Got Recaro performance sport as a shower gift

v1cky84

Hi everyone,

It's my first time posting but I've been a long time lurker in the forum. A friend of mine was generous enough to give DH & I a Recaro Performance Sport Harness to Booster Seat for our unborn DD (due date: 11/20/13). While we truly appreciate his generous gift, it seems like it will be a while before we can use it. I've read many recommendations on rear facing as long as possible due to safety reasons and this car seat cannot be use RFing so that may mean closer to 2 years before we can even use it (depending on DD's height and weight too, of course).
When is approximately the earliest age for appropriate use of this car seat? The specs say at least 1 yr and 20lb but would that be switching my DD FFing too early and therefore is unsafe? The seat expires in 6 years so I feel like it'd be a waste to just let it collect dust for 1.5-2 years until DD is ready to use it. We plan on having a second one in 2-3 years so I'd like to prolong the use & life of this car seat as much as possible. Should we exchange it for a convertible car seat so we can use it sooner? Or should we just keep it until DD is ready to use it?
I'd love to hear your feedbacks. TIA.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi Vicky,

I'd expect to rear face to at least two, but ideally much closer to four. So I would sell or return the Performance Sport, or exchange it for a convertible. I wouldn't keep it. You won't get much use out of it. And depending on what convertible you have, it may not last a whole lot longer. It has 18" top slots and many convertibles have 17.5" top slots. So you're looking at a few months extra.

Wendy

v1cky84

@Wendy: Thank you so much for your feedback. I really appreciate it. DH seems to feel bad & hesitant about returning it (as if we're being unappreciative if we do so) but your response will help me justify exchanging the car seat for something else that will be more useful for us. Thanks again.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Thank the giver profusely and say that the seat will not be useable for another four years, so you didn't want to waste his money by letting it sit in a closet losing lifespan.

Suzibeck

I have a Prosport and LOVE it but I didn't get it until my daughter was 5. She rearfaced until she was 4 1/2 because she is tiny. I agree with thanking the giver but returning it for a seat that can be used from birth, or put the money away to purchase another seat when your baby is much older and ready to forward face.

v1cky84

@carseatcoach & Suzibeck: Thank you for your responses. I plan on doing exactly that. We'll use the money to purchase another seat that will best fit our needs. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC