Question Car Seat Help and Car Help!

U

Unregistered

We are due with #3 in two months, and looking for a new car seat for my 38lb (almost) 5 year old (I'm thinking a harnessed booster) as his current car seat is coming up on expiration.
Also, we will need a new car to fit the three car seats-- it'll be a Graco Snugride (infant base and seat), a Britax Boulevard 70, and whatever the new (most likely Britax Fronteir 90). Right now we have the Hyundai Santa Fe and although we haven't tried if three seats would fit, I think it would be too tight.
I want all three seats in the same row.
Help? Thanks!!
(And-- down the road when new baby comes out of infant carrier and into a convertible, we will need a new one of those!)
(And..... is there anything I can do with an expired car seat? Fully functioning, perfect condition, no accidents or fender benders, etc. Are there any trade-in offers anyone knows of? Do I need to stop using it immediately upon expiration?)

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
We are due with #3 in two months, and looking for a new car seat for my 38lb (almost) 5 year old (I'm thinking a harnessed booster) as his current car seat is coming up on expiration.
Also, we will need a new car to fit the three car seats-- it'll be a Graco Snugride (infant base and seat), a Britax Boulevard 70, and whatever the new (most likely Britax Fronteir 90). Right now we have the Hyundai Santa Fe and although we haven't tried if three seats would fit, I think it would be too tight.
I want all three seats in the same row.
Help? Thanks!!
(And-- down the road when new baby comes out of infant carrier and into a convertible, we will need a new one of those!)
(And..... is there anything I can do with an expired car seat? Fully functioning, perfect condition, no accidents or fender benders, etc. Are there any trade-in offers anyone knows of? Do I need to stop using it immediately upon expiration?)

Congrats!

OK, so you're looking for recommendations on new cars that will fit 3 across? If so, what is the budget?

For sure, whatever car you're considering, do try 3 across with a convertible in place of the infant seat...both rear-facing AND forward-facing and making sure boosters can be buckled at the same time as well.

As for an expired seat, yes, you should stop using immediately upon expiration. Would it fail 1 day after? Likely not. But not a chance I'd want to take. A local tech might want to use it for training, if you know any. The cover might be sellable if it still fits a current model. Babies R Us *does* do a trade in event each year, so you could save it for that. (Even without a cover!)

nannykates

The only reason to keep using a seat after expiration is if the new seat isn't quite to your house(meaning a day or two if the alternative is no seat).

Vehicles that fit most three acrosses

Honda pilot
Honda odyssey (most current body style)
Toyota sienna (previous body style)

There are many more that aren't popping to my head right now. Also, chosing seats that puzzle well you can get three across in most vehicles (even what you already have).

1mommy

I'd like to add that you should check out the 3 across thread for help in determining what car/car seats will fit in a 3 across situation. And that often times you need to install with a seat belt as latch takes up too much room, and that a harness seat will give you more room over a booster because you have to reach down in-between the seats to buckle a booster.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=33226

U

Unregistered

Thank you for the input, and the link to the other thread. It's all an overwhelming process right now, so trying to make the best decisions possible. Our current lease on the Santa Fe is up about 6 months after the baby is due, so hoping we'll be able to either trade for Odyssey or... well, not sure!

Cnidaria

Regarding what to do with an expired seat...

I've heard that Babies R Us isn't doing trade-in events any more. But traded-in items went to the landfill anyway.

In some places you can recycle car seats, sometimes even in your curbside bin! http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=156221 Often covers, straps, foam etc need to be removed. Clek is one car seat manufacturer that will take back seats for recycling (for $20, last I looked). I'm not sure if there are any other mfrs that do.

There's a market for car seat covers on eBay, as a previous poster mentioned.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC