Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Chicco Nextfit Chest Clip

The nextfit chest clip has two positions -- rear-facing and forward-facing. My understanding is that the purpose of the chest clip is to properly position the straps on the chest so that they are in the right place when a crash happens.

Is the proper placement for the chest clip really DIFFERENT if you are rear- vs forward-facing? Wouldn't the proper placement depend more on the size of the kid? In which case, are the straps really supposed to be in different positions for a 3-year-old who is rear-facing than that same three-year-old who is forward-facing?

On a scale if 1-10, how bad of a mom would I be if I put a rear-facing kid in the seat with the chest clip in the forward-facing position? Is there an age when it would become okay, or is there really a safety difference between rear- and forward-facing strap position?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy
    Chicco has stated to only use rf position when rf regardless of child size and age. It hasn't passed testing to be used otherwise. I wouldn't risk it!

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Re: Chicco Nextfit Chest Clip

I would suggest calling Chicco and telling them of your concerns, in the mean time, the seat needs to be used according to directions.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

I have contacted Chicco and hope to hear back soon. In the meantime, I wanted to reassure everyone that I am not actually using a nextfit at the moment, so I'm not misusing it. My question was more from a technical standpoint -- why is it that the straps need to be in a different position for the same kid depending on the orientation of the seat? Everything I read seems to say that this feature is so that the seat "grows with your child," but then it's based on parent choice (to turn forward-facing or not) instead of size of kid.

Oh, and the last question "how bad a mom would I be..." wasn't to suggest that I am planning to do that no matter what Chicco says. It was more because I am interested in knowing how serious of a misuse the strap positioning is. I am particularly confused by chest clips because there's so much variability to them. I was at Target and the distance that the chest clips placed between the straps varied a LOT. And European car seats don't even have them! So now I am wondering what the difference is between rear- and forward strap position because no other car seat manufacturers seem to see a need for a difference and I am unsure of how heavily to weight this feature when buying a CRS.