Please explain what a crash pulse is

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm looking for some discussion about what a crash pulse is and is not, and then some discussion and comparison between the different ones used in different types of testing.

My (tenuous) understanding of it is it's the rate of acceleration, top speed achieved, plus rate of deceleration for the test sled during a crash test. Is this correct?

So a test that is accelerating rapidly, attains a higher rate of speed, and decelerates more rapidly would be a much harsher (higher? stronger?) pulse than one with a slower/longer acceleration, lower speed, and longer deceleration time. Is the whole pulse considered those three elements together?

And then I find stuff like the CMVSS Test Procedure and see this graph, which my engineering husband says isn't very well done, and appears to only show the acceleration to the top speed of 48 km/hr (35mph) and doesn't account for the deceleration portion at all, so I'm confused. http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-mvstm_tsd-tm-2130_e-670.htm#sh2

School me please!

ADS

tiggercat

I have wondered the same exact thing! Also, sometimes I hear about the "testing corridor" associated with the crash pulse, in some way?

The mind boggles.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Pixelated

I have wondered the same exact thing! Also, sometimes I hear about the "testing corridor" associated with the crash pulse, in some way?

Ha, that I think I do get! It's the upper and lower limits for the various parameters at different times of the test. So if the corridor is broad there is a bigger difference in the time it takes to attain the maximum acceleration, etc. I think that broadening the corridor means more labs can run the tests but makes the results harder to compare because there's far more variation. Or it's possible I just made that up entirely.

tiggercat

Ha, that I think I do get! It's the upper and lower limits for the various parameters at different times of the test. So if the corridor is broad there is a bigger difference in the time it takes to attain the maximum acceleration, etc. I think that broadening the corridor means more labs can run the tests but makes the results harder to compare because there's far more variation. Or it's possible I just made that up entirely.

I get that it's the upper and lower boundaries, but I can't quite understand what that looks like. So the parameters have to be between those boundaries for a set amount of time? And if we make the boundaries wider, that makes the test more precise. I follow, I think.

Where/when in that diagram is the actual "impact"?

Pixelated

I get that it's the upper and lower boundaries, but I can't quite understand what that looks like. So the parameters have to be between those boundaries for a set amount of time? And if we make the boundaries wider, that makes the test more precise. I follow, I think.

I think making them wider makes the test less precise?

The impact in that diagram is, if I am reading it properly, at the very end. The first up hill is an increasing acceleration (like stomping on the gas pedal), and then the flat line is even acceleration (still on the gas pedal but not burning rubber), and then the down hill is still accelerating but not as fast, as in you're nearly up to speed so you ease off on the gas. Where the down hill line meets the x-axis is when there is no more acceleration and the even speed of 48km/hr has been reached.

Please someone with a better grasp of this come along and fill in the blanks....

tiggercat

Oh, typo on my part. Wider boundaries, less precise.

And that was helpful! That would make sense with that sequence of events.

Now hopefully someone can explain the rest to you so you can explain it to me :p

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
There are a number of factors involved, but perhaps the most important when looking at a graph is the peak level and how quickly the peak level was reached. This could be roughly considered to be similar to the speed of the vehicle and how rapidly the vehicle stopped in a crash. As we all know, less ride down time means more energy transferred to the occupant. So, a broader, shorter curve would presumably be less likely to cause injury than a narrower, taller one.

This is why most child restraint manufacturers use various pulses to make sure their carseats can withstand various types of crashes. In contrast to the federal standard testing, there is also a more severe type of pulse that mimics an NCAP vehicle crash test that is done at a slightly higher speed of 35mph. I believe many also use a particular pulse believed to be even more severe as it is supposed to be one measured for a smaller car, I think a Toyota Echo or similar model, that was known to have a more difficult pulse. These pulses would presumably have more energy, because the peak is higher corresponding to a higher speed for the sled. Also, the rate of initial acceleration/deceleration would be faster, as this particular vehicle did not provide the same energy management as it crushes compared to other vehicles.

Pixelated

My understanding, after some reading that might have exploded my brain, is that the crash pulse is meant to mimic what the occupants experience versus what the vehicle is experiencing, in terms of force. So a sled crash at 35mph doesn't mean the vehicle is traveling that fast -- presumably faster, yes? -- because crumple zones and various other energy management systems within the vehicle are absorbing some of those forces.

AK Dad

OK, lots of good stuff to discuss, so I will do my best to help explain in plain english as much as possible!

I think that broadening the corridor means more labs can run the tests ...

Yes, that's correct, and not even necessarily that more labs can run the tests, but even the same lab on a different day with different weight dummies and different seats needs to have some sort of "window" to shoot for. If they made that window too tight, they might have to re-test the same seat/dummy combination an unnecessary number of times to get their test pulse to fall within that window. Certainly they're doing the math and dialing in their equipment to produce the proper result, but making things match the theoretical mathematical precision in the real world is a bit more difficult.

So the parameters have to be between those boundaries for a set amount of time?

Well, the entire actual test pulse needs to remain within those boundaries from start to finish to be valid.

And if we make the boundaries wider, that makes the test more precise.

No, other way around - if the "window" were wider, that would make the test less precise, as far as comparing one set of results to another. The key again is to make the window wide enough to be achievable and still narrow enough to allow you to compare one to another.

Here's where I think a lot of the confusion is coming from - the "impact" occurs at the far left of the graph, at Time = 0ms. Think of it this way: the exact instant a vehicle collision occurs is when the first piece of the front bumper hits an object, but at that exact instant, there's not going to be any force getting to the occupants, right? That first millisecond of the collision only involves, say, a piece of plastic bumper being pushed into whatever is behind it, and so on thru the entire crash event. As plastic crushes into metal, and more metal, and more and more structure of the front end of the car, the overall deceleration that the occupants "feel" increases up to a certain maximum G-force. That maximum G-force is a function of the speed that you're trying to model along with the ride-down time. Think about it this way: if we kept the speed we're trying to model (in this particular case 48km/h) constant but changed the type of vehicle we're testing (since remember this is just testing whatever "average" vehicle they want to model) we'd have a different curve. With many things in physics, it's often helpful to think thru the theory in the extreme, so if we were to model the impulse of a SmartCar, which has very little structure to crush and give us ride-down time, the slope of the graph at the beginning would be steeper, and also the maximum G-loading would be higher. If, on the other hand we imagined a car with a 20' hood that was all designed to crush evenly, the slope would be less and the maximum G would be lower.

The impact in that diagram is, if I am reading it properly, at the very end. The first up hill is an increasing acceleration (like stomping on the gas pedal), and then the flat line is even acceleration (still on the gas pedal but not burning rubber), and then the down hill is still accelerating but not as fast, as in you're nearly up to speed so you ease off on the gas. Where the down hill line meets the x-axis is when there is no more acceleration and the even speed of 48km/hr has been reached.

Nope. :D So, the confusion is that you're trying to put 48km/h somewhere on the graph, but if you look at it again, you'll see that the axis are time and acceleration (G-force). If you wanted to add a "speed" axis to the graph, it would start at Time=0ms at 48km/h and end at Time=75-90ms at 0km/h. One of the other things that may be confusing is that the sled doesn't need to (and likely doesn't) ever actually go "48km/h" at any time during the test. The physics dictate that we don't care about "absolute" speed - only the accelerations applied to the occupants. This is why sometimes you'll see sled tests where the sled is at rest and then a pneumatic piston pushes it backwards to achieve the required impulse - from the standpoint of what the "occupants" "feel" there's absolutely no difference between that and getting a sled up to speed and running it into a barrier. In fact, from a technical standpoint, it's easier to control variables when the "at-speed" reference frame is at zero actual velocity.

There are a number of factors involved, but perhaps the most important when looking at a graph is the peak level and how quickly the peak level was reached. This could be roughly considered to be similar to the speed of the vehicle and how rapidly the vehicle stopped in a crash. As we all know, less ride down time means more energy transferred to the occupant. So, a broader, shorter curve would presumably be less likely to cause injury than a narrower, taller one.

Hopefully my explanations above help to make Darren's (correct) explanation also make sense? ;)

My understanding, after some reading that might have exploded my brain, is that the crash pulse is meant to mimic what the occupants experience versus what the vehicle is experiencing, in terms of force.

Yes! :dance: Remember that different parts of the vehicle are experiencing hugely different forces - that first plastic bit of bumper that hits something is decelerating from X speed to zero nearly instantaneously, so if you were to look at its impulse curve it would be nearly infinitely narrow and infinitely tall. If you looked then at the impulse curve for say the first 1/3rd of the front end of the car, it would probably be experiencing 300 or 400G ... all we care about is the force the occupants experience, which thru experimentally gathering data from the occupant compartment of full-scale crashes can be modeled with this particular impulse curve.

So a sled crash at 35mph doesn't mean the vehicle is traveling that fast -- presumably faster, yes? -- because crumple zones and various other energy management systems within the vehicle are absorbing some of those forces.

No. :( :D
Remember, the big factor in understanding this is that the sled never actually travels across the lab floor at 30mph or 35mph ... the sled merely models the acceleration curve of what the occupants of the "average" vehicle experience in a 30 or 35mph collision. You are correct though that crumple zones and energy management features of vehicles will change the curve significantly, for instance, our SmartCar into a barrier at 35mph will impart a significantly more energetic impulse to the occupants than say a Volvo XC70 at 35mph into a barrier simply because the Volvo will have more ride-down time with its 5 feet of crumple zone in comparison with the "Smart" car's 1 foot of crumple zone.

OK, hope that helped! If not, let me know and I'll try to find some videos that will help explain it better!

Pixelated

AK Dad, I think I love you.

It all makes SO much more sense now. Thanks for taking the time to explain. If you have videos that would be helpful I would appreciate the links with your clear commentary about what they're showing!

AK Dad

U bet! So glad it helped! I'll look for some videos in the next few days and post what I find ...

AK Dad

OK, so I tried to find some good videos, and came up with a couple ...

This one shows a sled undergoing a pulse both in real-time and then a couple of slow-motion shots. A good example of using a stationary starting state to simulate the steady-state 30 or 35mph - then the "crash" occurs as the piston pushes the sled "backwards" (although it's only "backwards" from our frame of reference - as far as the forces on the dummies, it's exactly the same as crashing into a stationary object)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIeM1BEBD88"]Ford Inflatable Safety Belts - YouTube[/ame]

This one also shows the same in slow motion, and if you look closely you can see how the G "ramps-up" at the beginning like in the graph, rather than just going instantly from zero to 30G or whatever ...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYZykF9AHWo"]Simulated 35 mph frontal crash demonstrating effectiveness of proper use of LATCH - YouTube[/ame]

Pixelated

OK, so I tried to find some good videos, and came up with a couple ...

This one shows a sled undergoing a pulse both in real-time and then a couple of slow-motion shots. A good example of using a stationary starting state to simulate the steady-state 30 or 35mph - then the "crash" occurs as the piston pushes the sled "backwards" (although it's only "backwards" from our frame of reference - as far as the forces on the dummies, it's exactly the same as crashing into a stationary object)

THAT statement just made it ALL make sense. Thanks for the videos, and the Ford one in particular was interesting for the inflatable belt info as well!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC