton's ProBooster, and would only add cup holders and less tippiness! I may have found the perfect booster. The belt guide does look significantly shorter on the Performance Booster compared to the Parkway. I took pics comparing the ProBooster to the Parkway and didn't feel like there was that much difference. Recaro wouldn't have lowered the top position though, right? I'm going to have to dig up my pictures and see.

Anyway, thanks again!

It may have been the angle, or possibly the slope of my van floor. I do think the Parkway is a bit taller but definitely not by a huge amount. The Recaro is not tippy at all, which is like a 180 from the ProBooster which was incompatible in my van due to the tippiness.

And no problem! I'm a big Recaro fan. Now if they'd just fix the legroom issue on the ProRide...

jujumum

Great pics!!

What made you go with the Recaro over the Parkway?

I'm on the fence between these an the Monterey for my two youngest (stats in siggy) for our 2011 Odyssey. The only one I can see in person is the Parkway which is making this such a difficult decision.

SavsMom

Great pics!!

I'm on the fence between these an the Monterey for my two youngest (stats in siggy) for our 2011 Odyssey. The only one I can see in person is the Parkway which is making this such a difficult decision.

Have you looked at BuyBuy Baby out on 441? They had the Recaro there?

JCsMomma

Great pics!!

I actually just sold my Monterey recently too, although it is my favorite booster. Unfortunately I drive a Dodge Grand Caravan and the third row seat belts are a PITA for boosters. The Monterey is incompatible, as was the original ProBooster. The ProBooster belt guides worked beautifully, but the seat was super tippy. The 2012 Parkway didn't work either so that one had to go. We were using a High Back Amp which worked but I just didn't like the lack of SIP and deep wings. I was waiting for the Performance Booster but when the SGL came out and worked with my seat belts I went for it b/c it offered those things. Choosing the Performance Booster over the SGL was basically down to a couple small things because they both have all the features I wanted. My van, unlike previous years, has fixed headrests. The Recaro fits just a little better with them. Also, it's a little wider and the seat pan seems bigger, which is good for my tall and stocky (65lbs) 7 year old. And lastly, I like that it matches my DD1's ProSport in that row.

So to make a short story long lol, I think if they all work in your car equally well I'd go with whichever provides the best fit & comfort for your child. If it worked to have my DS1 in the second row where I have latch I would never have gotten rid of the Monterey.

Carol-

I too am trying to choose between the Britax SGL 2013 and the Recaro Performance Booster. My DS is 42lb and 44in, and will be 6yr old in a few days. He is currently in a Britax Boulevard which we have loved. We also have a Dodge Grand Caravan, '04 model. Can I ask why it was a pain installing the Parkway SGL in the 3rd row? This may be my deciding factor.

Athena

Thanks for posting this!

I was waiting for the Performance Booster but when the SGL came out and worked with my seat belts I went for it b/c it offered those things.

Why did the 2013 SGL work with your seat belts when the 2012 did not? Was it the lap belt fit that was different? The reason I ask is that our 2012 SGL does not work in my car because the shoulder belt does not retract, but when I asked Britax, I was told the 2013 has the same belt guide, so wouldn't work either. Just want to make sure that's correct, otherwise I might want to try one.

JCsMomma

Thanks for posting this!

Why did the 2013 SGL work with your seat belts when the 2012 did not? Was it the lap belt fit that was different? The reason I ask is that our 2012 SGL does not work in my car because the shoulder belt does not retract, but when I asked Britax, I was told the 2013 has the same belt guide, so wouldn't work either. Just want to make sure that's correct, otherwise I might want to try one.

I had a 2012 SG (not SGL, I understand they are slightly different) that did not work with my third row outboard seat belts. At all. The shoulder belt would not retract. The 2013 SGL did work for us. The shape of the seat is completely different, so perhaps where the guide sits in relation to the seat belt is different on the 2012 vs 2013 even though they have the same guides? I am just speculating because I no longer have the 2012. I know some people have better luck than others with certain seats (e.g Turbo w/safety surround - some people here have used it with success but at the height my DS needed it the shoulder belt wouldn't retract) so YMMV but we used the SGL for a month or two and the shoulder belt never had a problem retracting. Also, the lap fit was fine on both the 2012 and the 2013.

JCsMomma

I too am trying to choose between the Britax SGL 2013 and the Recaro Performance Booster. My DS is 42lb and 44in, and will be 6yr old in a few days. He is currently in a Britax Boulevard which we have loved. We also have a Dodge Grand Caravan, '04 model. Can I ask why it was a pain installing the Parkway SGL in the 3rd row? This may be my deciding factor.

I think our vans are a different body style so it may fit differently for you. The outboard seat belts are the issue with most boosters because they are very far forward of the vehicle seat. The SGL works fine with the seat belts (the 2013 model SGL that is) but isn't perfect. If your head rests are removable or adjustable (mine are neither) you would probably get an even better fit. You may want to double check that Britax doesn't require head support.

I honestly think with these funky third row seat belts, and even more so on the models with fixed head rests, the booster compatibility is going to vary based on the size of your kid, etc. My son is tall, 51-52" and long torsoed, so we are using the higher settings. If it were lower then my head rest wouldn't be an issue I think.

I'm all the sudden worried someone will buy this seat, have it not work, and get mad at me! If you can, try before you buy. That's my disclaimer ;)

bikemama

My DS is 6.5 and 45" and 42# and doesn't fit our Monterey because the shoulder strap is to close to the edge of his shoulder. He is on the verge of outgrowing his radian xt. I am trying to decide between the parkway sgl, recaro performance booster, kiddy cruiserfix, or a new nautilus and keep him harnessed for another year+. Pictures of the performance booster in use would help, especially with a slim child.

Athena

I had a 2012 SG (not SGL, I understand they are slightly different) that did not work with my third row outboard seat belts. At all. The shoulder belt would not retract. The 2013 SGL did work for us. The shape of the seat is completely different, so perhaps where the guide sits in relation to the seat belt is different on the 2012 vs 2013 even though they have the same guides? I am just speculating because I no longer have the 2012. I know some people have better luck than others with certain seats (e.g Turbo w/safety surround - some people here have used it with success but at the height my DS needed it the shoulder belt wouldn't retract) so YMMV but we used the SGL for a month or two and the shoulder belt never had a problem retracting. Also, the lap fit was fine on both the 2012 and the 2013.

This is very helpful. Thank you so much! I think it was the position of the belt guide, not the guide itself, so maybe I should try the 2013 in my car when I get a chance. The 2012 model is fine, but it's so annoying to have a booster that I can't use in my car, the car she rides in 90+% of the time.

If your head rests are removable or adjustable (mine are neither) you would probably get an even better fit. You may want to double check that Britax doesn't require head support.

They don't. In fact, they instruct to remove the vehicle head rest if it will improve the fit.

I'm all the sudden worried someone will buy this seat, have it not work, and get mad at me! If you can, try before you buy. That's my disclaimer ;)

I can't imagine someone would. You're going out of your way to be helpful, something I appreciate and I'm sure others do too. No one can guarantee someone it will work for them unless they actually try it.

My DS is 6.5 and 45" and 42# and doesn't fit our Monterey because the shoulder strap is to close to the edge of his shoulder. He is on the verge of outgrowing his radian xt. I am trying to decide between the parkway sgl, recaro performance booster, kiddy cruiserfix, or a new nautilus and keep him harnessed for another year+. Pictures of the performance booster in use would help, especially with a slim child.

If the Monterey belt fit is too wide, you may want to look at a Turbo. They fit slim kids well. I tried several boosters with my slim, but tall, DD. I don't know about the 2013, but the 2012 Monterey was a narrower fit on her than the 2012 SGL. HTH.

JCsMomma

Thanks! I am glad I could help a bit. I never knew a couple years ago how difficult boosters could be... They are so vehicle & child dependent. Good luck, I hope the 2013 works for you! It is very frustrating to not be able to seat your kids wherever you want due to compatibility issues!

And thanks for clarifying the head support issue also! Definitely a plus in the compatibility department!

This is just the info I was looking for! I have a 2008 Grand Caravan and just ordered a Recaro Vivo, but the was reading about how the seat depth is really small. Do you know if the 2013 Parkway SG would fit the same ad the SGL? I have other kids using the latch, so I don't really want to pay for that function if I'm not going to use it. Thanks!

bmd

I'm considering both of these seats (2013 SGL and performance booster) for my 7.5 and 6 y.o. in a Lexus RX. I currently have 2 frontiers in the outboard position for the kids and we have just enough room between the seats for backpacks (stacked). IIRC, the frontier is about 19" wide at the base. The SGL is supposed to be about 18/19" wide at the base and the performance booster is listed as 22" wide. I'd hate to lose that little bit of functional space between the two seats so I'm hoping someone can help with some "hands on" info. For anyone who has the performance booster, can you comment on the width at the base? Is it actually 22" wide? If not, does it seem significantly wider than the 2013 SGL?

tracee877

I'm considering both of these seats (2013 SGL and performance booster) for my 7.5 and 6 y.o. in a Lexus RX. I currently have 2 frontiers in the outboard position for the kids and we have just enough room between the seats for backpacks (stacked). IIRC, the frontier is about 19" wide at the base. The SGL is supposed to be about 18/19" wide at the base and the performance booster is listed as 22" wide. I'd hate to lose that little bit of functional space between the two seats so I'm hoping someone can help with some "hands on" info. For anyone who has the performance booster, can you comment on the width at the base? Is it actually 22" wide? If not, does it seem significantly wider than the 2013 SGL?

I had both of these recently and the Recaro is SO wide. Not sure exactly since I no longer have it. It just didn't sit right in my captain's chair and with the latch not tightenable I didn't really care for it sliding around. I'd say the SGL is about the same as the FR90 in width.

bmd

That's what I figured but I wanted to get IRL confirmation :) It looks nice and comfy but I don't think I want to give up the last precious inches of space in our back seat between the boosters ;)

And btw thank you to JCsMomma for the photos!

Athena

I'm in the process of deciding between these two to replace a turbo that's getting small and I thought I'd revisit this informative thread. What did you end up deciding? The measurements pages here say they're both 21.5 top shoulder height, but the Recaro sure looks shorter in your pic. Although it would be nice to have the option, that would rule it out for us and make my decision easy. What's the Recaro fabric feel like? Are the sides a lot deeper? Decisions, decisions. Thanks!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC