Radian RXT Harness Pads

kristid

Is it okay to remove the harness pads on the Radian RXT when rear-facing? We just bought the seat for my husbands 2013 Malibu and it fits GREAT in his car using the seatbelt install (rock solid!) without an angle adjuster, but it's hard to tighten with the harness pads on it. I took the pads off for now and it tightens so much easier/better. I read the manual cover to cover, but I don't remember reading anything about the pads.

Thanks!

ADS

Pixels

The answer is it depends.

If you have the long pads that are above and below the chest clip and forward facing and in Canada, then they are required.

For all other situations, the answer is I don't know. Allana Pinkerton, Diono's CPST-I and Advocate, doesn't know, or at least didn't know a week ago. The long pads might be required in the US. They might be required in Canada for rear facing. They might be entirely optional. The short pads might be required. You'll need to contact Diono and press them for a definitive answer.

Lee-B-

I was told by a Canadian rep that they can be removed for rear facing but need to be used for forward facing. My seat came with the long pads (above and below chest clip) I requested, and received the smaller pads for free.

I have my 6 month old rear-facing without the pads. Not sure how official/correct what I was told is...but it came from Diono Canada

kristid

I have the long pads, and like I said, they seem to get in the way of tightening the seat to safe level. How safe can they be if they interfere with proper use? I guess I will give them a call.

ETA: And I live in the U.S.

Thanks!

Last edited:

YinzerMama

Hope this is OK to copy, it is not deeply personal or anything. I emailed them recently about the pads and they told me this -

Thank you for your inquiry. Both styles of harness pads are for forward facing and rear facing. Forward facing you are required to have harness pads not just the longer pad covers.

We do have smaller harness pads but with the high demand of consumers wanting them we are out of stock on mostly all colors. We only have tan, shadow and spring.

They are supposed to get more in stock - I need the ones that go with cobalt. This is for the US.

They really need to update their manuals and all current pictures of the seat. Those pads threw me for a loop.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC