Question 2013 hyundai santa fe (in Australia)

U

Unregistered

Hi all, Is it possible to install a rear ward facing seat for a new born and a forward facing seat for a 1yr old in the middle row and be able to access the 6th and 7th seats in a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
regards
Dominic

ADS

BrookysMommy

Is there a reason that you plan on forward facing the one year old?
Rear-facing is now recommended until atleast 2 or until the limits of the seat is met.
Im sure someone will come along with some links as I'm mobile and haven't figured that out yet.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Re: 2013 hyundai santa fe

Hi all, Is it possible to install a rear ward facing seat for a new born and a forward facing seat for a 1yr old in the middle row and be able to access the 6th and 7th seats in a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
regards
Dominic

Hi Dominic! Welcome! :) I'm not familiar with the Santa Fe, so I wanted to give your thread a bump until someone with more info comes along. As more people read your thread, it would be helpful if you could share the car seats you are using and how much your 1 year old weighs. I'm hope someone will be along with more info on why it's the current recommendation for 1 year olds to be rear-facing still, but for now, I'll share this minute long video that helps explain the issue well:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U"]Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car - YouTube[/ame]

U

Unregistered

Hi thanks for the replys, extremely valuable information. thank you. In that case it would have to be 2 rear ward facing seats. Just to elaborate on the situation . I would like to purchase a Hyundai Santa Fe 2013. I have 3 children with another on the way, the children are aged 11yrs, 9yrs and 9 months and in April 2014 I will have a newborn. I live in Australia and the law does not allow you to put baby seats in the third row. So that leaves me the second row to install the 2 rearward facing seats and still have the ability to access the third row which is done by sliding and tilting a seat in the second row. I currently think that the Hyundai Santa Fe can not have 2 rear ward facing seats of any type in the second row and allow normal access to the third row. I was hoping that someone can prove me wrong and let me know which seats I can buy to achieve this set up as I would really like to purchase the Santa Fe.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador

I hope someone with knowledge about Australia will be able to help soon, so I wanted to bump your thread. Thanks for providing your info; I bet it will help with recommendations from the posters here. :)

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
We drive a Kia Rondo, which I think is a bit narrower yet than the Santa Fe, but I think you're right in thinking you'll be hard pressed to have two seats side-by-side and still operate the sliding seat. Even in my parents' super-sized Suburban it's a squeeze (but possible.)

On the odd occasion I've had 2 seats next to each other in our Rondo, my 7yo loads through the hatch. We haven't found it terribly inconvenient, so it might be a solution for you to consider. :)

canadiangie

Someone on cso just bought the new SanteFe. I know they posted about it in the Car Safety subforum. Off to go look..

edit to add: I think, based on one particular post, it might be the member named Mingie who just bought one. But it sounds like she went with 2nd row captains chairs. Which would be a viable option for Dominic, if the 1 year is staying forward facing, which is the norm in countries like Australia where babies can forward face legally at 9 months, and extended rear facing seats are not easily found.

Dominic - are you considering keeping your 1 year old rear facing? Do you have a seat that can accommodate that? I'm thinking if you go with a 2nd row bench your best bet for 3rd row access is to have a Diono Radian in the 2nd row middle seat, and in that case, the 1 year could rear face for years to come (and later forward face in it because it converts from rear facing to forward facing).

Maybe post back with where you're at regarding rear facing.. :)

Mingie

CPST Instructor
Yep that was me. I didn't want to deal with flipping a seat with an infant seat plus a ffing seat so we bought the 6 seater. So captains chairs in the second row.

I'm going to the dealer this week to pick up winter mats so I'll take a peek in the back seat to see what I think. Although I'm not familiar with your seats. Do you have the radian available to you?

U

Unregistered

Thank you all for your replies. Currently in Australia we do not have the Captains chair option for the Hyundai Santa Fe. We also do not have the Diono baby seat available. I have emailed Diono if they have any intentions of selling the seats in Australia. I think my best bet would be to add the Diono in the middle of the second row if it was available, currently do not think we have anything in Australia with such narrow dimensions.
Thank you again will let you know when I get a reply from Diono.
regards
Dominic

U

Unregistered

Hi Dominic,

I'm from Australia and i'm met with the same situation you are in 2 years ago with the Hyundai Santa Fe.

We need to accommodate 2 child seats in the middle row and still flip down the single seat to access the 3rd row.

I'm wondering what did you end up going for?

Gordon

Adventuredad

The Australian car seat approach is horribly confusing and poor. No front seat use and no third row use. There is absolutely no issues with kids in the third row except perhaps for space. Front passenger seat is as safe or safer than any other position as long as airbag is turned off.

And then the FF usage...... Forward facing at age six months is actually standard in Australia. There are no rear facing seat with a weight limit higher than 25 lbs. Parents are very frustrated since there are no rear facing seats. We receive tons of emails from Australia and ship lots of seats down there.

Installing two seats next to each other can be done but it depends on the seats. Regardless of car it's still a tight squeeze. Even in a fairly large Volvo XC90 it can be difficult. It's also not practical.

Over here in Sweden we would use Kiss 2 or Klippan Triofix in these situations. These seats are only 41-42 cm wide which is 4-5 centimeters less than most other seats. Doesn't sound like much but it makes a difference.

Climbing in through the rear is unfortunately the only Santa Fe option as I see it.

Niniel

The Australian car seat approach is horribly confusing and poor. No front seat use and no third row use. There is absolutely no issues with kids in the third row except perhaps for space. Front passenger seat is as safe or safer than any other position as long as airbag is turned off.

And then the FF usage...... Forward facing at age six months is actually standard in Australia. There are no rear facing seat with a weight limit higher than 25 lbs. Parents are very frustrated since there are no rear facing seats. We receive tons of emails from Australia and ship lots of seats down there.

I'm not a fan of Australian seats at all, but they've actually improved after the 2011 standard :)

Car seats aren't allowed on the front or 3rd row in Australia because there's no anchor points there, and all aus seats must be tethered to the back at all times(except for a few boosters).

Also, Australian seats are now based on shoulder height, not weight. Currently, the highest RF height marker is 39 cm. FF at 6 months is still standard though, which is terrible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC