Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CPS Fanatic

Hard Floor Vacuum: Anything good, compact, and affordable?

It would be really nice to have a simple, compact hard floor vacuum to store in the small kitchen closet to vacuum those zillion crumbs my kids drop everyday. Sweeping doesn't work that well. But I'm wondering if there's anything I'd be happy with without paying too much. I am so very spoiled with my Dyson with its amazing suction, no touch easy empty canister, and HEPA filtration, but I don't want to wreck it with this nasty job. I really want the compact Dyson, but can't justify the cost. Is there anything for $100 or less that would work for this purpose, stores in a small space, and isn't nasty to empty? I know, I'm very particular. Thanks for your help!!!

ETA: Or maybe I really want an IRobot to clean it on it's own. That would be awesome, but again a lot of money and I have no idea how well they work. So let's get real (telling self)!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician xursusmaritimusx's Avatar

Re: Hard Floor Vacuum: Anything good, compact, and affordable?

this is a newer version of the one i have
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/BISSELL-PowerEdge-Floor-Vacuum-81L2T/dp/B00450U7V8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380560661&sr=8-2&keywords=bissel+stick+vac"]Amazon.com - BISSELL PowerEdge Pet Hard Floor Vacuum, 81L2T[/ame]

and its amazing. ive used it almost every single day for the past 1.5 years around my house. i have laminate and tile floors everywhere so they get dirty fast with the kids. LOOOVE it. it even works on low pile carpet/rugs

4. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

We have had this one for 18 months and its decent enough:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Electrolux-Ergorapido-Cordless-Handheld-EL1014A/dp/B002IAY3N0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1380561234&sr=8-4&keywords=electrolux+vacuum"]Amazon.com - Electrolux Ergorapido Bagless Cordless Handheld/Stick Vacuum Cleaner, EL1014A[/ame]

DH bought it at BBB with a 20% off coupon and paid about the same as it is on Amazon right now. I'm pretty sure they have come out with an updated version, hence the lower price on this model.

6. Thank You from:

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by xursusmaritimusx View Post
    this is a newer version of the one i have
    Amazon.com - BISSELL PowerEdge Pet Hard Floor Vacuum, 81L2T

and its amazing. ive used it almost every single day for the past 1.5 years around my house. i have laminate and tile floors everywhere so they get dirty fast with the kids. LOOOVE it. it even works on low pile carpet/rugs
    That looks very promising! I love the idea, but I'm wondering how much more space the V takes? I'll have to measure that tiny closet space because it's really tiny. Is it really an easy empty dirt cup, like they say? Thank you!!!

ETA: Does this cup emptying require touching the dirt? On the Dyson, you pull on the outside and it pops open, emptying out without touching any of it. I know, I'm probably expecting too much, but a gal can hope.

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jordansmom View Post
    We have had this one for 18 months and its decent enough:
    Amazon.com - Electrolux Ergorapido Bagless Cordless Handheld/Stick Vacuum Cleaner, EL1014A

DH bought it at BBB with a 20% off coupon and paid about the same as it is on Amazon right now. I'm pretty sure they have come out with an updated version, hence the lower price on this model.
    I have to admit I love the cool, modern look of this, but how does it do with chunks of food? "No touch dust cup" = awesome! Watching video now!

ETA: Cool video, but that isn't no touch emptying and I might be better off without a brush inside. Does the charging stand have a cord long enough to reach an outlet? Still, looks so cool and I like that it converts into a handheld.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    I have to admit I love the cool, modern look of this, but how does it do with chunks of food? "No touch dust cup" = awesome! Watching video now!
    Picks up Cheerios no problem! I'm pretty sure the newer version is a bit stronger too so it might do even better with chunks! Ill see if I can google it for you!

ETA..I'm not finding anything! Sorry! My bf and I had the same one and she replaced hers after two years of really really hard use...she bought the same one again but I could have sworn she said the newer one had a bigger motor/more power.

10. Thank You from:

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jordansmom View Post
    Picks up Cheerios no problem! I'm pretty sure the newer version is a bit stronger too so it might do even better with chunks! Ill see if I can google it for you!

ETA..I'm not finding anything! Sorry! My bf and I had the same one and she replaced hers after two years of really really hard use...she bought the same one again but I could have sworn she said the newer one had a bigger motor/more power.
    If it picks up Cheerios, that's perfect!

Carseat Crazy

ETA: Cool video, but that isn't no touch emptying and I might be better off without a brush inside. Does the charging stand have a cord long enough to reach an outlet? Still, looks so cool and I like that it converts into a handheld.
    Definitely have to touch it to empty it, but I just went and emptied mine and my hands didn't have to touch the dirty parts if that makes sense. I held the cord above my head totally stretched out and am guessing it is 6.5 feet.

Carseat Crazy

It's not perfect, but it gets the job done for us especially under the table and in the kitchen. I don't have to lug out the big vacuum and can run this at the end of the day. I would say it doesn't seem as powerful as when we first go it, but for only paying $80ish and using it pretty regularly for 18 months, I'm okay if I have to replace it in the next year.

ETa...I just found a link that might tell you more! http://www.electroluxappliances.com/...cuum-Cleaners/

And here is a quick slideshow on stick/handheld vacuums and some faves:
    http://www.realsimple.com/home-organ...847/index.html

14. Thank You from:

CPS Fanatic

I'll take a look at those links. Thanks!

I think I put this thread in the wrong subforum. Sorry.

Senior Community Member sirrahn's Avatar

I had a Roomba for a number of years. They do work quite well....when they work . My first one had lots of warranty replacements and I finally upgraded to a newer model. That one was good for almost 3 years, but then it wouldn't charge and a new very expensive battery didn't fix it. There's also a lot of maintenance if you have pets because their hair gets sucked onto the ends of the brushes way too easily. Overall, I loved having it, but when I figured out the cost per year, it really was too much, and I haven't gotten another one.

We recently ripped out all of our carpet and now have hard floors in our entire house. I posted this thread a while ago and got some good ideas although I was more looking for something full size at the time.

I actually ended up picking up one of these about a month ago because my Swiffer vac isn't charging well anymore. I've been very impressed with it for basically being a dustbuster with a long handle. Can't beat the price either!

Because it isn't rechargeable, it's stays powerful. I've actually been using it in my whole house and have been quite happy with how well it picks up. The cord is kind of short, but it's very easy to empty. I do have to pull out the filter, but I only touch the clean side and then I just shake the filter and dump the container into the trash.

I may eventually get a nice canister vacuum, but for now, the little vac and the dustmop for in between is working quite well.
    Mom to DS-22 driving a 2011 Honda CR-Z, DS-19 driving a 2010 Toyota Prius, DD-16 driving a 2017 Toyota Yaris iA, and DD-14 riding in a 2018 Mazda CX-9 & 2018 Mazda CX-3

17. Thank You from:

There's a dyson DustBuster. I don't remember the model number but I was very tempted to get it last year. Its around 150 I think.
    Mom to Caterina born January 12, 2009 and FF in a TWE and Julian born September 6, 2012 and RF in a Varioguard

19. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkDOC View Post
    There's a dyson DustBuster. I don't remember the model number but I was very tempted to get it last year. Its around 150 I think.
    Saw a new commercial for a dyson hard.

21. Thank You from:

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by sirrahn View Post
    I actually ended up picking up one of these about a month ago because my Swiffer vac isn't charging well anymore. I've been very impressed with it for basically being a dustbuster with a long handle. Can't beat the price either!
    Wow, that is a great price! Does it pick up chunks of food, like cheerios? Thanks for sharing your experience with the Roomba. I love the idea, but really can't justify the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkDOC View Post
    Yeah, that one retails for $200, so maybe $150 on sale? However, it doesn't extend, so it'd kill my back having to bend over to vacuum the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by mamom View Post
    Saw a new commercial for a dyson hard.
    It costs as much as the smaller digital slim.

CPS Technician xursusmaritimusx's Avatar

That looks very promising! I love the idea, but I'm wondering how much more space the V takes? I'll have to measure that tiny closet space because it's really tiny. Is it really an easy empty dirt cup, like they say? Thank you!!!

ETA: Does this cup emptying require touching the dirt? On the Dyson, you pull on the outside and it pops open, emptying out without touching any of it. I know, I'm probably expecting too much, but a gal can hope.
    mine is pretty compact. really not much more space than a broom takes. i keep mine in my coat closet.

the cup is easy to empty. you dont have to touch anything to empty it. the only thing you have to touch is when you clean the filter and all that. yeah you have to touch that i but i think you do on any bagless vacuum.
    with this one you squeeze the release and the collection cup comes out and you just dump it.

24. Thank You from:

Wow, that is a great price! Does it pick up chunks of food, like cheerios? Thanks for sharing your experience with the Roomba. I love the idea, but really can't justify the cost......
    It does! I've actually sucked up several things unintentionally thinking they would be too big. I never intended to use it for anything but quick pick ups, but I was really pleasantly surprised.
    Mom to DS-22 driving a 2011 Honda CR-Z, DS-19 driving a 2010 Toyota Prius, DD-16 driving a 2017 Toyota Yaris iA, and DD-14 riding in a 2018 Mazda CX-9 & 2018 Mazda CX-3

26. Thank You from:

That Bissel 3-in-1 is actually pretty decent. We had one for 5 years. It was mine in college and I just carried it into marriage. We used to use it around the whole house. Definitely does pick up Cheerios and other chunks well. If you wait, they're almost always $10 on Black Friday. we bought them two years ago to keep in each classroom suite at mdo. It keeps classrooms clean during the day after snack and lunch and crafts.
    Rachel - CPST-I and Mommy to:
    Tripp - 12/22/07 48" and 45# FF FR85
    Aubrey - 11/20/09 38" and 33# ERF in an XTSL
    Bella- 7/13/11 33.5" 24#- XTSL and MySize70

28. Thank You from:

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by trippsmom View Post
    If you wait, they're almost always $10 on Black Friday.
    Wow! I can wait to pay only $10! Is that deal usually at Walmart?

Sounds like I have a few options to look at. Thanks, everyone!!!

Wow! I can wait to pay only $10! Is that deal usually at Walmart?

Sounds like I have a few options to look at. Thanks, everyone!!!
    Yep. Walmart special. We bought 5 of them and they have been worth every penny. Teachers have never complained about them. The teachers have gotten more adventurous in the sensory tubs because they know how easy cleanup is going to be.
    Rachel - CPST-I and Mommy to:
    Tripp - 12/22/07 48" and 45# FF FR85
    Aubrey - 11/20/09 38" and 33# ERF in an XTSL
    Bella- 7/13/11 33.5" 24#- XTSL and MySize70

31. Thank You from:

FWIW, I just got an email from Walmart that says the color versions of the Bissel 3 in 1 are on sale for $14.88. If you like orange, teal or purple,that's a good deal with no wait!

Link

33. Thank You from: