MacGuyver Was Here

scoutingbear

Normally my dad is pretty good about installing the kids seats. But, I've been getting on him about having a top tether retrofitted into his '99 Suburban or keeping M RF as long as possible in there.

I loaned out my Size4Me to a friend and should be getting it out soon. But in the meantime, I needed to give something to my parents since they will watch the kid if she is needing a nap and her brothers have afternoon sports games. Anyway, she is in the MR at their house (outgrown RF by height).

The other night they put it in their C-Max. The install was decent minus a couple little things that needed to be adjusted. I showed him, told him, etc. He understood and I have no doubt that it will be lovely next time.

Then last night, he picks us up in the Suburban, with M in her seat. He knows to install in the lap belt position to free up the lap/shoulder belts for everyone else. The seat was in nice and tight. And the tether was attached. To something.

Ready? The LATCH straps were threaded through the FF belt path and through the seat bite. The tether had a heavy duty metal ring attached to it and was pulled down tight over the back of the seat. All hooks were attached to said metal ring. He was so proud of himself for finding a way to tether the seat. :doh: Yeah Dad. No. I'd rather her not be top tethered. But this goes to show that the most well meaning parents try to do what they can to make the kids safe; but sometimes the safest option in a situation isn't always the most ideal.

No, I can't always install the seat because she is often there with one of my parents and then will switch to the other one or many other factors.

I will be giving them the GN until my Size4Me is returned and assure them that he does not need to top tether if she is riding in the Suburban. And then? Back to the Size4Me so that she can RF in the bigger vehicle without the tether locations.

ADS

kathysr98

I can relate! My dad would totally do the same thing, so I'm glad his current truck has LATCH in the location he wants dd.

Lenae

My dad, who is awesome and loves his grand kids very much, would rather stay at home indefinitely than try and install a car seat, lol. A+ for ingenuity and effort, lol. At least he tried...?

As a side note, if he's got a third row in his Suburban, can he get the thing that clicks into the buckle in the third row and tether to that?

glockchick

You can also tether to the cargo anchors closest to the door in the outboard positions in the 3rd row in the '99 suburban. :)

desisue0131

Tell me a little more about tethering in the 3rd row of the Suburban, I just bought a 2004 and it only has 1 tether and I have 2 forward facers I need to put back there.

glockchick

I'm not sure about the 2004. That's a different body style. Do you have the owner's manual? It will say in there.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
A 2004 anything should have more than 1. Let me look it up.

ETA: Oh, wait, only one in the THIRD row? Yes, it only has one back there. There are more in the second row. You'll need to move kids around.

desisue0131

I'm not sure about the 2004. That's a different body style. Do you have the owner's manual? It will say in there.

I don't have the manual :-( one kid is old enough to booster so I could always do that. I have captains chairs in the second row and those both have latch.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC