Question Looking for a new car seat for DS

U

Unregistered

I wanted some direction on a new car seat for my DS. Hubby was in a car crash today, so obviously the car seat (Evenflo SureRide DLX) in his car is being thrown out. His vehicle is definitely used less than mine. So I don't want to spend too much on a car seat for it. At his 1 year appointment, my pediatrician said he met the requirements to move the car seat forward facing. I know, they now suggest to wait until the child is 2, but he does not do well in a rear facing position. And the only time we use Hubby's car is on a moderate/long drive where rear facing means screaming the WHOLE drive even if his DVD player has Baby Einstein on. If he was only in it for short rides, he would stay rear facing (like he is in my vehicle) . But please know he only rides in Daddy's car 1 or 2 times a month, if that. So 99% of the time he is safely rear facing in my car which I prefer for his safety, and can handle the screaming because we never go too far. So, I will be purchasing a car where he can safely forward face in DH's truck.

I have been researching and harness booster than convert to belt positioning booster look like they would be a good choice because they would last for a while. Right not, son is 13 months old, he is average on height and weight and meets the requirements that the seats suggest (don't know his specific stats now and he's napping). So, is a harnessed booster ANY different from a convertible car seat- other than the fact it cannot rear face? I figure, if I can get an "all in one" like the Graco Nautalis I wouldn't have to keep researching safety standards and shop online for months when buying a new seat. It took me several weeks of heavy research to find seats when he went from infant to convertible. I liked the idea of the Evenflo SureRide being able to keep him harnessed for so long, but I HATED the seat. So I think I want a harnessed booster that has high weight limits, that we can then use as a belt positioning booster once the weight limit for harness is reached. What harnessed to belt positioning boosters would you suggest (that are cost effective)?

For those who want to lecture me about having him rear face, please do not send negative comments my way. I am here for advice and assistance, not for judgment.

Thank you to those willing to lend their ears, and thoughts!

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hello and welcome!

How old is your son? I am assuming in between 1 and 2? ETA: I just reread and saw that your baby is 13 months.

How much does your son weigh? How tall is he?

I 100% understand what you're saying about not being judged, and that you're here for assistance and advice. :) We certainly will not judge. :) I do want to let you know, though, that we cannot, in good conscience, recommend a forward-facing seat for a child in between age 1 and 2. :eek: In fact, some seats you might be looking to purchase (combination seats that have a harness and then become a booster) have a minimum age of two, so it might also not be legal. :eek:

Could we help you find a good rear-facing seat that will be comfortable for your son and that will be easy for you to use? Sometimes installing a seat more-upright, or changing seats, can help an unhappy car-rider become much happier! :) Could we help you find a safe, and comfortable, convertible seat?

(No negative comments... just wanting to help. :) )

MotoMommaNH

Could we help you find a good rear-facing seat that will be comfortable for your son and that will be easy for you to use? Sometimes installing a seat more-upright, or changing seats, can help an unhappy car-rider become much happier! :) Could we help you find a safe, and comfortable, convertible seat?

(No negative comments... just wanting to help. :) )

The SureRide while a great seat does lack in comfy padding. Something with a soft cover and thick padding like a Britax convertible or Chicco Nexfit may be the difference between an unhappy rider and a pleasant one. Moreover, the Nexfit has a couple reclines that can be used rear facing so he would be more upright if maybe he's uncomfortable because of gas or reflux.

U

Unregistered

@MotoMommaNH I was definitely not impressed with the padding in the SureRide but even with my Graco MyRide 65 DLX he does not do well rear facing. Even in the spare car seat for Grandma Cosco Scenera which has barely any padding, he does fine and sleeps well if he is forward facing! It's only when he is rear facing he does not do well. The longer the drives, the worse it obviously is. And because of how seldom we do use DH's truck. I definitely don't want to spend a lot of money on the car seat (so Chicco and Britax are out).

@Patriot201 Thank you for responding, in a helpful non judgmental way! I have seen many threads about car seats where others were very negative to those looking for information! He weighs 24lbs (at last doctor's appt) and as for height, I would have to pull out records from doctor's office. Which I will try to do later this evening. I know the suggestion for booster is 2+ but many of the combination claim they can be used after an infant seat. So I guess I am looking to see which of those seats have good reviews. I believe if I remember correctly when I want to BRU the suggested the Nautalis for him when he became 1 and met 22lb minimum. I went with the SureRide instead, so I could try to keep him rear facing but once it got wrecked DH and I both think a safe, forward facing seat would be best for him. I have the Graco MyRide 65 DLX in my car that I love, and our spare is a Cosco Scenera. He dislikes all 3 of them rear facing. Forward facing he actually prefers the Scenera because it isn't as deep so he can see much better (I think this is why he prefers it). He naps comfortably forward facing in all of them.

IF we did choose to do convertible I would probably use the spare in DH's truck for the next couple of months until he was 18m then put him in a harnessed booster when he is heavier and taller. Actually, as I type now I think that is exactly what I will do. Another 5 months of rear facing in DH's car isn't that rough.

Once he is closer to 2, and we get him a combination booster what would you suggest? Also, because I have the Graco MY Ride 65 in my car, I could forward face that at 2 and that would work until he was ready for a belt positioning booster, correct?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Welcome back!

Depending on your budget, I might try one of the following seats:

Safety First Onside Air-- is a budget seat that is fairly-well-padded. It should last long enough to get your son to a safe age/weight/height for a combination seat.

Safety First Guide 65-- is an inexpensive seat that is fairly-well-padded. It should last long enough to get your son to a safe age/weight/height for a combination seat.

Diono Radian-- has a very low-profile and looks like a "big kid" seat. Many kids love to swing their legs over the low sides of the Radian when RF. It will afford you several years of RF room, then will work as a FF seat until your son is ready for a booster. :thumbsup:

Graco MySize/Size4Me/Headwise-- relatively inexpensive for how long it will last. It should allow your son to RF for several years still. It should definitely last until your son is ready for a booster. :thumbsup:

Regardless of which seat you choose, I would install it more upright to see if that helps your son be happier in the car. :) Many kids around your son's age are MUCH happier in the car when they are more upright, though it is completely normal for kids to be uphappy in the car regardless of which seat they are in and which direction they face. They are busy and don't like to be strapped down! :p :love: :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC