Car seat positions

jenny08

Hi,

I may asked myself too many questions, please be patient with me. :)

My eldest rides in a FF marathon, and the car seat is installed on the passenger side.
My youngest in a RF bucket seat is currently installed behind the driver (so me most of the times).
I have to park the car parallel most of the times, so I have to take the bucket seat on the road, which bothers me. I was wondering if it would be better to exchange the seats position, that way, I would take the bucket seat on the sidewalk side, and later, when she sits in a convertible, I can fasten her seatbelt without rushing too much. My eldest usually climbs on the sidewalk side and climbs in her car seat. She can fasten the top, not the bottom part though.
What do you think? Any recommendations?
Thanks!

ADS

Mommy!

Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

Regarding removing the baby on the road I can see how that might make you uncomfortable. If you were to put the infant in the RF bucket on the passenger side I'm assuming you would have the older child FF climb across and exit/enter the passenger side?

Or would you be loading/unloading the FF child on the driver's side?

Personally if I had to unload someone on the driver's side I'd choose the baby (presumably a baby, if in a RF bucket! :) ) who isn't old enough to run into traffic versus a toddler or preschooler.

jenny08

Thank you!!!

Yes, that's what I would do.
Ask the eldest to go out on the passenger side by going underneath the bucket seat (that's what she's already doing anyway when we are at home, in the driveway).
But you have a good point, I didn't think about her being able to run off on the street! She is not that kind of kids right now, but it is always a possibility I guess. Oh sigh...

tiggercat

I would probably switch them, personally. I'd rather the older child climb in on the passenger side and start buckling while you put baby's seat in the base, because that minimizes the amount of time you need to stand exposed on the driver's side with traffic moving past.

I have my daughter's booster driver's side and my harnessed son passenger side. So my kids both get into the vehicle passenger side, and I can buckle my youngest from the safety of the sidewalk (girl child can buckle independently, which helps!). For school drop off, she just climbs past him to exit on the passenger side kiss n ride.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

jenny08

Thanks a lot Natalie!
My instinct was telling me to switch them. I am a bit paranoid and don't trust other drivers (and with winter coming...).
I will switch the car seats!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC