Question Is it possible for a kid to be properly restrained if they're too low to see?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Ok, sorry for my weirdly-worded question. Let me explain:

I teach at a middle school. I was on pick-up supervision duty and saw to my surprise that most of the kids were actually getting into the back seat -- even though the front seat was empty. Kudos to parents for making their kids ride in back!

So then there was just one 5th/6th grader left and when she went out to her car I was on the lookout for where she was going to sit. She put her stuff in the front seat and got in behind the driver. On the passenger side, I could see just the top of a head of brown hair. I could see that the belt was pulled out, so whomever it was was wearing a seat belt. It could have been a dog, though -- that's how little of the kid I could see.

My question: if a kid is that low, they HAVE to be in the wrong restraint, right? I mean, even if the kid was in a nbb, if they aren't boosted up enough to be visible, they've gotta be in the wrong seat for their size, right? For sure they'd need a harness?

I teach 7th and 8th grade, so I don't know the kid or the family. I'm not sure what to do/say (anything? I don't want to alienate then from the school by making them think we're spying on them...) if I see it again.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
A backless booster that positioned the belt properly would be appropriate at that age, no question. Some belt geometry is better than others, and some boosters have a belt positioning strap. Now, is it LIKELY? No, it's likely the kid was in a belt only. BUT is it possible? Sure, it's possible, and you can't tell without seeing.

It's very, very, very rare for a 5th or 6th grader to actually need a harness. When it happens it usually has to do with physical and/or developmental/neurological challenges.

I probably wouldn't do anything unless a) you happened to be chatting with them and could bring the subject around to the 5-step test or b) you could get car safety information out to all the families at the school. There just aren't many ways to bring that up. And a 5th grader is typically 10/11, right? About half of children 5-step at 10, and almost all do by 12.

momtoo3

Are you asking about a sibling/other child already sitting in the passenger side of the back seat and the 5th/6th grader got in the back drivers side? Or are you asking about the child who got in the car while you were watching?

cso1997

She said the 5th/6th grader got in behind the driver. That means she doesn't know the age of the passenger side child. Maybe I read that wrong though.

ETA: Stephanie, I think she is asking about the unknown child not the 5th/6th grader that she was watching.

momtoo3

She said the 5th/6th grader got in behind the driver. That means she doesn't know the age of the passenger side child. Maybe I read that wrong though.

ETA: Stephanie, I think she is asking about the unknown child not the 5th/6th grader that she was watching.

This is how I read it too :). I just thought that maybe I was reading it wrong after reading KQ's response.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Yes. The 5th/6th grader got behind the driver and was just in the belt (I could see that seat before she got in -- no booster in it) but as a 10 or 11 year old I didn't stress as much about that. The sibling/other kid was the one who didn't even reach window-level. That kid was behind the passenger side.

Sorry that was confusing!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ah, see, I really shouldn't be online at 3:30 am. Lol. Anyway, I STILL maintain that a backless booster is appropriate if it positions the belt well for any child five and up. A belt alone not so much. But again info on the 5 step test, chatting or to everyone, probably the best approach.

Lee-B-

Ok, sorry for my weirdly-worded question. Let me explain:

I teach at a middle school. I was on pick-up supervision duty and saw to my surprise that most of the kids were actually getting into the back seat -- even though the front seat was empty. Kudos to parents for making their kids ride in back!

So then there was just one 5th/6th grader left and when she went out to her car I was on the lookout for where she was going to sit. She put her stuff in the front seat and got in behind the driver. On the passenger side, I could see just the top of a head of brown hair. I could see that the belt was pulled out, so whomever it was was wearing a seat belt. It could have been a dog, though -- that's how little of the kid I could see.

My question: if a kid is that low, they HAVE to be in the wrong restraint, right? I mean, even if the kid was in a nbb, if they aren't boosted up enough to be visible, they've gotta be in the wrong seat for their size, right? For sure they'd need a harness?

I teach 7th and 8th grade, so I don't know the kid or the family. I'm not sure what to do/say (anything? I don't want to alienate then from the school by making them think we're spying on them...) if I see it again.

My mom straps her dog in the back seat. The seat belt is buckled in. The dog has some sort of harness thingy that hooks onto the seat belt. It keeps the dog in the back and not hanging out the window or jumping on my mom etc.

So, as you said...it really could have been a dog buckled in there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC