Question So, what you all think about this?

ADS

YinzerMama

It looks really cute in the photograph but irl I think the baby would be happy for about 23 seconds and you'd end up holding them most of the flight anyway.

YinzerMama

I feel like a list of 20 things every new mom needs is usually more like 2 things that are really awesome and 18 things we're gonna try to sell you because you don't know any better.

Kat_Momof3

it can't be used during take off or landing, the baby only fits till their head reaches a certain point so for small children, it might last till 3mo old... but otherwise... yeah.

it's a very niche product that I would just never use. I mean it gives the illusion of a way to hold your baby out of the carseat safely on a plane, but if turbulance hit, I see problems and risks. Really, in terms of where baby should be when traveling, for me, air and car is the same... babies and children (though obviously an age without a seat in a plane is different for me than in a car because of crash dynamics and only 2-pt belts on planes) should be in a seat the whole time unless getting a diaper change/going potty or being nursed and burped (that's the one time I'd be fine with giving a bottle in a seat... you just don't know when and how fast turbulance will start and you can't pull a plane over for feeding)

Now, at such a young age, with skulls still forming and needing such frequent feedings, I'd hope that they wouldn't be on a plane for more than an hour or two at a time... and I'd almost prefer stops over a direct flight if the total air time is going to be more than that, but that's just me.

Stelvis

When flying with a young baby who needed to nurse -- I made the decision to take her out of her seat to nurse while the pilot had turned the fasten seatbts sign off. I realize it's not perfectly risk-free, but she was restrained while taking off and landing, and anytime the seatbelt sign was on. I also had to take her to the restroom to change her once. Air travel is statistically very safe, and the most risky times are takeoff and landing (or ascent and descent).

ETA: to be totally clear, I would NEVER take a child out of their seat in a moving car. Ever.

lourdes

When flying with a young baby who needed to nurse -- I made the decision to take her out of her seat to nurse while the pilot had turned the fasten seatbts sign off. I realize it's not perfectly risk-free, but she was restrained while taking off and landing, and anytime the seatbelt sign was on. I also had to take her to the restroom to change her once. Air travel is statistically very safe, and the most risky times are takeoff and landing (or ascent and descent).

ETA: to be totally clear, I would NEVER take a child out of their seat in a moving car. Ever.

We know! I actually learn how to nurse my baby without getting her out of her seat. Now I was not in a safe place but when you don't have a place to stop and your baby has cried for the last hour you take the change on you. At least I did........ no telling anyone to do ot either!

Stelvis

We know! I actually learn how to nurse my baby without getting her out of her seat. Now I was not in a safe place but when you don't have a place to stop and your baby has cried for the last hour you take the change on you. At least I did........ no telling anyone to do ot either!

Are you talking about in a car? Because if you're nursing your baby in a car with your torso unrestrained -- that makes your baby your airbag in a crash. Your body would fly into her and probably kill her. The seatbelt can only keep you from being a projectile if your back is up against the back of the seat.

lourdes

Oh I was able to stay with the seat belt on. It was really uncomfortable for me but somehow I manage to keep seat belt on. At that time my (○○) were really big. I actually did a few times because it was just my luck that when she had this mental breakdowns I was riding with one of my sisters and after 30 minutes of cry they get desperate and get the baby worst. But yes I think now 5 years later ot was unsafe. Will I do ot again? I don't know... but I stayed buckle.

Stelvis

Oh I was able to stay with the seat belt on. It was really uncomfortable for me but somehow I manage to keep seat belt on. At that time my (○○) were really big. I actually did a few times because it was just my luck that when she had this mental breakdowns I was riding with one of my sisters and after 30 minutes of cry they get desperate and get the baby worst. But yes I think now 5 years later ot was unsafe. Will I do ot again? I don't know... but I stayed buckle.

Not just seatbelt on. But with your back flat against the back of the seat? Leaning over with the seatbelt on doesn't count...

lourdes

No I don't think my back was again the back. The seat belt was on the "right" place but I had to lean a little foward. Like I said, I did it a few times and moments of desperation. If I was with DH the cry was not an issue.

Stelvis

I understand, and I know your daughter is older now anyway :). I just don't want anyone else reading this to try it in the future :)

lourdes

I understand, and I know your daughter is older now anyway :). I just don't want anyone else reading this to try it in the future :)

Now I know it was not ok but by then I didn't know any better. In my opinion I was doing a great job keeping my seat belt on. I didn't stumble with this website until she was 3 and FF since 1. She went back RF until she was almost 5. That's why this place is so important. Educating one parent at the time...

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Lots of Mamas don't know how dangerous it is to nurse in a moving car. I'm just glad you didn't get in an accident and that you know better now. :D

I know it can be done with the seat belt around Mama and baby in the car seat, but as was already said you actually have to be sitting up in your seat in order for the seat belt to do its job. The only injury my son had in our car accident was a bruise, most likely from my hand because I had my hand in his car seat trying to hush him up. He was hungry and I have to admit it crossed my mind to try to feed him in the car seat but I decided against it and was waiting for the driver to find a place to pull over. I broke my hand in three places. Until you're actually in an accident like that it's very difficult to really comprehend what kinds of forces are involved. Which is why so many Mamas not only nurse in a moving car but vehemently defend the practice as "perfectly safe." It's not because they're bad parents or even careless ones. It's because they just don't "get it."

lourdes

Lots of Mamas don't know how dangerous it is to nurse in a moving car. I'm just glad you didn't get in an accident and that you know better now. :D

I know it can be done with the seat belt around Mama and baby in the car seat, but as was already said you actually have to be sitting up in your seat in order for the seat belt to do its job. The only injury my son had in our car accident was a bruise, most likely from my hand because I had my hand in his car seat trying to hush him up. He was hungry and I have to admit it crossed my mind to try to feed him in the car seat but I decided against it and was waiting for the driver to find a place to pull over. I broke my hand in three places. Until you're actually in an accident like that it's very difficult to really comprehend what kinds of forces are involved. Which is why so many Mamas not only nurse in a moving car but vehemently defend the practice as "perfectly safe." It's not because they're bad parents or even careless ones. It's because they just don't "get it."

I don't know if the culture here is different but were I come from when I baby is born everyone wants you to ride with them. But no one can deal with the desperate infant cry. It get worst when you have 3 or 4 people in the car telling you to get the baby out of the seat to calm it down! At the moment I waa more worried of the baby throwing up than a car accident. But like you said, nobody understand the forces of the accident until they get in one

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC