bus stop: walk there in steady rain or let 3-5yo ride in front seat?

D&L's-mommy

I know where I stand on this question. Here's more info. my DD is in kindergarten, her bus stop is on the corner 3 doors down from our house. Today it's raining steady, maybe even some would say heavy. I put my 10mo DNi in the stroller with the weather cover, I grabbed an umbrella and walked to the bus stop and stood in the rain. Meanwhile the other moms drove to the bus stop with their preschoolers in the front seat, then when their kindergarteners got off the bus they also hopped in the front seat, and they drove off. It's *only* 1/2 a block,but I would NEVER allow that. One mom told me it's so mean to make my DD walk in the rain, I told her it's just water, and that allowing her young children to ride unrestrained in the front seat can be lethal, she said "it's only 1/2 a block, nothing's going to happen" What do you guys think?

ADS

vtbecca

We did not allow our kids in the front seat at all at that age. And even going around the corner they would be buckled in their seats. You never know, and the thought of a young child, especially unrestrained, and an air bag really scares me. I personally wouldn't do it. I know people that would. I JUST started letting my 12.5 year old ride in the front seat, with the seat pushed back and him buckled. Our car doesn't move if people aren't buckled. Ever. Because no one ever plans on a tragic accident.

Becca

Meg

My kids love putting on their rain boots and raincoats and playing in the pouring rain, so I'd have no problem walking in the rain. ;) I walked two miles to and from school while there was a light rain today with my 3 kids and my son's friend.. Didn't bother any of them at all. So you're not weird for walking a few houses down! Lol.

As far as the front seat, I can't think of a reason I'd put the kids in the front seat unrestrained. Just doesn't make sense when their seats are in the back. :confused:

Baylor

Explain to me why they can not be in the back seat???

Why is this the only option? I would have them in the back seat, Then get to the corner and let them get out.

oddduck

I have no issues walking in the rain with my kids. My kids take the bus to school it's like a 10 minute walk - maybe 15min in heavy snow. The only time I would consider hopping in a car to drive to the bus stop would be good sized hail (and I would put them in the back seat - in proper restraints).

3 doors down is not very far. :rolleyes:

newyorkDOC

I'd walk in the rein bc I'm too lazy to Buckle the kids into their seats for 3 doors. It'd take me longer and I'd still be wet in the rain while buckling them. It wouldn't even occur to me to not buckle them in.

Baylor

I'd walk in the rein bc I'm too lazy to Buckle the kids into their seats for 3 doors. It'd take me longer and I'd still be wet in the rain while buckling them. It wouldn't even occur to me to not buckle them in.

And this is why I have a minivan.. ;)

Never wanted one but bad weather is the best reason.. WE all run and pile in and everyone buckles up and there is enough room for me to stand and walk around checking people before I sit down in my seat.. ;)

jacqui276

Assuming that you aren't out in the country where "3 doors down" is a substantially long walk, I don't see why walking is an issue? It would take longer or me to get everyone in the car than it would to walk 3 doors down. I often have to park at least 3 doors down since there is no where else to park and we walk in the pouring rain and blizzarding snow like that without issue.

1mommy

A car crash can happen anywhere at anytime, in fact the majority of accidents happen close to home (52% happen within 5 miles according to progressive http://www.drivingtoday.com/features/archive/crashes/index.html#axzz2h3noVYbH). KetchupQueen shared this on her facebook page the other day and I thought id did a good job of explaining why its important to be buckled up every time, perhaps you can share it with your neighbor. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kate-...-crashes-two-different-results_b_3957804.html

ginny4

I'd do & have done with no issues whatsoever put the kids in the back unbuckled up to the bus stop. ours is much further than 3 doors down. i measured it .3miles

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd do & have done with no issues whatsoever put the kids in the back unbuckled up to the bus stop. ours is much further than 3 doors down. i measured it .3miles

Things can happen in a third of a mile, and do. It's not a farm or closed parade route, right? (Even on a farm I'm leery depending on conditions.)

Not to mention it sets a precedent of not buckling up.

If we're in the car we're buckled up, period. It's the law and it's the safe thing to do.

canadiangie

I don't understand the question.

But to answer the question, we would walk (we're a hearty bunch up here) or I would drive with kids buckled in the back.

Mommy!

I would do just as you did...don the rainboots, umbrellas and weather covers and walk!

Really IMO besides the huge, unnecessary risk of the kids not being properly restrained, people who think its "mean" for a child to walk in the rain for two minutes and drive them instead are the ones being cruel, by modelling inactivity and an attitude of entitlement.

Now I say this assuming a neurotypical, healthy and able bodied child and parent and no other extenuating circumstances such as a newborn.

D&L's-mommy

sorry, to clarify, for me, there's no question. But I've also been told I'm paranoid and overprotective. I know that you share in my CPS passion (or you wouldn't be here) so I was curious what your feelings are on the matter. I know that anything can happen at anytime (I've almost been in wrecks several times just backing out of the house ( and so have many of my neighbors), you can't see around the corner and there's no stop sign coming towards my house only away from it, and sometimes cars come around the corner way too fast. I also don't want to set a precedent. The kids know the only place for them is to be in the back seat, buckled, I don't want to give them a reason to think otherwise.

Explain to me why they can not be in the back seat???

Why is this the only option? I would have them in the back seat, Then get to the corner and let them get out.

the other moms all said it takes too long to buckle them in while it's raining, that they'll get just as wet taking the time to buckle them as it would to walk to the bus stop. And that they can't sit in the back seat because their car seats are back there there's no room for them to sit (yes, that was their reasoning)

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
A car crash can happen anywhere at anytime, in fact the majority of accidents happen close to home (52% happen within 5 miles according to progressive http://www.drivingtoday.com/features/archive/crashes/index.html#axzz2h3noVYbH). KetchupQueen shared this on her facebook page the other day and I thought id did a good job of explaining why its important to be buckled up every time, perhaps you can share it with your neighbor. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kate-...-crashes-two-different-results_b_3957804.html

This article made me cry. Not just tear up but really cry. Thank you for sharing it, I hadn't seen it.

To answer the original question, no I would not let my kid ride unrestrained in the front seat. I feel like if it's a short enough distance to be tempted to drive with kids unrestrained, it's a short enough distance to walk in the rain. And if the weather is inclement, all the more reason to be safe in the car. If it's hailing, blizzarding, or even raining, you need to be more careful about buckling up properly, not less.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Walk. No question.

I used to live a block from my dck's school, and unless it was frigid or pouring, we walked. It took me longer to load & buckle six kiddos than it did to walk them all over there. I see this as much the same thing. I am not the Wicked Witch of the East & will not melt :p

Athena

:jaw: My reaction to putting little kids in the front seat, much less unrestrained ... for any distance.

One never knows when or where it will happen. I just couldn't do it. Plus I've taught my kids way too well, so they'd freak if I did that. They would not allow me to drive them anywhere not properly restrained. :love: It's not just about whether it could happen (of course, it could), but what this teaches the kids. Good for you for not giving into their peer pressure!

I'd walk in the rain bc I'm too lazy to Buckle the kids into their seats for 3 doors. It'd take me longer and I'd still be wet in the rain while buckling them. It wouldn't even occur to me to not buckle them in.

:yeahthat:

nannykates

My brother was in an accident 2 houses down from ours. Had he not been buckled the story probably wouldn't be about the totalled van, but rather his life ending or changing injuries...instead we get to poke fun at him because he only had a few bruises. I don't go so far as to back a vehicle out of the garage without a seatbelt on and I'd want to afford a child far more protection!

Suzibeck

A young man from our church was killed several years ago pulling out of his driveway. We would walk.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC