Question Rear facing advice and Other booster questions

vdubpower

Im gonna start this thread with a rearfacing question and advice....i already had most of my prosport vs probooster recaro answers taken care of on another thread

so i plan to rear face my signo for my 14month old, 23lbs
he is currently in a chicco keyfit

when i first got this signo, we had a smaller car, C class sedan and we didnt rear face it...it was too big and positioning just didnt right. It was used for my now almost 6 yr old..

anyways here is a pic of rear facing in a midsize E class sedan....in its reclined position....it still seems so damn big and awkward and a weird way for the kid to sit in

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
This seat is known for being high on a base, having deep sides (the combination of which means you have to play toddler origami to get them in there) and then the lack of leg room makes doing up the harness like trying to button your jeans with your knees in your teeth. These are all known "issues" with the seat. It's safe, it fits in your car rear facing.

How long until it expires? Was it recalled? http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Press+Releases/2009/RECARO+Recalls+“Signo”+Child+Safety+Seats

Wendy

vdubpower

wow didnt know it was recalled....thats odd, that must have been around the time i bought it

i wonder if they will still do an exchange.

ive always had a love hate relationship with that seat, the straps always get tangled and bent out of shape.....i tried to get them to replace them and they didnt... so i took our iron and flattened them.

my bro has the signo2 which is a bit better, nto the same issues.

so in regards to my pic, does that look ok , the way it is sitting...most of the time it will be in our 2006 denali which is bigger, but i cant latch , i have to use the seatbelt, because the othr two prosports have the latches

weird, the latches dont come three across, just the right window and middle, not the left

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
This looks fine as it sits.

You need to replace the ironed harness before you use the seat. You cannot use it at all with that harness.

Wendy

vdubpower

Well it was the only way to get the kinks out. But I think I know what your saying. Hopefully I can get the recall and they can give me an up to date proride

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I get that. But by adding heat you've changed the strength of the fibers. They can break instead of stretch now. So it's not safe. I'm glad you have his infant seat still until this is sorted out. Both the recall and the harness.

Wendy

vdubpower

heres a pic of my 6 year old in the probooster

maybe it does fit ok...
what do u all think...

also the signo has a MD of 080408

and also has that goldish bracket

so i think it should be good for the recall. Hopefully they wont give me crap about it....i dont know where the receipts are.

i vaguely remember once checking that car seat because there was mention of a recall back in the days but this must be something I missed, esp if it was for a exchange..

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The gold bracket is a locking clip. You don't need that in your car.

I can't see much about her booster fit. At a best guess the lap belt looks good, but the shoulder belt looks like the headrest should come up a click.

Wendy

vdubpower

head rest was at its lowest setting, so that should work out....she liked it..
what i may do is wait for the performance probooster to come out, get that one instead because at least i can Latch it to the car

and then get another prosport for the 3 yr old

not sure why i have such affinity to recaro, but oh well....must be the race car driver in me...lloll

gonna give them a call later today about the signo...ill report back

vdubpower

i spoke with recaro in regards to the signo, and sent them the pictures they required. We will see how they go about doing the exchange.....i suppose they will swap it for a current model, so i guess the proride??

vdubpower

update, i received a new seat today

its a proride, not the performance pro ride

blue opal. Interestingly it was just assembled a few days ago on 10-2

so ill put the 14 month old in that rear facing.
This will be the first time i have used a convertible rear facing.

for the 2 old kids we used the Signo FF. We had a smaller car and it was just really sitting odd in that car RF

but ill give it a go RF in the denali SUV

The other 2 kids will stay in their prosports

For when the kids go in my car E class mercs. i still have to decide what seats to use. I will return the proboosters i got and maybe get a another prosport or a performance booster for the older kid,

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC