Foonf or Peg if Foonf cheaper?

Hazelandlucy

The Foonf in the color I want is now cheaper than the Peg. Both seats should get me to 4 RF. Which would you get? I have always thought the Foonf was a bit overpriced and I would not ever use the 50 lb weight limit so it was just too much seat. But now it's cheaper ($297) than the Peg ($329) so maybe it's worth it at that price?

I have been toying with using a seat from Sweden that passed the Plus Test - how much stock do you put in that test vs the testing Canada and America do? Would the Foonf or Peg probably pass in RF mode?

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I like the ARB on the Foonf, and while the Canadian Peg does have that the US one does not. So that sways it for me right there. Also once forward-facing I like the Foonf's low profile and the REACT technology for energy management. That PLUS it's cheaper? Yeah, Foonf for me all the way! Assuming of course it installs in your vehicle and it's suitable for your child. :)

Hazelandlucy

I like the ARB on the Foonf, and while the Canadian Peg does have that the US one does not. So that sways it for me right there. Also once forward-facing I like the Foonf's low profile and the REACT technology for energy management. That PLUS it's cheaper? Yeah, Foonf for me all the way! Assuming of course it installs in your vehicle and it's suitable for your child. :)

Do you think the rebound bar works better than the Peg's tether? The Foonf installed pretty well, but I have a really hard time figuring out how to read the recline line! Does it look ok in this picture? Also, is it normal to dig into the car's seat like it's doing at by the edge? It left a pretty deep impression even just being installed for 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Pixelated

I do prefer an anti-rebound bar rather than a RF tether. There are too many unknown variables with a RF tether for my comfort level (I don't RF tether my own seats) and if rebound management is a priority then I would steer you to seats with an ARB. Others won't agree with me but that's why this board is so great, many varying and informed opinions to help you figure out what works for you!

As for the recline I'm not sure - I can't remember well enough what that recline sticker says to make a guess but just looking at the seat it doesn't alarm me. I'll ask the Clek rep to pop in and answer.

Persimmon

I am not a tech but prefer a car seat with rebound management, especially for RF older toddlers. Like Pixelated, I am not completely sold on tethers so I have Foonfs. As far as the angle, this from Clek might be helpful. It talks about using an app on your phone to read the angle:

How do I know if my seat is at the proper recline angle when installed?http://clekinc.com/support/documents/clekus000063/

Yeah, my rigid LATCH digs into my seat. I have cloth seats but mine fills back in once the Foonf is out for a while.

_juune

Well, I'm in Europe and seats and cars are different here, therefore take my opinion with a grain of salt, but ever since I saw a RF dummy hit it's head on the C pillar in a EuroNCAP crash test video, I'm all for RF [Swedish] tethers; the seat that the crash test was performed with had an ARB only [rigid isofix+support leg installation]. [Test result, video.] For what I know our RF seats are tested in a 30 km/h rear impact for R44/04 certification testing.

Persimmon

Well, I'm in Europe and seats and cars are different here, therefore take my opinion with a grain of salt, but ever since I saw a RF dummy hit it's head on the C pillar in a EuroNCAP crash test video, I'm all for RF [Swedish] tethers; the seat that the crash test was performed with had an ARB only [rigid isofix+support leg installation]. [Test result, video.] For what I know our RF seats are tested in a 30 km/h rear impact for R44/04 certification testing.

Oh, the Swedish tethering system in European seats is a whole different story in my book!

Last edited:

_juune

Oh, the Swedish tethering system is a whole different story in my book!
I thought the kind of tethering that goes from the back of a RF seat to somewhere on the cars floor is Swedish tethering, regardless of the count of the straps? Vs. Australian, where the tether goes over the RF seat to the top tether anchor? :eek:

soontobe3

The Foonf in the color I want is now cheaper than the Peg. Both seats should get me to 4 RF. Which would you get? I have always thought the Foonf was a bit overpriced and I would not ever use the 50 lb weight limit so it was just too much seat. But now it's cheaper ($297) than the Peg ($329) so maybe it's worth it at that price?

I have been toying with using a seat from Sweden that passed the Plus Test - how much stock do you put in that test vs the testing Canada and America do? Would the Foonf or Peg probably pass in RF mode?

Where are the flamingo ones $297, I'm still seeing $399 everywhere?

Hazelandlucy

Where are the flamingo ones $297, I'm still seeing $399 everywhere?

http://www.jr.com/clek/pe/CEK_FO12U1PKB/

I actually bought the last one last night! There is a Paul Frank one for $297 ($17 shipping). But, I am debating whether to cancel my order and if I do I can send you a PM so you can call and get it!

I read the reviews on Amazon and they are so much better for the Peg and I also think it would be easier to fly with. But, I feel like maybe the Foonf is safer with the steel/magnesium frame. Does it bother anyone how low the sides are? I have an Advocate so am used to major SIP that I can see!

Other option is the Britax Maxway, I know it's not legal, but hearing how poorly american seats performed in the Plus Test it's hard to resist, especially since I have someone who can bring it over for me free.

For an over-researcher like me, there are just too many choices and not enough real crash test info! I wish we had a super strict test and could see the results.

Are there any real life stories out there - like "I crashed head on going 65 mph on the highway with my Foonf and child was fine!?"

Stelvis

I actually bought the last one last night! There is a Paul Frank one for $297 ($17 shipping). But, I am debating whether to cancel my order and if I do I can send you a PM so you can call and get it!

I read the reviews on Amazon and they are so much better for the Peg and I also think it would be easier to fly with. But, I feel like maybe the Foonf is safer with the steel/magnesium frame. Does it bother anyone how low the sides are? I have an Advocate so am used to major SIP that I can see!

Other option is the Britax Maxway, I know it's not legal, but hearing how poorly american seats performed in the Plus Test it's hard to resist, especially since I have someone who can bring it over for me free.

For an over-researcher like me, there are just too many choices and not enough real crash test info! I wish we had a super strict test and could see the results.

Are there any real life stories out there - like "I crashed head on going 65 mph on the highway with my Foonf and child was fine!?"

There aren't that many Foonfs out there, and there aren't that many catastrophic crashes involving properly retrained children, statistically, so I'd be surprised if there were a lot of those types of stories, yet.

I wouldn't bother reading Amazon reviews. Keep in mind 90% of those people are using their seats wrong.

If flying is a factor, there is no way I'd ever fly with a Foonf. It is so heavy. I'd buy a Sureride just for flying. You wouldn't be allowed to fly with a European seat anyway, it wouldn't have an FAA approved sticker.

Clek CPST

The sides of the Foonf are deeper than the Britax sides speaking in terms of depth/torso containment. (I've measured them.) The Foonf has 3 layers of EPP foam for side impact protection/energy absorption, so while it's narrower and not outwardly visible, there is a lot in there in combination with the steel and magnesium frame.

The angle is definitely within the acceptable range, and the rigid LATCH can press the vehicle seat in some vehicles - it depends on the slope of the vehicle seats. Making sure that the rigid LATCH is stored all the way will reduce the amount but in some vehicles it does press in the way it is in your picture.

soontobe3

Thank you! I actually have both a Peg and a Foonf already. I actually prefer the Peg, it is a lot comfier for the child (very cushiony), it is lighter and just as easy to install. The Foonf is sooooo heavy, I'd never take it out of the car it's in let alone fly with it. The only reason I have it is I have three children and our second car is a Civic. Both my younger kids ride RF in a Honda Odyssey in Pegs 90% of the time. The Peg is still a heavy, substantial seat and I think my DDs are plenty safe in them.

Hazelandlucy

Thank you! I actually have both a Peg and a Foonf already. I actually prefer the Peg, it is a lot comfier for the child (very cushiony), it is lighter and just as easy to install. The Foonf is sooooo heavy, I'd never take it out of the car it's in let alone fly with it. The only reason I have it is I have three children and our second car is a Civic. Both my younger kids ride RF in a Honda Odyssey in Pegs 90% of the time. The Peg is still a heavy, substantial seat and I think my DDs are plenty safe in them.

Do you find any head slump with the Foonf? Do your kids prefer the padding on the Peg as well? How does leg room and room left to grow height wise compare? Also, do the Peg straps dig into your DD's neck at all? I tried one without strap covers and it really dug into the neck, but maybe the harness was not at the right height.

Thank you so much!!

Clek CPST

There was a tech who crashed with her older rf'ing child in a Foonf. I think their crash was in the neighborhood of 35mph (a 65mph head on collision would be unsurvivable in many cases, so it's unlikely to find that kind of extreme speed collision - crash tests for car seats have to be done at 30mph although Clek does test the foonf at the NCAP crash pulse.)

The minivan had over 10K worth of damage and was written off. The child in the Foonf had no injuries. The ARB quite likely saved the boostered child from injury because it was a two impact collision - frontal offset, then side impact on the rear of the driver side. The parent is a tech, I'm not sure if she posted pictures of her crash on here or not, but the pictures are impressive. If she's around I'll leave the rest of her story for her to tell. She has quite freely shared her pictures and story in other places. She disassembled her seats after the crash and took pictures of the damage to them - which is to be expected in a crash like she was in and really speaks to the force that was involved.

I've read a few stories on our facebook page but none of them have had the level of details as what this tech supplied. So there are some stories out there, but in general they aren't easy to find.

Hazelandlucy

There was a tech who crashed with her older rf'ing child in a Foonf. I think their crash was in the neighborhood of 35mph (a 65mph head on collision would be unsurvivable in many cases, so it's unlikely to find that kind of extreme speed collision - crash tests for car seats have to be done at 30mph although Clek does test the foonf at the NCAP crash pulse.)

The minivan had over 10K worth of damage and was written off. The child in the Foonf had no injuries. The ARB quite likely saved the boostered child from injury because it was a two impact collision - frontal offset, then side impact on the rear of the driver side. The parent is a tech, I'm not sure if she posted pictures of her crash on here or not, but the pictures are impressive. If she's around I'll leave the rest of her story for her to tell. She has quite freely shared her pictures and story in other places. She disassembled her seats after the crash and took pictures of the damage to them - which is to be expected in a crash like she was in and really speaks to the force that was involved.

I've read a few stories on our facebook page but none of them have had the level of details as what this tech supplied. So there are some stories out there, but in general they aren't easy to find.

Thanks! What is NCAP crash pulse? Is that a stricter test than what the U.S. has?

snowbird25ca

Thanks! What is NCAP crash pulse? Is that a stricter test than what the U.S. has?

NCAP is higher speed than what FMVSS (or CMVSS if you're in Canada) requires - the test procedure has a different rate of acceleration and a higher top speed. It's a tougher test to pass because of the increased forces involved.

Hazelandlucy

NCAP is higher speed than what FMVSS (or CMVSS if you're in Canada) requires - the test procedure has a different rate of acceleration and a higher top speed. It's a tougher test to pass because of the increased forces involved.

Thank you! Are there any other seats that have taken/passed this test?

Kel

As far as the britax safty thing. I know you were talking about shell DEAPTH, but have you ever felt the britax head wings? They break off sooo easily!! I was shocked when my then 2 yr old barley pulled on it and it broke.

What are the Foonf wings linked? Anyone know? My RXT wings are so sturdy, my toddlers climb all over them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC