Question Rear facing over 40 pounds

U

Unregistered

My grandson has just hit 40 pounds at 20 months old. He has reached the weight limit for his current car seat. My daughter would like to keep him facing rear til 2 or even longer since it seems so much safer. Is there an affordable car seat we could buy?

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My grandson has just hit 40 pounds at 20 months old. He has reached the weight limit for his current car seat. My daughter would like to keep him facing rear til 2 or even longer since it seems so much safer. Is there an affordable car seat we could buy?

Welcome to CSO and kudos to you and your daughter for knowing that rear-facing is the safest way for your little grandson to ride!

Affordable is relative, but I'll tell you there are very few seats that have a limit rear-facing of over 40lbs. The Diono Radian has a 45lbs rear-facing weight limit (I think all models now except the R100, I'm sure a Radian expert will be along to correct me if that's not the case!). Those seats are $250-300 I think. The Clek Foonf rear-faces to 50lbs but that one is considerably more.

If you can manage the cost of a Radian, that's great. If not, know that your dd did a GREAT thing by keeping her son rear-facing this long and that even if she needs to turn him forward-facing, if he's in the back seat in a properly installed and used car seat he is still very safe. :)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
How tall is your grandson? If you happen to know his seated height, that would be super. At 20 months it's likely he'd have plenty of height room in any of the Radian, Foonf or Peg, but knowing more about his size could help narrow that down for you if need be.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Just chiming in to ditto what others have said about the Radian, Foonf and Peg and to add a reminder that you should also ask your daughter to check her vehicle manufacturer's guidelines for LATCH if she has her son's current car seat installed with lower anchors. As he is 40 lbs, most likely, his car seat will need to be secured with a seat belt from this point forward. So when she tries out the radian, foonf or peg in her vehicle, she should consider which seat has the easiest seat belt install for her to do.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Another thing to mention is that if the rear-facing weight limit of his current seat is 40#, and he has reached 40# with clothing on (whatever he would typically wear in the seat), then he can no longer use it rear-facing. He needs to be flipped forward facing permanently or until a new seat that he can rear-face is purchased. It is not safe for him to ride over the rear-facing limit in his current seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC