Question sunshine kids radian xtsl.?? thoughts.? reviews,?

lj.17

initially I was choosing between the frontier 90 and graco Argos 70. A ended up going and they didn't have the frontier 90 fabric I wanted. Recently I came across the sunshine kids radian xtsl. I knw it's a narrow seat mainly for 3 across but is the slim seat a problem when your trying to harness older kids.? I also know it's the only seat with steel base or frame one of the two. A from what I've seen online it's the safest seat. Any pros or cons.?

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
Sunshine Kids is now Diono, so any seat branded Sunshine Kids would have an older date of manufacture.

For a child that is going to be forward facing, I would not choose a convertible (even though the Diono version does have a booster mode, it's nearly useless). The combo seats I would recommend all have taller top slots, allowing for longer use, and make better boosters.

As for the steel frame, no, it's not the only one, but really, we don't know if a steel frame means anything at all. Is is better for a seat to be super-rigid? Maybe some flex is better for energy absorption. We really can't quantify any seat being safer than another. All we know is that every seat currently for sale passes US standards.

If you post your child's stats, your vehicle, any other seats in the car, and you budget, we can make some suggestions for you.

laurengt

I agree with the PP that for a FF child my first choice would not be a convertible, since you aren't needing it to RF. What are your child's stats? It's hard to make recs without knowing that.

Without knowing stats or your vehicle and going off of the seats you mentioned, I personally would go with the Frontier 90 for a FF child. I actually have a child that is about to outgrow his SKJP Radian XTSL and I'm planning to move him into a Frontier 90.

carseatmama007

I don't even like the SKJP XTSL/Diono RXT for forward facing. It was an awesome seat extended rear facing, but as a FF seat, it's just... meh. My biggest annoyance is the lack of leg support with it. The edge of the seat cuts DD off mid-thigh. I believe the Frontier would offer a lot more thigh support!

lj.17

Sunshine Kids is now Diono, so any seat branded Sunshine Kids would have an older date of manufacture. For a child that is going to be forward facing, I would not choose a convertible (even though the Diono version does have a booster mode, it's nearly useless). The combo seats I would recommend all have taller top slots, allowing for longer use, and make better boosters. As for the steel frame, no, it's not the only one, but really, we don't know if a steel frame means anything at all. Is is better for a seat to be super-rigid? Maybe some flex is better for energy absorption. We really can't quantify any seat being safer than another. All we know is that every seat currently for sale passes US standards. If you post your child's stats, your vehicle, any other seats in the car, and you budget, we can make some suggestions for you.

image-2636793881.jpg

she just turned 3 may 6. weighing in at 29 pounds. I have an 03 Chevrolet cavalier.

YinzerMama

Are you looking for a 2nd seat or is the seat you have about to expire or what reason are you looking? What do/don't you like about your current seat? She looks like she has a lot of growing room in what she has (if that is her in the pink and black seat?)

I agree with the radian as being meh for forward facing. I'd go with a frontier or argos. I think either of those are more fitting for a "big kid" in terms of height, comfort, cup holders, etc. If we ever end up using our radian for foward facing it is going to be more a matter of it fits in that spot vs. liking the seat for what it is, whereas for rear facing, I like the legroom.

I wouldn't say the radian is the safest seat by any means. I think Diono is the only company that releases its crash data so there may be some feel of transparency with them but there are lots of safe seats, we just don't know exactly how they did in the crash tests. I'd feel perfectly find putting my child in the argos or frontier, safety wise. Both are comfortable and long lasting... and safe.

Last edited:

lj.17

Are you looking for a 2nd seat or is the seat you have about to expire or what reason are you looking? What do/don't you like about your current seat? She looks like she has a lot of growing room in what she has (if that is her in the pink and black seat?) I agree with the radian as being meh for forward facing. I'd go with a frontier or argos. I think either of those are more fitting for a "big kid" in terms of height, comfort, cup holders, etc. If we ever end up using our radian for foward facing it is going to be more a matter of it fits in that spot vs. liking the seat for what it is, whereas for rear facing, I like the legroom. I wouldn't say the radian is the safest seat by any means. I think Diono is the only company that releases its crash data so there may be some feel of transparency with them but there are lots of safe seats, we just don't know exactly how they did in the crash tests. I'd feel perfectly find putting my child in the argos or frontier, safety wise. Both are comfortable and long lasting... and safe.[/QUOTE

yes she does have a lot of growing room. you can't tell from the pic but unfortunately the chest clip is broken. a piece of the top broke off so although it does buckle all you have to do is gently pull it and it comes undone. Most of the time when we're getting out the car and I tell her to unbuckle she tells me to look to see tht it was already unbuckled. It's also not a seat where you can take the buckle off and replace it. :(

jess71903

Ambassador
I'd look at the Harmony Defender, Evenflo SecureKid, Graco Nautilus or Argos, Britax Pioneer 70 or Frontier 85 or 90, Recaro Pro or Performance Sport.

Last edited:

Malka

I have both the Diono Radian and Harmony Defender. I prefer the Defender for a forward facing kid because it's easier to adjust and should last longer since it's much taller. And it's half the price of the cheapest Radian(on sale) :)

lj.17

I'd look at the Harmony Defender, Evenflo SecureKid, Graco Nautilus or Argos, Britax Pioneer 70 or Frontier 85 or 90, Recaro Pro or Performance Sport.

thanks for all of the suggestions. I really like the recaro performance sport. I just wish it had a cup holder :). but I think I will def go with the frontier 90 only because it seems more roomy so when she gets older she won't be so cramped.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC