15 vintage car seat photos (and sarcastic captions too!)

ADS

_juune

This one might be one of the Volvos that had a front passenger seat that could be turned RF, designed specially so that kids could go RF. Later on they decided that a separate child seat mounted on car's seat was a better idea after all.

D&L's-mommy

They did the best they knew how with good intentions :(

that's exactly what I thought. in the 60s a lot of cars didn't even have seatbelts, my dad and his siblings traveled as infants in a laundry basket on the floor of the back seat, so I give these parents a lot of credit for getting their kids seats, even if they fall drastically short of our standards today, they chose to do something to do help keep their kids safer. I imagine some of those parents got slack for being "overprotective" or "car safety crazy" like some of us here do (at least I know I do)

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
The Ford Tot Guard "Three Martini Lunch" was actually a decent CR that delivered real crash protection - far superior to anything else on the market in the late 60's. It wasn't the same as other shield boosters and you can see the difference. Yeah, it looked weird but the engineers actually put some thought into this one.

YinzerMama

one or two of those cars didn't even have seat belts for the adults

We were watching Mad Men recently and in the car when Betty was driving Sally to/from her boarding school interview I noticed the seat belts for the car appeared to be detachable - you could store them on the ceiling? In one shot one was hanging loose and flapping around behind Sally, in another shot you could see it neatly stored about Betty and above Sally for the drive home. Anyone know anything about this? I don't know if they were really like that back then or if they found a car someone restored and added seatbelts to in this fashion?

Here is a video clip - it is the drive home and sally's was no longer hanging, it was up on the ceiling.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/17/mad-men-sally_n_3454730.html

Last edited:

classicseats

We were watching Mad Men recently and in the car when Betty was driving Sally to/from her boarding school interview I noticed the seat belts for the car appeared to be detachable - you could store them on the ceiling? In one shot one was hanging loose and flapping around behind Sally, in another shot you could see it neatly stored about Betty and above Sally for the drive home. Anyone know anything about this? I don't know if they were really like that back then or if they found a car someone restored and added seatbelts to in this fashion?

Here is a video clip - it is the drive home and sally's was no longer hanging, it was up on the ceiling.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/17/mad-men-sally_n_3454730.html

The early shoulder straps were separate from the lap belts and had there own female buckle just like the lap belts! There were two wire like clips on the headliner to store the shoulder strap when not in use. They were optional on cars for a few years until they became standard equipment.

YinzerMama

The early shoulder straps were separate from the lap belts and had there own female buckle just like the lap belts! There were two wire like clips on the headliner to store the shoulder strap when not in use. They were optional on cars for a few years until they became standard equipment.

Wow, thanks! I showed my dad the video clip and he couldn't remember ever having seen that in a car.

mom of six

My parents owned a 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle and it had seat belts like that. The female end of the buckle was the adjustable side and the male end was longer so that the buckle landed in line with your belly button. The Shoulder belt was similar but its buckle ended at about your chest. To adjust porperly you were supposed to leave a fit width space between your sternum and the belt.

As a kid the crazy part for me was how many seat belts there were in the front seat. SO picture with me...from the passenger door side of the seat...
Male end of the belt (about 18 inches long. They often fell out of the car door and got wet in the rain) Moving towards the center of the car... female buckle for waist belt, female buckle for shoulder belt, female buckle for center belt. Moving towards the drivers side...male end for the center belt, female end for the drivers shoulder belt, female end for the drivers lap belt. And finally, at the drivers door side of the seat, male end of the lap belt.

That is eight things dangling from the seat bight. My dad was kind of OCD about arranging them so that the heavy buckle end hung just off the edge of the seat so they would stay in place.

My dad would only buckle the lap part unless he was on a long trip. Then he would fish the male part of the shoulder buckle from the metal clips on the ceiling and buckle that.

I was born in 1972 and this car lasted long enough for me to drive it. The seats were so old that I had to sit on a pillow to see over the steering wheel and I had to use both feet on the brakes because it did not have power brakes. But boy could it move!!!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC