Recaro Prosport - Booster mode

vdubpower

so i was just wondering if anyone is using the prosport in booster mode instead of purchasing the next line up likea Probooster

my 6 year old (today, Happy B day) is 43lbs or so, and in the main car uses a prosport with harness.
In one of my previous post i showed her in a probooster for my car. I like it but i think she can still be in a harness (heck why not ), and according to the specs of the prosport she should be able to use it for a long time..

what is some of the criteria you guys will move them to the probooster than use them in booster mode in a prosport

Ofcourse the issue comes up as to buying another prosprt, is twice the cost of even the new performance probooster. I want to get what i need that will keep me from having to buy more and more in teh future

Kids are 6 yr old, 3.5 yr old 14 month old
seats i have , 2 prosports, 1 keyfit chicco, 1 signo ( recall swapping i hope)
and 2 proboosters which i bought 2 weeks ago ( probably returning them )

ADS

bnsnyde

I used the seat in booster mode once my son outgrew the harness. He was 6.5 years old.

I love this seat in harness or booster mode.

I actually didn't think the separate booster only version had as deep as sides. So he'll use this in booster mode until he outgrows it (it's not a super tall booster), and then I do plan to get the booster-only version.

jess71903

Ambassador
I would have used it in booster mode if a) I hadn't gotten a killer deal on an Oobr, and b) I wanted to pass the PS down to DD to use harnessed. I very well may use it for her boostered.

vdubpower

are there specific criteria to go from harness to seatbelt within a combo seat? like the prosport
versus moving away from booster mode in a combo seat and then moving to a pure booster.

with my kid, ive only just lifted the head rest up one level and i think the harness shoulder area moves up with it....its got a few notches so i think it could last her a while

Is the above is true, it mean then for my car ( the secondary car) i should return the proboosters i got and get another prosport...$$$$, and then also something for the 3.5yr old too, wow didnt think id end up with like 6 seats for 3 kids

Keeyamah

are there specific criteria to go from harness to seatbelt within a combo seat? like the prosport
versus moving away from booster mode in a combo seat and then moving to a pure booster.

You can either move them to a dedicated booster or switch to a combo to booster mode when 1) the child is old enough to have the maturity to sit properly for the whole ride (usually around 5-6 yrs old) 2) the fit is good (shoulder belt over the middle of the shoulder and lap belt touching the thighs) and they meet the minimums (like weight) or 3) the child has outgrown the harness mode on the combo seat.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
If you're asking whether there's any difference between using a dedicated booster or using a combination seat as a booster, no, there're really the same thing. In any case, you want to make sure it fits the child properly and that the child is old enough/mature enough, and large enough to use it, as a previous poster stated.

vdubpower

ok
but what techinically defines outgrowing harness mode...my kids arent big, so it seems that they should be able to be kept harness for a while, based on how the prosport is advertised.
i can always remove the bottom seat extra pad to give more thigh room but like i said i can still move the head adjust ment up for a few notches

jess71903

Ambassador
A harness is outgrown by weight limit (obviously, and rarely), height limit, for those that have a standing height limit, but more likely, when a child's shoulders go over the top harness slots (since harness must be at or above shoulders) or tops of ears go above the shell.

Now, with a seat like the ProSport, I don't expect every kid to be harnessed in one until they outgrow it. When a kid is at least 4, at least 40lbs, and mature enough to sit properly in a booster (most often sometime between ages 5 and 6), then a booster is considered equally safe as a harness.

Keeyamah

ok
but what techinically defines outgrowing harness mode...my kids arent big, so it seems that they should be able to be kept harness for a while, based on how the prosport is advertised.
i can always remove the bottom seat extra pad to give more thigh room but like i said i can still move the head adjust ment up for a few notches

Outgrowing the harness usually means shoulder above the top slot/setting, ears above the top of the shell, or the child reaches the weight limit.

It sounds like your kids won't do that, so you base if off of their maturity.

My 90-95% son however, will possibly outgrow his harness seat before he is mature enough to be boostered. He is just turned 4, 45lbs and 43” or so (it's been a while since he was measured). I recently moved him up to the 7th (of 10) click on his Britax Frontier 85. Which is supposed to have 20" slots, I get 19" out of my car, and lose an inch when it's installed :( so I will only get 18" of toros height before he outgrows it. Now it may just be his fall jacket that made it look like he was even with the 6th slot, and I'll be able to go back down next summer, but then again, I may not just due to growth.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC