AZ CPS techs?

MomToJosh

I had a question, and I hope this is the right spot...I live in AZ and was wondering if car seats expire sooner here because of the heat. A friend asked me and got me thinking. With so many days of 110 degrees plus....would that make them wear out sooner? If there's no AZ techs here, does anyone know of a website that could tell me? TIA!

ADS

Melizerd

I'm not a tech but I know that we've had this discussion before and I don't remember anything like that. If nothing else this bumps ya for a tech to see.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
There isn't a hard and fast rule, as far as I know, but if you're in any very hot climate, I would generally say that 5 years is probably good, particularly if your carseat is ever stored in a garage or anything of that nature (not recommended - carseats should be stored inside, not in a garage, basement or attic.)

HTH

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Just for your own reference, we do have at least one CPST from AZ on this board. Hopefully she will be along soon.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm in so. NV and our SK recommends 5 years. I personally keep my seats to their expiration dates because I park in my garage most of the day and dh parks in a covered garage at work so our vehicle interiors are rarely over 110 degrees. But, I know others don't treat their seats as well ;).

cadensmommy

Senior Community Member
I am in AZ, and this was never covered in my class, so i really have no idea... I would hope that car seat company's would take the heat and cold to the extremes and not just the average climate..

Clarissa

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
In my class we discussed this. We were told it is 5-6 years. 6 years being the max. If you are up in Phoenix area and your car is outside mostly I would say 5 yrs. It gets much much hotter up there than down here. It does get got down here to, but not 120 degrees only about 101-103 as the highest. Sorry I did not see this sooner.

MomToJosh

THanks fellow AZers. Our car is parked in the garage at home for the most part, so we're probably good for the 6 years. I'll let my friend know. Thanks again!

ajnashmom

I am in AZ and I was told 6 year max by the tech from the fire department.

So are any of you AZ girls really good with a Regent and in the PHX Metro area? I would love to have my install(s) checked by someone who breathes this stuff. Thanks :)

azgirl71

CPST Instructor

So are any of you AZ girls really good with a Regent and in the PHX Metro area? I would love to have my install(s) checked by someone who breathes this stuff. Thanks :)

I am about 3 1/2 - 4 hours south of Phoenix :( and no Regent experience

Starlight is about an hour closer to you. I think she has a Regent.

I think there may be a tech up near Phoenix, but don't know for sure.

MySillyKids

i'm not a tech, but i have a regent installed in my van.

I'm in the far west valley.

hapaness

OK what about the Radian...with a normal lifespan of 8yrs...what would you say about that seat around here...

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
OK what about the Radian...with a normal lifespan of 8yrs...what would you say about that seat around here...

My instuctors say 6 years. They said they did not care what the seat was that unless is made of aluminum or metal they would not trust the plasitic shell after 6 years with the AZ heat. Now if you car is kept in a garge most of the time I would consider going 7 -8years depending on the circumstances. I think it has to be a parental decision when the manufacture says 8 yrs is ok. We talked about this in class because I told them I have a AOE that I installed in my sitters car for her grandson and the DOM is 2004 and the shell Specifically says "Do not use after December 2012" They still said 6 years.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC