Question Winter car seat covers

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
We live in Minnesota, it's COLD. Very, very cold. Unbelievably cold. My BFF is due Christmas Eve <3

I'm looking for the warmest car seat cover out there, rather than have to put a bunch of layers on a tiny, squishy newborn.

I know how to cut the back out of a bundle me, I'm looking at the urban and the weather resistant for the wind breaking aspect. Is the material inside the urban more or less warm than the sheerling (sp?) of the classic? Also can I cut the back out of the urban with out it falling apart?

Is there a really warm shower cap style cover as in NO gaps on a keyfit 30?

ADS

katymyers

I live in Idaho and what I did when my daughter was a newborn (she was born in October) was put a light receiving blanket tightly around her to 'swaddle' her, then a small, thick, plush blanket over that, a JJ Cole Car SeatCover over that and then a canopy I made myself with flannel and minkee over top. It was a lot but she stayed warm, in the car all I had to do was pull the plush blanket out so she didn't over heat either. If that feels like too much for your friend, I had a friend use a shower cap cover over a Bundle Me which seemed to work well for her.

featherhead

Honestly, I think a couple layers is better. That way on warmer days baby isn't overheating in the seat. I live in Manitoba, so at least as cold as Minnesota ;). My last was born at the end of November and I used a JJ Cole Carseat Cover ( not the bundle me). Baby wore a hat, sweater and booties and had a blanket over top, and then the cover. On the extreme cold days (-40s with windchill) I would put a double layer fleece blanket over the cover.

Now I am due in 4 weeks with another little one. I sold my cover as at that point we weren't planning on any more babies. Of course we changed our minds. So this time I'm going to try with just the boot that came with my Keyfit, and blankets. If that doesn't seem warm enough I will get the same cover I had last time. I really liked it cause it had the zipper all the way around. I didn't have to pull the cover off and put it back on every single time.

Mary_Ann

My friends love their "petit coulou", it's made in Canada! It's expensive and I don't know if the shipping fees would be high...a lot of people in Quebec use them during winter.

cookie123

I live in MN too. And Matthew was a winter baby. He generally wore a fleece outfit in the car. Then I'd take a fleece receiving blanket and fold it in 4 and tuck it around him. Add a hat, then a Shower cap style cover over. He always came out sweaty. We had the Nuzzler, I think it was called - you can google it. While I liked it, it did leave a little hole in the corner by the handle.

I tried the cut out Bundle me. It just seems to not stay in place and was kind of a pain in there, imo. I hated it.

Oh, we had the Key FIt.

canadiangie

I think the JJ Cole shower cap style cover is fabulous. And it's right around 40dollars, so won't break that bank. What a nice baby gift. :)

Cnidaria

I've no personal experience with any of these, but the top-rated review on this Jolly Jumper Arctic showercap cover is quite the comparison-shopping tour de force. She likes the Jolly Jumper Arctic best.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Jolly-Jumper-Arctic-Sneak-Infant/dp/B005LVNS4S"]Amazon.com: Jolly Jumper Arctic Sneak A Peek Infant Car Seat Cover Black: Baby[/ame]

LuBaby16

I think the JJ Cole shower cap style cover is fabulous. And it's right around 40dollars, so won't break that bank. What a nice baby gift. :)

Agreed. My son was in an infant carrier during a long Alaskan winter. Wr used the JJ Cole shower cap style with his KF30 and a light blanket over him. He was always very warm with that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC