Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Where/How do people become a "Tech" or get this CPS training?

I'm so interested now! I live in a big metro area--near D.C. I would love to get some training myself! Please tell me more.
    Ruth--Mommy to 4: Dominic, 10; Jacob, 8; Joy, 6, Gloria, 3.5. My babies are growing up!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

Re: Where/How do people become a "Tech" or get this CPS training?

I live in the DC MEtro area too.

Safe Kids does several trainings each year in our area.

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

This Safe Kids link about becoming certified will get you started, and has a locator to see if a course is coming up in your area: http://www.safekids.org/certificatio...ification.html Be sure to toggle your search to look for controlled courses as well as public ones. Controlled courses require the instructor's permission to register. You can also look up instructors in your area to inquire about when another course may be coming up.

I just finished my certification course today by doing a local seat check event, and it was very rewarding and eye opening.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Well, i checked out the site, and although I'm near DC, there aren't really any classes accessible to me in 2007. I don't yet see classes listed for 2008. There is one location about 20 miles from me, but it's across state lines, and requires and additional $100 fee for "out of state" residents. Plus, it takes place over 4 consecutive days, for 8 hours a day. It would be really awesome if I could find a course that met once a week for 4 weeks or something like that. Any techs out there who can tell me what the usual format is like?
    Ruth--Mommy to 4: Dominic, 10; Jacob, 8; Joy, 6, Gloria, 3.5. My babies are growing up!

Quote Originally Posted by heyruthie View Post
    Plus, it takes place over 4 consecutive days, for 8 hours a day. It would be really awesome if I could find a course that met once a week for 4 weeks or something like that. Any techs out there who can tell me what the usual format is like?
    That's pretty standard. Sometimes you can find one that's over two weekends or something like that, but they're rare...

Keep checking the site every week or so. New classes are magically popping up all the time... and the course fee can vary depending on the instructor, etc. I got lucky... mine was free (except for the $60 Safe Kids fee)... so you never know.
    ~ Nora ~ CPST ~
    Mom to
    Miss Sidney (4 yrs)

~ In Memory of Aaron ~

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

The scheduling for each course in terms of 4 consecutive days, or a couple days a week for two consecutive weeks, etc. is pretty much up to the instructor(s) and his/her availability. It also depends on the availability of facilities to host the class and seat checks. My course was Tues-Wed. for two weeks in a row at a senior center adjacent to a hospital, with the seat check event at a local car dealership on Saturday (yesterday) to wrap up the course. The instructors said future courses would vary depending on facilities and instructor availability, and could be 4 days in a row or 4 days split up somehow. Hope there's a course in your area that works with your schedule soon.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heyruthie View Post
    Well, i checked out the site, and although I'm near DC, there aren't really any classes accessible to me in 2007. I don't yet see classes listed for 2008. There is one location about 20 miles from me, but it's across state lines, and requires and additional $100 fee for "out of state" residents. Plus, it takes place over 4 consecutive days, for 8 hours a day. It would be really awesome if I could find a course that met once a week for 4 weeks or something like that. Any techs out there who can tell me what the usual format is like?
    Which state are you in?

Last summer, there was a class in Leesburg and another one in Chantilly. If I recall correctly, I was told the one in Chantilly would be offered again in June 2008.

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

If you're on the VA side of the border you're in luck, there are frequent classes, you can find them at http://www.localendar.com/public/buckleupva

They'll probably stop for the winter soon, but come spring there will be a bunch.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley