Foreign Seats being sold in US?!

mom2jessnky

This is my first ever post here, so Hi, I'm Dedi, I have 2 girls, Jess is 4.5yo 35# and harnessed in a Safeguard Go, Ky is 2yo 25# RFing Britax Marathon. I CL over on Car Seats at Ivillage, and we have a problem...

There is a store (on Ebay) and in the Metro Atlanta Area selling seats that are CLEARLY not US seats.

www.thebabyfactoryoutlet.com (click on Car seats)

I and few others have contacted the person who runs the store stating that they shouldn't sell those seats here, the person said it's fine they're approved for IMPORT. :mad:

I'm having an off day with the internet and cannot find any AHA! proof where it states you can't use a non US seat in the US because of XYZ.

Can anyone shove me in the right direction? I'd be eternally grateful.

:)

~* Dedi

ADS

jaded

I reported the online store and the Ebay auctions to Safety Belt safe, I couldn't find a NHTSA contact at the time.

The guy also seems to think that the CPSC approves carseats in this country.

jaded

No, not Chinese. They'd definitely be European since he says they pass the EU standards. Not Britax, I checked all their foreign sites. And I tried to get a better picture of the brand name out of him, and he refused.

canadianmom2three

what is a 6 point harness anyway - the red one boasts that?
There is also a lot of other wonky looking things on there - some highchairs that look a little iffy...

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I'm guessing a 6pt harness would be due to a split crotch strap?

Is it not sufficient enough that a seat *must* have a FMVSS 213 sticker on it to be legal to use in the US, which these would not?

Interesting how he has a picture of a Britax carseat (marathon I think) and calls it an Alphasport. :rolleyes:

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I guarantee their origin is China. 99.99% positive. I'm not saying they're not EU seats, but their origin is China. Chinese goods flood the market here in Vancouver ('Hongcouver') and this situation is so familiar to me.. Sometimes they're knock-offs (scary!!) and a lot of the time they're walking out the back of the factories, unknown to the manufacturer who has contracted a Chinese factory to make their seats...

Your new Coach, Prada, D&G, Chanel, etc bag/sunglasses/wallet/jacket, etc you got off eBay? Guess where that came from...

-N.

No, not Chinese. They'd definitely be European since he says they pass the EU standards. Not Britax, I checked all their foreign sites. And I tried to get a better picture of the brand name out of him, and he refused.

Mommy090804

Wow!:jaw: I have to commend everyone for jumping on this one right away! The website for the carseats in horrible! Interesting how it avoids naming the seats.

I am curious to know what will happen... Is there any chance that this retailer will be fined or reprimanded, or will the seats just have to be removed? Does the NHTSA take the seats away? Is there a chance that the retailer still may be able to sell them "under the counter"? Someone please enlighten me...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC