Is car seat allowed in budget truck

U

Unregistered

My husband and I have two kids ages 4 and 16 months, we are getting ready to move to California from Virginia so you can imagine it's going to be a long trip! Husband is driving truck while I'm driving our car. He and I was wondering if we could allow our son to ride in the budget truck in his car seat! He just doesn't want me to have to deal with both of the kids on that drive! Thank you in advance!

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Hi there!

Some companies have restrictions on allowing children in their trucks, so you might want to check with Budget directly.

I would also be worried about airbags in the truck. It's very possible that a rental truck like that is an older one (I don't know how often they get new ones, and I imagine they last for a while). That means if there are airbags, they might be an older generation that was very dangerous to young children, even forward-facing ones. (Obviously a rear-facing child should never go in front of any active airbag.)

I imagine a truck like that also wouldn't have the safety amenities of side airbags and stuff that modern passenger vehicles have. Plus, there's the fact that children are safer in back seats.

So...just stuff for you to think about.

We recently moved from California to Illinois. My husband drove the truck and I drove the van with all three of our kids. Other than a few fits here and there, it actually went much better than I imagined. I highly recommend portable DVD players and iPads if you have them ;) Good luck!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
We rented a Budget truck to move in 2003 and it had a key to shut the air bag off and you could (via the manual and Budget) install a car seat on the front passenger seat. As Jennie said though, this could vary by truck and Budget location.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC