Beauties we got from the roundup on Saturday...

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
We had an expired seat roundup and ended up w/ 10+ seats so that is great. Here's some classic ones, I LOVE the blue vinyl. ;)

1992 Kolcraft Traveller 700 complete w/ duck tape
expired003.jpg

expired004.jpg

1989 Century, no base or handle
expired006.jpg

1994-97 Cosco Regal Ride
expired008.jpg

ADS

mominabigtruck

Do ya'll give out new seats in exchange for the expired seats?? They used to do that at a health dept I worked at and it was great. They would have a whole dumpster full once a month.

ZephyrBlue

You should let ThreeBeans at 'em with her saw LOL!!

Great job :thumbsup: I'm curious about what the replacements were, too.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
We had the check at a new shopping center and gave $10 gc for shopping there for each seat and we had seats for sale and were able to give some out for those who just couldn't afford it. I helped a mom w/ 4 kids in a 92 Cougar, she got a Snugride in trade for her 05 Assura (it was hard to use w/out a base and 3 across in the backseat) and all she could afford was 1.75. We were able to get 2 Turbos to another family who came in w/ a 4 and 6yo in seatbelts only, they only had $5. Overall, it was a great check. We don't normally have so many seats at the checks (like the Snugrides), but we knew we'd be having to replace some of the seats that came in.

keri1292

I love that they chose coordinating blue duct tape! :D Glad they got safe seats in exchange. :thumbsup:

StarrNanny

I'm sitting here looking at these with B in my lap and he says "yucky yucky... miss-sharda OLD carseat.":D I taught them well.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
that looks like the lot we had from our check on the 15th... we had a seat from 1986 i kid you not!!! I was shocked, it was only 2 years younger then me and still in use... the same car had a 1992 fisherpice seat as well... gross

jaded

I had that infant seat! Hospital giveaway in 1995(on the walk through of maternity, they made it a point to tell me not to buy an infant seat, since the hospital would give us one), it really wasn't that bad of a seat. Nice and lightweight.

They were still made up until LATCH became a mandate.

amyg530

1989 Century, no base or handle
expired006.jpg

omg i have this seat! lol, i bought it from a consignment sale a few weeks ago for like $5 after talking another mom out of buying it. mine is cooler:rolleyes: though b/c it has an awesome aftermarket cover and head insert. actually i didnt realize that the cover was aftermarket till just now, i had no idea the vinal covers where how they made them back then. i've been meaning to take pictures of mine to post but everytime i think about it DH is home, and i dont want him to see the seat b/c he'll give me grief for spending money on a piece of junk

ZephyrBlue

I have a question; when someone comes to a check with a seat like one of those three, how do you initiate conversation about them being expired, trashed, yucky seats? I imagine that a certain amount of finesse is called for, but I'd love to hear how the dialogue starts, etc.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
It goes something like this:

Well, first of all your seat is expired.
Really, they expire.
Yes, most seats have a 6yr expiration before the manufacturer has decided it's not safe to use.
Oh, o.k.

Then I tell them they need a new seat and go into more detail on crash requirments, no way to track recalls etc if they don't want to trash the seat. I've never had anyone argue w/ me, but I have a tech who at her first check here had parents refuse to get a new seat for their child, their seat was 11yrs old, but the new baby was in a Safeseat. :rolleyes: Most people have old seats simply b/c they don't know they're not safe so when they learn they are quick to get a new one.

amyg530

Amy, fess up, you know you're using it for Colin when he comes. ;)

you're right, the snugride from 05 and the SS1 that lauren gave me just seemed too new so i thought i'd put him in a seats thats 18 years old instead:whistle:

KIDDING!!!!

i think i'm gonna bring it to br when we go visit for christmas and use my dads dremmel tool to cut it up, it just seems like it would be fun

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC