Anything I need to know before my first day of "school"??

Mom to a few

Happily, I found out that my CPS course does have enough people (11 + me), so it will go on!! :)

Is there anything you wish someone had told you before your first day? Any helpful advice or tips?? Thanks!!

ADS

monzogary

Senior Community Member
I just finished my course last week! Clean out your car, and wear comfortable clothes. Other than that, not really much to prepare for it. Just pay attention and take notes.
Good luck!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
:yeahthat: I was in the same course as monzogary, wave. :)

I just wanted to add that we were asked to bring the owner's manuals for our cars, too, if available. We used the manuals some in the classroom the first day or so, but primarily used the manuals during hands-on practice and evaluations outside in the vehicles.

Congrats on taking the class. :thumbsup:

Starlight

Senior Community Member
On the subject of comfortable clothes, shoes... you're going to be inside cars - your own, your classmates, etc. This leads me to suggest two things, that are connected.

1. Pants. Small children (to most people, atleast) mean lollipops, candy, gum, french fries, chicken nuggets, etc. Not everyone will vacuum out their backseats. Think about it. Do you want to be in shorts with your knees touching all that? Ewww.

2. Not just pants, but High Rise Pants. You're going to have your backside sticking out of random doors. There's one girl that was in my class. I can't remember her name or her face, but the image of her crack is permanently imbeded in my brain, as she wore low rise pants every single day.

So, think about your comfort... and the comfort of others.

:D

Mom to a few

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!! Yes, I will make sure that the car is clean!! About the manual though...I'll have to take Dh's car, and I don't think he has an owner's manual. He bought his Jetta used (less than a year old from the Volkswagon dealership), but there wasn't a manual. They kept saying they'd get us one, but haven't:confused:. I know about the LATCH not being allowed in the middle--Is there any other reason that they would really need the manual?

And that was a good suggestion about the clothing too--especially about the "crack" showing :D. I've got some pants that are a little low, but I always make sure to have shirts on that are long enough to "cover the subject";).

I was just so excited to see that the lead instructor, and the other four instructors, are all female!! I was so afraid that it was going to be male instructors, and that all the other classmates would be male firemen and police officers (since they are mostly male in our area), and that they'd all just be staring while I was bending over installing seats!!

So are the classes usally are fairly even mix of male/female??

skaterbabs

Leave your rings at home. Trust me. For the same reason, trim your nails.

No low cut shirts. Those firemen may be cute, but you don't want to be flashing them just the same. ;)

skaterbabs

I really like capris for checks, they are comfortable (not too hot when it's 110*!) and long enough to protect my knees.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The owner's manual can be helpful for figuring out LATCH, seatbelt, and airbag info. If you don't have one for your car, don't sweat it. If you want to get one for your own purposes, sometimes they can be purchased on eBay. Not having one is actually a fairly realistic example of what can happen at seat check events, when parents arrive without their car's manual, or without the manual for their child's carseat. The instructors probably would have a LATCH manual handy at the class and seat checks to look up LATCH info. for most cars, too.

My class had 16 students, and all but three were women. The lead instructor works at a local hospital, and students were mostly health care/hospital employees, two or three firefighters/sheriff's dept. employees, one auto. company employee, and about four carseat message board enthusiast moms. :) All the instructors were women, too, including a couple who frequent this board from time to time. Wave to Dsunny, who earned her instructor certification at the class, yayy.

skaterbabs

YIKES! I have acrylic nails (on the shorter side). Hope they dont get in the way when I finally get to take a class!

It's not so much that they get in the way (although to a certain extent they do), it that they can and do get broken, sometimes painfully. Rings with stones tend to get caught in the belt paths of seats, hurting your fingers and sometimes damaging the rings.

I do that all the time, pretty much every day, actually.

Your SO doesn't count. :p lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC