my little guy is on a spica cast...how do we get home?

Tashinamommyto3

Title pretty much sums it up. Our three year old broke his femur today and will be on a spika cast for many weeks. I have aFR85, an almost expired regent,a true fit recline...and that's it. The hospital says they may have a spika seat to rent, but I'm leary of using seats that have been passed around many times.
What do I do?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Re: my little guy is on a spika cast...how do wet get home?

Can you tell us how much he weighs with the cast on and what position he's casted in? Any of those three seats are actually often good choices with a spica cast, but we can help more when we know more.

YinzerMama

Oh no! I don't have any car seat advice but I broke my hip when I was 4 and was in that sort of cast, along with a few surgeries, for many months. That was back when my parents could just toss me in the back of the station wagon. I hope your little guy heals quickly, it's not an easy situation.

Tashinamommyto3

I don't know the weight with his cast yet, but he right at 30 lbs without it. The Dr said he'd be in a semi sitting position. This is all so new to me, and right now that's all the info I have. He's going into surgery in an hour and I will know more then.
Thanks

Tashinamommyto3

Oh no! I don't have any car seat advice but I broke my hip when I was 4 and was in that sort of cast, along with a few surgeries, for many months. That was back when my parents could just toss me in the back of the station wagon. I hope your little guy heals quickly, it's not an easy situation.

Thanks! This is so crazy and scary. I hope he heals quickly to.
We actually called an ambulance becausei didn't know how to transport him when it happened.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

Good luck! Let me pull a previous thread link up that has a pic of a spica cast to the waist in a semi-sitting position in a Regent. It sounds like he should fit by weight in any of those seats, I doubt the cast will add more than 15 lbs, so if you read through the thread I'll post on how to add support if necessary, you will probably be fine with one of them and adding support as needed.

KelliBella

Thanks! This is so crazy and scary. I hope he heals quickly to.
We actually called an ambulance becausei didn't know how to transport him when it happened.

So sorry to hear this. Calling 911 is actually the correct choice. Closed femur fractures can be bleeding out in the thigh and not be real apparent. Very dangerous. Hope he feels better soon!

Tashinamommyto3

Thank you for the thread link...I have never been so happy a car seat isn't expired before. Or regent is good until February, but that's good enough for now.
They want us to check for before we leave so I'll be able to check fit tomorrow.
Thanks again for all the replies!

aept

Best wishes to you and your little guy! How wonderful that you already have a seat that should work. One less thing to worry about, I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Tashinamommyto3

This thing is huge...and he's more upright then we thought he'd be. Now I'm worried! Tomorrow is going to bring on a huge array of complications. I dint know how he can fit in any seat. I'm in knots now worried about how I'll get him home. Any thoughts? Should I just go with the spica seat they have here.

Last edited:

brookity

Do you have access to a Radian? It almost looks like he would fit in one perfectly rear facing.

My DD broke her femur when she was 3 and we used one of the hospitals Britax Hippo seats but if I had had a Radian back then I would have definitely used that over a borrowed seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

The spica seat (Hippo) is a Britax Marathon with the sides removed, and a wedge of foam to fill the gap created by the child's flat back and scooted-forward bum.

You can get the same result by using a rolled towel or blanket to fill the gap left when you put your son in the Regent (or True Fit.)

Either way is probably ok. It's up to your personal comfort level. Either way is way safer than transporting him lying down.

Tashinamommyto3

The spica seat (Hippo) is a Britax Marathon with the sides removed, and a wedge of foam to fill the gap created by the child's flat back and scooted-forward bum.

You can get the same result by using a rolled towel or blanket to fill the gap left when you put your son in the Regent (or True Fit.)

Either way is probably ok. It's up to your personal comfort level. Either way is way safer than transporting him lying down.

I agree, I do not want him laying on the back seat.
I'll check fit with the hippo seat. I'll probably post pictures for advice.
It makes me nervous to use a used seat, but I worry about fit in ours. I wish I had a radian! ...Ack! Why did this kid have to be a dare devil today!
In all fairness to him, I'm so glad he's going to be ok.we only have to be in a cast for six weeks..and I will only transport when necessary. Things could have been much worse.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

Yep, from what I'm seeing, I'd try the Regent, with a folded towel as needed (if needed.) I think he'd fit pretty well in it, comparatively speaking. But if you want to give the Hippo a try that's fine too- he's small enough he should probably fit ok (he's not exceptionally tall/long-torsoed, is he?)

Tashinamommyto3

Yep, from what I'm seeing, I'd try the Regent, with a folded towel as needed (if needed.) I think he'd fit pretty well in it, comparatively speaking. But if you want to give the Hippo a try that's fine too- he's small enough he should probably fit ok (he's not exceptionally tall/long-torsoed, is he?)

No, He is fairly average. You guys are amazing. I'm feeling better now, and I'll update fit and how we make it home tomorrow.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC