Britax Maxway or Dualfix?

Hazelandlucy

I could easily have one brought over in October. It seems to combine everything I am looking for, but would it work in my car? (2012 BMW x3). Am I ever going to get stopped and have an officer say "is that a foreign Britax?"

It passes the Swedish Plus test and is light and compact, but can get a child to 6 yrs RF. 55 lb RF weight limit.

Would you do it?

http://www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/car-seats/max-way

The convertible version (40lbs) is the Dualfix (4 inch higher shell than the Advocate)

http://www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/car-seats/dualfix

I love how you can turn the seat sideways to load at the press of a button!

Last edited:
ADS

Hazelandlucy

Is it illegal because of not fitting correctly with latch or seat belts in America?

I truly am a law abiding citizen, but just have a hard time feeling guilty over using a seat that allows me to rear face as long as I want and is easy to use, light, compact, etc. We also go to the UK 3-4 times a year so it would be legal sometimes!

But I don't want to do anything unsafe or risky.

I don't know that I would rear face until 6 or 55 lbs, but I would love to have a seat that I knew would get me to 4 that was not a huge monster like the Foonf and that passed such strict tests. The Maxway is only 15 lbs as well!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It's illegal because it hasn't passed the NHTSA crash tests.

It's not high on my list of terrible things that people do, but I wouldn't be comfortable with it.

Hazelandlucy

It's illegal because it hasn't passed the NHTSA crash tests.

It's not high on my list of terrible things that people do, but I wouldn't be comfortable with it.

I thought the plus test was the most stringent - so even though the seat wasn't put through the NHTSA test, wouldn't it be likely to pass? Are the American made latches/seatbelts different to how it was tested in Sweden? I don't want to bring it over if I am changing everything from how the seat was tested.

I appreciate your opinion so much, thanks a lot! I totally understand your point about it being illegal and I am just trying to figure out if it's just "red tape" or serious safety concerns.

creideamh

Our test sled doesn't have a floor. Swedish seats rely on foot props/load legs and typically RF tethers as well, thus, impossible to certify in North America.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I appreciate your opinion so much, thanks a lot! I totally understand your point about it being illegal and I am just trying to figure out if it's just "red tape" or serious safety concerns.

I think the biggest safety concern is potential misuse, if you cannot read the user manual. I think the seat itself is just fine.

Hazelandlucy

Our test sled doesn't have a floor. Swedish seats rely on foot props/load legs and typically RF tethers as well, thus, impossible to certify in North America.

But since I would be using it with the foot prop (I can do that, right?), wouldn't it be safe to assume that it 's safe since it passed the plus test that way?

Sorry to keep pestering!

creideamh

You have to use the foot prop, if it comes with one (the TWE doesn't and requires bracing to counteract downward rotation.)

I concur with PP. A big issue is misuse; they are very different seats than here.

Hazelandlucy

You have to use the foot prop, if it comes with one (the TWE doesn't and requires bracing to counteract downward rotation.)

I concur with PP. A big issue is misuse; they are very different seats than here.

That does worry me. I would have someone with the seat from the UK helping me, but who knows if she does everything right - I know carseat installation is often done wrong. But maybe between studying the manual, online videos, and her familiarity I would get it right. Lots to think about!

Is that Plus Test really any harder than US tests? That is now what is driving me as I figured out you can't fly with the Max-Way so the lightness and compactness is not so important.

creideamh

It's regarded as the strictest test in the world. You might want to contact Adventuredad on here or the people on the UK FB page, Rear facing: the way forward. They should be able to talk you through the pros and cons of seats and whether or not importing would end up being worth it to you. Remember that rear-facing in and of itself is very safe, so using an unfamiliar, illegal seat tends not to be in the best interest of most people.

Hazelandlucy

I have looked into the seats more and it looks like the Max Fix is very simple to install with it's rigid latch and no tethers. The Max Way installation looked complicated with two locking clips, two tethers, etc. But I wish the seats had the option to use either the seat belt or latch in case one doesn't work well in my car.

DogznKatz

Hmm.. Generally, US cars have lower anchor limits, so you would need to be able to use a seat belt after 40, 48 or 65 pounds....

Hazelandlucy

Actually the Max Fix only goes to 40 lbs and is RF only. It's really light so latch weights shouldn't matter. But that does leave me with having to booster at 4. Is a high back with 5 point harness as safe as a convertible?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Yes, a forward-facing combination seat used with the harness is just as safe as a forward-facing convertible. But there are plenty of US seats that harness to 40# RFing. There's no need to import one.

creideamh

There are only a handful of Euro seats that harness past 40lb anyway (though more Swedish seats that RF to 55lb.) We definitely do combo/FF harnessed seats better, IMO!

Hazelandlucy

Yes, a forward-facing combination seat used with the harness is just as safe as a forward-facing convertible. But there are plenty of US seats that harness to 40# RFing. There's no need to import one.

I guess that Plus Test is what does it for me. Do you think our seats would pass in RF mode?

finn

I guess that Plus Test is what does it for me. Do you think our seats would pass in RF mode?

Probably not, I think there are only 5 (or some small number of seats) in the world that pass, there are some Swedish seats that don't pass.

I have 2 Swedish seats and love them both, they are legal here, but I have 2 illegal American seats which I also love and have no hesitation using ( or importing in the first place).

I wouldn't buy a seat that rf to 40lbs, it seems like a waste of money and effort.

Once you figure it out the Swedish seats are pretty easy to install, I always connect both tethers, take the slack out of them, thread the seat belt, tighten as much as I can, then tighten the tethers as much as I can. Everyday when we get in the car I give the tethers a tug as they loosen slightly as the seat compresses.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC