Do you guys think this looks ok?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The report from Britax about lapbelt only installs FFing got me thinking. It finally occurred to me as I did a lady's seat this week that a locking lapbelt can be used like a locking clip. Shorten THEN buckle. Piper's seat had been incompatible in the middle FFing because of the lapbelt under the LATCH bars rule. I couldn't get it tight enough. But then I tried it tightening it first and shoving the buckle under the bar and buckling it. It's tight, it doesn't go anywhere, and the LATCH bar doesn't have anything yay or nay to do with it, but the buckle is smooshed up right beneath it. I have to move the seat back and forth along the belt to get the buckle to finish popping out all the way. Do you guys think that's an acceptable installation? It's rock solid, the belt is tight independent of the LATCH bar, it's like doing a lockiing clip, I have to rock the seat back and forth and take ten tries to get it.

1408925961_76ee5316bc_b.jpg

Wendy

ADS

crunchierthanthou

The report from Britax about lapbelt only installs FFing got me thinking. It finally occurred to me as I did a lady's seat this week that a locking lapbelt can be used like a locking clip. Shorten THEN buckle. Piper's seat had been incompatible in the middle FFing because of the lapbelt under the LATCH bars rule. I couldn't get it tight enough. But then I tried it tightening it first and shoving the buckle under the bar and buckling it. It's tight, it doesn't go anywhere, and the LATCH bar doesn't have anything yay or nay to do with it, but the buckle is smooshed up right beneath it. I have to move the seat back and forth along the belt to get the buckle to finish popping out all the way. Do you guys think that's an acceptable installation? It's rock solid, the belt is tight independent of the LATCH bar, it's like doing a lockiing clip, I have to rock the seat back and forth and take ten tries to get it.

I don't think I've ever done a lap-only belt without shortening then buckling it. It definitely cuts down on the cuss words involved. :p

I don't think I'd feel comfortable with it smooshed against it. I view it as the buckle pushing against the rigid edge of the beltpath, which could cause failure in a crash. Does the belt stalk have three full twists? It looks like it maybe does, but I'm not sure.

Dillipop

That's how I do mine with my buick. Shorten the lap belt and then buckle. It can be a bear to get the bulky buckle under the latch bars, but by shortening it, it seems to work better. Mine looks just like yours.

cpsaddict

This is what it looks like in the center of my Escape with a FF Marathon. I feel ok with it being smooshed up against it because once the buckle is clicked in, it will not release unless the red button is pressed, so it can push on it and it will not release or loosen.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't think I've ever done a lap-only belt without shortening then buckling it. It definitely cuts down on the cuss words involved. :p

I don't think I'd feel comfortable with it smooshed against it. I view it as the buckle pushing against the rigid edge of the beltpath, which could cause failure in a crash. Does the belt stalk have three full twists? It looks like it maybe does, but I'm not sure.

Yes, three full twists. The stalk is LONG and it's memorized that position from years of RFing the seat there.

When Piper was RFing I never had to tighten it first. I buckled it over the cover and I could get it installed in about 10 seconds flat. Pull through, buckle, tighten, done.

I had half taken the seat out the other day thinking I was going to want to bring it with us to take care of my nephew (turns out he's in an Evenflo Triumph Advance LX, the Snugride that was involved in not one wreck but two is now the spare seat with grandma. UGH) but then we just left and we used his seat. So I had to put it back in today or have it flying about on the lapbelt. Since it's such a bear to shove that buckle under the LATCH bar and get it buckled I just put it outboard again. I KNOW it's fine there. And while I'd prefer the middle, it's safer and easier to hand things to Piper, I just don't know about the installation. Maybe I should drive back to Charlotte and ask Britax personally. LOL

Thanks.

Wendy

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Nah, the report was on this website. It was the report from the people who went to the Britax training last week.

amy919

Thanks for the link. Since I just got out of a 3+ hour management meeting and my brain is fried - I just want to clarify...

So this only applies to FF installations with lap belt only, not lap/shoulder belts? There is no issue with continuing to have my MA installed FF with LATCH and top tether, right?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC