Vent Why don't convertible seats have shades??

kabecker

It drives me crazy that there is no good way to keep the sun out of my daughter's eyes in a convertible seat! The canopy on her Keyfit didn't do a great job, but I could at least undo the Velcro and pull the shade forward if the sun was directly in her eyes in the car. But now in her MySize, there's no way to keep the sun out of her eyes. All the shades that go on the window are a joke, she won't keep sunglasses on, and tinting only helps to a certain degree.

I wish that companies would make convertibles with a shade. They come on buckets, so it shouldn't be a safety issue to put them on convertibles, right?? Just frustrated with a screaming baby in the backseat with sun in her eyes :(

ADS

jgomez411

It drives me crazy that there is no good way to keep the sun out of my daughter's eyes in a convertible seat! The canopy on her Keyfit didn't do a great job, but I could at least undo the Velcro and pull the shade forward if the sun was directly in her eyes in the car. But now in her MySize, there's no way to keep the sun out of her eyes. All the shades that go on the window are a joke, she won't keep sunglasses on, and tinting only helps to a certain degree. I wish that companies would make convertibles with a shade. They come on buckets, so it shouldn't be a safety issue to put them on convertibles, right?? Just frustrated with a screaming baby in the backseat with sun in her eyes :(
What about sunglasses? My DD has always worn sunglasses since she went into a convertible at 7 months.

momof3reading

Tinted windows. I think $160 ish depending on car and darkness level. I'm in FL and my Nissan sentra and my Town and Country are both dark tinted and its really fabulous. I highly recommend it.

krystin_21a

When I in Thailand I had an Australian friend whose daughter was using an Australian convertible seat that had a shade. The seat reminded me so much of a Britax because of the cover, but I can't for the life of me remember what brand it was. It was not an aftermarket shade, it was actually part of the seat.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have the Sunshine Kids sunshade for the Radian, but it is useless RF. :(

I also tried the Protect-a-Bub with various convertible seats. That too was a no-go. :(

YinzerMama

Tinted windows. I think $160 ish depending on car and darkness level. I'm in FL and my Nissan sentra and my Town and Country are both dark tinted and its really fabulous. I highly recommend it.

Is that for the whole car or per window?? I'd love to get my ody tinted a little darker...

xursusmaritimusx

i've had this on my windows for 2 years now and it works great
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Diono-40100-Cool-Shade-Black/dp/B005O6FZ3M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380600883&sr=8-1&keywords=diono+window+shade"]Amazon.com: Diono Cool Shade, Black: Baby[/ame]

blocks the sun, safe to use, and actually stays on the glass year round. hot or cold.

finn

When I in Thailand I had an Australian friend whose daughter was using an Australian convertible seat that had a shade. The seat reminded me so much of a Britax because of the cover, but I can't for the life of me remember what brand it was. It was not an aftermarket shade, it was actually part of the seat.

It would have been a Safe and Sound, which is the Australian branch of Britax. I found the shade handy ff but not rf.

We used these when dd was little, it was great as she couldn't pull them off :)

http://www.babyfactory.co.nz/afawcs...to-car-window-sun-shade-curved-twin-pack.html

momof3reading

Is that for the whole car or per window?? I'd love to get my ody tinted a little darker...

I paid $160 for the whole car. Best $ spent. It's so hot and sunny here and this improves all riders and the drivers quality of life. I hope it's affordable where you live.

Some people have concerns about tinting affecting your ability to see at night. I do not have a problem seeing at night.

MotoMommaNH

I paid $160 for the whole car. Best $ spent. It's so hot and sunny here and this improves all riders and the drivers quality of life. I hope it's affordable where you live.

Some people have concerns about tinting affecting your ability to see at night. I do not have a problem seeing at night.

Be careful with tinting as some states (especially up North) have laws dictating his dark you can go.

YinzerMama

Be careful with tinting as some states (especially up North) have laws dictating his dark you can go.

There are definitely laws. I haven't pinned down what PAs are yet, I haven't looked into it extensively. I know the ody is not as dark as my sienna was so I just want it a touch darker.

Last edited:

BMWBig6

This is another alternative to window tinting. They have many custom-designed applications for different vehicles.

w_sonnenblende_bmw_1.jpg

YinzerMama

https://www.lasershadesusa.com/

Looked into these because the 3rd row window of our ody didn't have pull up shades but the middle row did - but you have to buy for the whole car can't just get the 3rd row and they are crazy expensive esp. if tinting the windows is under 200. We ended up installing roll up ones ourselves. I'm a little skeptical of anything that attaches to the window since even if it works wonderfully I can see a little kid who doesn't know better pulling it off - and then complaining that it is no longer there.

But they are an option.

Gidgetc13

We tinted the back windows of our Nissan Altima for $150 (so the rear windshield and the two windows on each side). DH had them put a limo tint on, so it is super dark. Like you can't see in our back windows unless you put your face up to the window, lol. I like that people can't see in the car at all, although it used to bum me out a little that no one could see that I was ERF my babies. My oldest absolutely loves it. She has very sensitive eyes and the sun could be shining directly in the back window and it didn't bother her when she was still RF. It also keeps it nice and cool back there. When she was still RF she used to complain when she had to ride in DH's car which didn't have tinted windows at all. Even after we replaced DH's car with our Forester, which has a little tint to the windows, she said that the Altima's windows were much better. DH wants to tint the Forester's windows more, but I don't want to spend the money on that right now because we have baby #3 on the way. It is definitely a great way to keep the kiddos shaded from the sun. I do find it hard to see out the back of the Altima at night though. Really is it only an issue when I'm trying to back up into our driveway at night, I can't see anything! Driving normally I can see fine out the back window at night.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC