Van for under $8000

featherhead

We are thinking of getting a "new" van. Right now we drive a '98 Odyssey which is only 6 passenger. Due to the way it is set up, it's going to be a pitb once baby is here.

So keeping in mind that we are in Canada where prices are higher, what 7 or 8 passenger vans would you recommend? I have seen a ton of Montanas and Caravans around, and a couple others. Any specific years to avoid for certain vehicles? I would love an older Odyssey or Sienna (newer than what we have of course), but they are hard to find around here, especially in our price range.

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I have no clue about Canadian prices, but I do love my Mazda MPV. Mine is a 2006. It's got sliders on both sides, with windows that roll down. 3rd row stows, 2nd row Captain's chairs can be removed. The pass side chair slides to middle and locks. (So it has 2 positions.) It's been a very reliable vehicle for me, I've done just fine in all snow/ice etc.

Keeanh

... Never mind, you don't want a Safari -- you have snow :p

Yeah, I like the MPV. We couldn't find an 8p when we were looking. Or a newer well-cared-for Caravan. I'd be picky, though. Don't touch the Montanas!!!

featherhead

I have no clue about Canadian prices, but I do love my Mazda MPV. Mine is a 2006. It's got sliders on both sides, with windows that roll down. 3rd row stows, 2nd row Captain's chairs can be removed. The pass side chair slides to middle and locks. (So it has 2 positions.) It's been a very reliable vehicle for me, I've done just fine in all snow/ice etc.

Thanks, I will do some looking, see if I can find any of those around here.

... Never mind, you don't want a Safari -- you have snow :p

Yeah, I like the MPV. We couldn't find an 8p when we were looking. Or a newer well-cared-for Caravan. I'd be picky, though. Don't touch the Montanas!!!

Yeah, definitely snow ;) Good to know about the Montanas. I know I haven't seen them recommended much. There are plenty of Caravans, so we may find a good one for the right price.

jjordan

I don't know prices there either, but you might find a 2006 or newer Kia Sedona in your price range. We have a 2008 and really like it. The prices tend to be more like Caravan prices than Odyssey/Sienna prices.

tiggercat

Thanks, I will do some looking, see if I can find any of those around here.

Yeah, definitely snow ;) Good to know about the Montanas. I know I haven't seen them recommended much. There are plenty of Caravans, so we may find a good one for the right price.

I like my caravan some days, but it's not particularly carseat friendly.
Only 3 TA in anything newer than 01, you can retrofit some non-stowngo models but it can be challenging.
Forward leaning head restraints in capt' chairs (Monterey incompatible), tilty boosters in 3rd row, 3 across 3rd row is a real pain. Shoulder belt may not fit 5 stepping kids well in 3rd row, depends on model year.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

featherhead

I don't know prices there either, but you might find a 2006 or newer Kia Sedona in your price range. We have a 2008 and really like it. The prices tend to be more like Caravan prices than Odyssey/Sienna prices.

Thanks, I'll put that on our list as well.

We are hoping to find something right around where we live, but if we can't, we will look in Winnipeg. We should be able to find something in Winnipeg, it's just more of a hassle.

featherhead

I like my caravan some days, but it's not particularly carseat friendly.
Only 3 TA in anything newer than 01, you can retrofit some non-stowngo models but it can be challenging.
Forward leaning head restraints in capt' chairs (Monterey incompatible), tilty boosters in 3rd row, 3 across 3rd row is a real pain. Should belt may not fit 5 stepping kids well in 3rd row.

I will most definitely be trying seats in any vehicle before we buy.

What is the difference between the Caravan and Grand Caravan? My parents have a '96 Grand Caravan, so that's all I really know.

tiggercat

I will most definitely be trying seats in any vehicle before we buy.

What is the difference between the Caravan and Grand Caravan? My parents have a '96 Grand Caravan, so that's all I really know.

The grand is a bit longer than the regular, I think it gains you trunk space, possibly a bit more space between 2nd and 3rd rows? Mine is a regular caravan, nothing grand about it :p

(And you caught me before I could edit my post into a semblance if English, lol. Sorry!)

featherhead

The grand is a bit longer than the regular, I think it gains you trunk space, possibly a bit more space between 2nd and 3rd rows? Mine is a regular caravan, nothing grand about it :p

(And you caught me before I could edit my post into a semblance if English, lol. Sorry!)

Ok, so just bigger. Good to know :)

biddyk8

If you are looking for a caravan there are some good deals at the minute, well is Saskatchewan anyway. We bought an 07 caravan yesterday and got it for 1650! Bargain!:jive:

That was due to an idiot car salesman he had it advertised at 3k and we managed to get him well down. But yeah only 3 TA's :(

featherhead

If you are looking for a caravan there are some good deals at the minute, well is Saskatchewan anyway. We bought an 07 caravan yesterday and got it for 1650! Bargain!:jive:

That was due to an idiot car salesman he had it advertised at 3k and we managed to get him well down. But yeah only 3 TA's :(

Hokee!!

DH was talking to guys at work today and they were telling him about all their problems with Montanas, so I think we are in the clear with that one. We might drive around a bit tonight to see what's here.

Keeanh

Forgot about Kia too. That's a good suggestion.

Yeah, definitely snow ;)

Reason I said that is Astro/Safari is rear-wheel drive. I have a really bad time in the snow with mine, even with good snow tires and bags of sand in the trunk. I ended up getting chains so I could get up the hill to my house when the plow doesn't come around :/

However, if you were to stumble on a nice, well-maintained AWD Astro, it might be worth considering.

featherhead

This morning DH is going to look at 2 vans. A 2004 Caravan for $5900 from a dealer. And a 2003 Odyssey for $7800 private sale. Actually the Odyssey owner lives only about 8 houses down the street from us.

featherhead

Ok, I think I can officially say I hate Caravans! DH brought home 2 different Caravans to try. One was '04, the other was '05 with stow and go. The '05 was better in that DD1's Monterey worked in the captains chair (didn't work at all in the '04, not the back bench or the captains chair). But then there is only the top tether centre back, and I don't think there was any way to fit 3 across. I had a rear-facing Radian on one side, and Keyfit base on the other, and no way would I even be able to fit a ff Radian in the middle. Those awful plastic hinges get in the way.

I know the Odyssey would work, but DH was a little leery of it. Plus he doesn't want leather seats. The guy also hadn't safetied it yet. I like that the one captains chair can be moved to the centre. My sister has an '03, so I've seen how it can work for 4 kids quite well.

I guess we will just wait and hope that an Odyssey or Sienna comes along at the right price.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC