my little guy is on a spica cast...how do we get home?

Tashinamommyto3

Alright, we're on our way home! This looks horrible! You can see how far apart his legs are...and he is casted up to his ribs. I can't actually get him back any father into this seat.
We had a less then helpful tech and this hippo seat is DIRTY! I had to roll a small AA blanket to put behind him so he wasn't hurting.
I know he's not properly restrained, and sadly,I just want to go home! We won't go out unless to a Dr appt. I just didn't know what else to do.
I'm gonna take a nap when we get home.

Last edited:
ADS

T4K

Poor guy and mama! :-( his legs do seem far apart....I'm sure that's for the heeling process? You are doing your best with his travel. I hope you guys can get some rest at home.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
For a spica cast that IS properly restrained. I know it's hard but there's no other way to do it. You can try your other seats when you're both feeling better at home, in case one is a better fit. But you've got the right idea, do what's needed, do your best, and limit transport to the necessary. Hugs, mama! It'll be over soon!

4boysmom

What a traumatic experience this must be! My now 3.5yo fractured his lower leg bone last summer and was in a toe to hip cast on one leg and diaper changes were a royal pain in the butt. I can't imagine how you are going to do that with that beast on :(

Tashinamommyto3

What a traumatic experience this must be! My now 3.5yo fractured his lower leg bone last summer and was in a toe to hip cast on one leg and diaper changes were a royal pain in the butt. I can't imagine how you are going to do that with that beast on :(

Fortunately, he's been potty trained for over a year, so err just have to balance him on the potty. It seems to work well. I just can't let go of him and he can't bend enough to hold himself with his hands.
Our problem though is undies....nothing fits! Lol

Tashinamommyto3

For a spica cast that IS properly restrained. I know it's hard but there's no other way to do it. You can try your other seats when you're both feeling better at home, in case one is a better fit. But you've got the right idea, do what's needed, do your best, and limit transport to the necessary. Hugs, mama! It'll be over soon!

Thank you! I thought I was doing it all wrong. I hope when his pain stops that we'll be able to get a bit better fit. Everything seems doable now that we're home and I've had a shower and a meal. Lol

4boysmom

Fortunately, he's been potty trained for over a year, so err just have to balance him on the potty. It seems to work well. I just can't let go of him and he can't bend enough to hold himself with his hands.
Our problem though is undies....nothing fits! Lol

Ah... the pics look like he is wearing a diaper. Yes much easier, in theory. My bigs did something to my 3 yo the other day and for two days he was non weight bearing so we had to figure out a version of that potty thing too somehow getting his pants down without him being able to stand. Luckily he's doing better now.

kelkel2090

CPST Instructor
For what it's worthI for I fit Hippos in our hospital and am special needs trained and I think he looks great. They make a wedge you could use instead of the blanket, but either will do.

kelkel2090

CPST Instructor
And if he's less than 33lbs casted you can install it FF in the reclined position. It may make him more comfortable to be more reclined. Did they give you a manual?

D&L's-mommy

my DS broke his femur at 19months old, his legs were set wide like your ds (but he also had a bar going from his nonbroken ankle to the broken femur, it was almost like a handle bar to carry him, lol), and the only seat the hospital had was not nearly as nice at the hippo. it looked more like an old 1980s seat, plastic seat with metal frame, and he could only be ff. I didn't know much about CPS then, but thinking back I cring at how badly it must have been installed.
My son was only in the cast for 5 weeks, they wanted 8 weeks, but he ended up being hospitalized with a cerebral spinal fluid infection and had to have the cast removed for surgery. but anyway, the point is that kids heal really fast. we were able to keep the cast quite clean (until he was admitted to the hospital), I found it helped to get cheap sanitary napkins and line the opening between the legs with them (fold the pad so it's half in the cast, half out covering the edges of the cast), that way if he does get messy while trying to use the toilet you can simply remove the pads and his cast isn't all messy.
I was also surprised how heavy his cast weighted, it doubled his weight.
good luck!

Tashinamommyto3

Ah... the pics look like he is wearing a diaper. Yes much easier, in theory. My bigs did something to my 3 yo the other day and for two days he was non weight bearing so we had to figure out a version of that potty thing too somehow getting his pants down without him being able to stand. Luckily he's doing better now.

We couldn't get undies or pants over his bottom, so we covered him with a diaper. I could see the confusion now. Lol

Tashinamommyto3

And if he's less than 33lbs casted you can install it FF in the reclined position. It may make him more comfortable to be more reclined. Did they give you a manual?

Thank you! I did get the manual,I just didn't have time to read over it in the hospital. We got a special wheel chair and had lots of instruction for his cast..I'm going to look over it in the next few days. I'm going to clean the thing to. It's just nasty! He weighs 31lbs before the cast, so the recline is probably out. He did seem comfortable, especially since he had a dose of medicine.

Tashinamommyto3

my DS broke his femur at 19months old, his legs were set wide like your ds (but he also had a bar going from his nonbroken ankle to the broken femur, it was almost like a handle bar to carry him, lol), and the only seat the hospital had was not nearly as nice at the hippo. it looked more like an old 1980s seat, plastic seat with metal frame, and he could only be ff. I didn't know much about CPS then, but thinking back I cring at how badly it must have been installed.
My son was only in the cast for 5 weeks, they wanted 8 weeks, but he ended up being hospitalized with a cerebral spinal fluid infection and had to have the cast removed for surgery. but anyway, the point is that kids heal really fast. we were able to keep the cast quite clean (until he was admitted to the hospital), I found it helped to get cheap sanitary napkins and line the opening between the legs with them (fold the pad so it's half in the cast, half out covering the edges of the cast), that way if he does get messy while trying to use the toilet you can simply remove the pads and his cast isn't all messy.
I was also surprised how heavy his cast weighted, it doubled his weight.
good luck!

Fast healing is awesome!
I felt like I was doing something on my own a few days ago. Since then we have had so much family and friends reach out to us. Then this community has been great. You guys have let me know I'm not alone and that I can get my little guy around safely.
Thank you, thank you, than you, for sharing your stories and offering help and suggestions. Then reassuring that my install and use wasn't as bad as I thought it was.
I just can't say enough thank you!

keri1292

I don't think it looks bad either. :)

He's adorable. I don't know if you cloth diapered, but I'd use a cloth diaper for underwear for now. The velco or snaps will be handy. Just don't stuff it. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You know those exercise shorts that snap down the sides to pull off for a triathalon or whatever? I wonder if an extra-small would fit him over that cast... Or if you have any friends who sew they could modify some boys' shorts a few sizes big with snaps for the purpose.

Tashinamommyto3

I'm trying to find snap away pants and I have a cloth diaper snapped over him right now, though it's a tight fit. I'm tempted to pin a big pf over him in a few days when he isn't in so much pain. Even with meds he doesn't want to move. I'm sure by the time we figure out a good system he'll be ready to have the cast removed. Lol

Tashinamommyto3

I feel like a good ball right now, but in my panic the other day I didn't realize I couldn't later edit and remove the images of my son. Anybody know if I can take the pics from this post off?
Thanks

keri1292

Yes, click on User CP at the top, scroll down to Manage Attachments on the left side menu and click the box and delete them. :)

Brianna

If you're using a browser there is an edit button on each if your posts in the lower right hand corner. From the iPhone app you tap the bar at the top of your post to get the edit button. Your posts are still new enough to edit, but if you ever need to delete a picture from an older post you can report your post and ask a mod to delete it for you.

Whoops! I didn't realize they were added as attachments. I assumed they were added with img codes.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC