New Recaro Booster--anyone?

tlj

Has anyone purchased the new Recaro Performance Booster? I'm waiting for it to be available somewhere other than Right Start (simply because I'd like to find better discount codes.) I'd love to hear how people are liking it in real life--I'm replacing an expiring Vivo.

On a side-note, I installed the FR90 today for my daughter--what a breeze to install! She was bummed it wasn't soft like the FR85 Cowmoo her cousins have, but thinks it is still comfortable. Her brother (who will be getting the Recaro) loved it, but wants to move into a booster without a harness.

ADS

bigteamug

I'd love to hear about it too, esp how it compares to the new Britax SGL, which I'm also looking at.....

Last edited:

tlj

I'd love to see comparison pics of the Recaro, Britax & Diono boosters--I think that would really help in my decision making. I feel like I'm leaning toward the Recaro, but would like to know if it is what others have hoped it would be.

Our Vivo expires at the beginning of October, so I need to get one ordered fairly soon. (I do have a Nautilus in the interim.)

vdubpower

I'd love to see comparison pics of the Recaro, Britax & Diono boosters--I think that would really help in my decision making. I feel like I'm leaning toward the Recaro, but would like to know if it is what others have hoped it would be.

Our Vivo expires at the beginning of October, so I need to get one ordered fairly soon. (I do have a Nautilus in the interim.)

how or why does a carseat expire, its plastic, cloth, foam and metal, not a carton of eggs????

i have 3 kids, 5yo girl, 3 girl and 14month boy

bought a chicco key fit in 2007 and its been used for all three

next came a recaro signo, being used a a spare right now but soon the boy will go in it , from the chicco

i have 2 prosports, which i think are very good, . the girls are both in there

i have just ordered 2 proboosters, only 75 bucks each. I will use them as spares or as needed car seats, for isntance when I need to take the girls to school but cant take out the prosports/signo front he main kid carrying car

tlj

Although I expect a seat will last well beyond the expiration date listed by the manufacturer, it does have some degradation over time and may not be as effective as when it was new. Booster seats do absorb crash forces, so they should not be compromised through the aging process to do their job well.

There are several threads in the forums that address expiration dates and some videos showing expired seats in crash tests.
Here is one (not a booster):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wvCRz7BRAM0

I feel it is important to use the seat as specified by the manufacturer. I realize my seat isn't magically less safe the day after it expires--however, it is not supposed to be used. So, I'll turn it in at a seat check and use another seat if I haven't purchased a replacement before then.

nannykates

Basically the manufacturer stops promising the seat will work as it should. I think every child I transport deserves that promise.

Also the bare minimum age for using a booster is 4.

1mommy

i have 3 kids, 5yo girl, 3 girl and 14month boy

i have just ordered 2 proboosters, only 75 bucks each. I will use them as spares or as needed car seats, for isntance when I need to take the girls to school but cant take out the prosports/signo front he main kid carrying car

Please google "belles gift" before you put your 3 year old in a booster. You will learn that is unsafe for a 3 year old to be in a booster.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Please check the CarSeatBlog (linked upthread) for comments regarding how the Recaro Performance Booster fits kids at the low end of the stated height/weight.

vdubpower

ok i just received my boosters today, I purchased 2...

Initial thoughts

not too impressed, I didnt realize that it didnt have Latch system.....whats with that...i read the reveiw on the performance version and saw it did.
No wonder mine were so cheap. $75.

is the only difference in the performance probooster vs the probooster regular, the latches , cupholders and colors....or are there more differences.

So help me out here....i agree, 5 point harness is the best and i do want to keep that as along as possible.

If i return my proboosters, what are my other good options for seats that will be used on a lesser time than the main seats..

remember i bought these for when i (dad) take the kids to school, (not often)
the cars i put them in are either a 2012 E63 or a 1985 mercedes 500sel

the 2012 has latch, the old car just has regular shoulder seatsbelts in the backs . So i will be switching the seats back and forth depending on what i am driving that day

remember i already have 2 prosports and the 3 and 5 yr old are in those and they fit well,
3 yr old is 30ish lbs and 5, almost 6 yr old is maybe low 40s.

buying 2 more prosports is an idea but blooming expensive...

can u experts point me in teh right direction as to what is affordable and safe for my scenario.

I guess one option would be to leave one prosport and one probooster in my car and the same inthe Main car (moms)

meaning the 6 yr old would always travel with the probooster.

thanks for replys and advice

nannykates

Does the old car have lap shoulder belts in back? If it doesn't they will both need harnesses in that vehicle. If it does I would keep one probooster and look at an affordable harnessed option for you 3yo.

Convertibles
Evenflo sureride
Graco size4me/mysize/headwise
chicco nextfit
Britax convertible or classic convertible

Combination seats
Evenflo maestro
Evenflo securekid
Graco nautilus
Britax pioneer

I think another convertible might be a good investment since it sounds like the signo might be nearing expiration as well.

vdubpower

yeah im gonna trial fit the the kids in the proboosters this evening and just see how they fit,

for sure the 3 yr old is too small

even on our current prosports i havent lifted the head setting for the 6 year old just yet, so i guess with the prosports there is plenty of room to grow.

Maybe Ill just dish out and get 2 new prosports. One of the sites has them on sale for 202$ but they arent in stock

these are the new performance ones which i dont think have any significant difference than the regular prosport......

anyone know when the new prosports will hit the shops/online stores

vdubpower

oh and the old mercedes does have over the shoulder seatbelts on the sides

problem is that they dont lock very well.

overall the car is safer than any other car out there....

vdubpower

dunno about that.....reality is that my kids r too small for boosters and i need to dole out for combo seats if i am to take them anywhere in my car

Keeyamah

dunno about that.....reality is that my kids r too small for boosters and i need to dole out for combo seats if i am to take them anywhere in my car

Your almost 6 yr old is around 40ish pounds? If that is the case, most of us here are perfectly fine with a child that size and age being in a booster, especially if your just starting booster training him/her with those short, occasional drives. If I'm reading what you are saying correctly.

jess71903

Ambassador
Yeah, I'd keep the boosters and do just what you said. Put one in each car for the 6 year old, and put the ProSports in each car for the 3 year old. At nearly 6 and over 40lbs, she's a perfect booster candidate.

vdubpower

i put her in the booster as a trial run, the seatbelt does go over the top of her chest, close to the base of her neck.....

the Prosports are able to be converted to boosters right, but if she still fits keep her in harness, and then just those in booster method after that.....

i dunno......i dont like how the booster didnt have any latch...... so either i need to get the performance probooster or just get more prosports and use the all the way and never get booster (onlys)

Keeyamah

i put her in the booster as a trial run, the seatbelt does go over the top of her chest, close to the base of her neck.....

the Prosports are able to be converted to boosters right, but if she still fits keep her in harness, and then just those in booster method after that.....

i dunno......i dont like how the booster didnt have any latch...... so either i need to get the performance probooster or just get more prosports and use the all the way and never get booster (onlys)

If you want, you could start a new thread, with pictures of her in the booster (or in the pro sport in booster mode, or both). And we could evaluate the fit if you'd like. You can also blur out her face if you'd prefer.

You could also put all the info that is spread through this thread into a new thread started by you (like the cars and heights weights of the kiddos) and we could work on helping you there.

Although earlier in this thread you got some good rec's for some affordable seats for your three year old. Or if you'd prefer to keep the prosports for the three yr old, we could give you booster rec's for the almost 6 yr old.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC